Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #31
rxcoop
persnickety curmedgeon

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiep
am on my 2nd N102 and need a new hard hat soon

did someone here switch from a 102 to a 103 and can compare?
thanks
i started with a 101, went to a 101e, then 102 and now 103. always wore an XL but a few folks on the intranet-thing said the 103 'fit differently'....on the web, ergo must be true. went to the local dealer and tried on a few...the xl in the 103 fit me just as well as all the previous models. now have about 10k miles on it and am quite pleased with, i think, lighter weight and quieter. nicest thing is the internal sunshield.

however, as always, YMMV.
<applicant for "Official Pharmacist of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" (r)>
rxcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:59 AM   #32
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaphod
hey Tage long time no see - maybe we'll do another freezing ride at christmas to see you again :)

Just wondering - i remember seeing you in the N103 in Corsica and i meant to ask, but forgot: when you're using the intercom with S., are you using speakers or headphones to hear?

X
We have a setup from Autocom (link here). The speakers fits nicely in the space "outside" the ears - without cutting away anything.
I can feel they touch my ears, but not pressing on them at all.

[TaSK]

(As a side note: this thread was started when I was new on this forum, and very disappointed at the same time.
The title of the thread includes "don't buy". Today, I would have left out that part.
My impression of the helmet is the same: very comfortable, the built-in sun screen is excellent, but the noise is awful.
So, it is still awful, but I didn't need to add that last phrase.)
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:48 AM   #33
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,587
I ended up getting an HJC, and it is OK, but very cheap feeling. I wore it several times, but didn't care for the visor operation.

At the MOA I picked up a Scorpion EXO 900. Great fit, nice quality feel, and works fantastic. The best venting, and quietest modular I ever had.

I got mine for $179 IIRC.

Quote:
The EXO-900 3-in-1 TransformerHelmet is here NOW! See your Scorpion dealer.
  • The EXO-900 is a Full face helmet, a flip front modular, and a 3/4 helmet a true 3-in-1! Quickly convert your EXO-900 from a full face helmet to an open face 3/4 helmet, the peak sun visor is included!
  • EverClear® No-Fog Faceshield and Retractable SpeedView® Sun Visor. Optically-correct clear shield with state-of-the art fog free technology. Anti-scratch hardened coating. Internal sun visor changes positions with the simple flip of a switch. Both Face shield and SpeedView® sun visor are toolless removal and install for cleaning or replacement.
  • KwikWick® moisture-wicking breathable helmet liner and cheek pads.
  • Adjustable front and rear vents for maximum airflow.
  • AirFit™ helmet pump air inflation system for a custom fit. Cheek pad and neck roll adjustment system for improved fit and wind noise reduction.
  • Sizes: XS to 3XL
  • Both DOT and ECE certified
I'll probably never use it as a 3/4 helmet, but I like the options.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:16 AM   #34
cagiva549
whats a cagiva

Oddometer: 2,454
I had an older Nolan modular not sure what model but it was before the sun shade , changing the visor was such a PIA that it became a daytime only helmet . If I were going to ride when I might be out late I would take my old RF 1000 with its quick change tinted visor . The Nolan was by far the noisest helmet I ever wore , felt cheap and weak and was very rattley . The visor would not latch open and stay to get ventilation on hot rides . The plastic trim attachet to the helmet felt loose and the fisor would vibarate from the wind unless latched all the way closed . Also I had to slam the front down sometimes two or three times to get the chin guard to latch securely . I forced myself to use it for a little over a year before replacing it , I bought it , I was going to use it . When I replaced it with a Multitech it was three days of riding before I realized I wasn't wearing my ear plugs , that big a difference .

Customer service at Nolan was first class , The gasket on the top of the visor got torn while cleaning one day , I called the destributor and had a new one in a couple days . I forgot about the rain , the Nolan had more water inside the visor than outside if I had to ride in the rain and thats after several times trying to adjust the visor . I just gave up on it . SEYA
05 ST3 duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing my geezer ride
cagiva549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #35
slyg
n00b

Oddometer: 4
removing the internal sun visor

hi all,
I just bought a Nolan n103, and first ride with it was through a shamal sand storm...now there's bloody dust throughout the internal sun visor and inner shell....scratching everything!!
Did anyone get instructions and tools with their helmets to take the visor and the foam shell out??

cheers
brad
slyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #36
Reefdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
helmets

Hi slyg
sounds like you are in dubai or there abouts...if so where did you get your Nolan from

Maybe you cam strip it down and give it a good clean with water pressure and let dry

reef
Reefdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #37
jokermtb
Blues Ripper

Oddometer: 112
I had a 102 for about 1 week, before returning it to get my money back. I have a big head, and the XL was sized so that the chin bar just barely contacted my chin area....I didn't think I'd mind that, but I DID.

I called up Nolan support, and they did say that this was an issue with the larger "AMERICAN STYLE" mellons....he told me to take a baseball, or softball, and roll it round on the eps foam in the rear/back of the head portion of the helmet, to flatten it a bit to make more room for my face.

I thought "yeah, smush the protective eps foam...." sorry, but damaging a helmet's foam to make it fit better didn't jive with me...

I now have a Shoei TZ-R that fit's like it was made for my head [I didn't fit well with the X11 or R1000 - go figure!]

Helmets! Like Shoes!
jokermtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #38
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 749
Hey folks!

Just got my N103 2 weeks ago. I absolutely wanted to have a flip-up with internal sun visor and pinlock. Not much choice on the market...
I am pretty happy with the helmet, it looks great, the aerodynamic is awesome, visor and sun visor work perfectly, it is not too heavy and it fits extremely good.
Only issue is the noise. I know it depends a lot on the bike, the windscreen, riding position, speed, wind, even clothing....
But still - the helmet "itself" is pretty quiet, the only problem is a lot of noise (wind) coming through between the neck and cin region and the helmet. It's got the wind protection at the chin part already, but still, if I just put my hand in the region between neck and helmet while riding it is absolutely quiet.
That makes me think there must be a possibility to fix that.
2 pages before "francs" was talking about a foam solution. Does anybody have similar problems and maybe a solution?
Any tipps much appreciated!

Cheers,
ABP

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #39
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl
Hey folks!

Just got my N103 2 weeks ago. I absolutely wanted to have a flip-up with internal sun visor and pinlock. Not much choice on the market...
I am pretty happy with the helmet, it looks great, the aerodynamic is awesome, visor and sun visor work perfectly, it is not too heavy and it fits extremely good.
Only issue is the noise. I know it depends a lot on the bike, the windscreen, riding position, speed, wind, even clothing....
But still - the helmet "itself" is pretty quiet, the only problem is a lot of noise (wind) coming through between the neck and cin region and the helmet. It's got the wind protection at the chin part already, but still, if I just put my hand in the region between neck and helmet while riding it is absolutely quiet.
That makes me think there must be a possibility to fix that.
2 pages before "francs" was talking about a foam solution. Does anybody have similar problems and maybe a solution?
Any tipps much appreciated!

Cheers,
ABP
Agree with all your comments for the same reasons and my experiences have been the same.
I have used stick in place felt and foam strips to better seal the shield at the hinge points with some success. Riding and turning your bead will also chane the noise level. Hunching your shoulders changes the air flow around the bottom and back of the helmet changing the noise level as well.

But I think the best solution is ear plugs and now around town errands no ear plugs but for everything else ear plugs fixes the problem.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #40
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey
Agree with all your comments for the same reasons and my experiences have been the same.
I have used stick in place felt and foam strips to better seal the shield at the hinge points with some success. Riding and turning your bead will also chane the noise level. Hunching your shoulders changes the air flow around the bottom and back of the helmet changing the noise level as well.

But I think the best solution is ear plugs and now around town errands no ear plugs but for everything else ear plugs fixes the problem.
Yeah, I'm riding 1000k's a week and always wear earplugs. Otherwise I would probably be deaf by now. But still....

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #41
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 922
My N-103 N-Com experience..

..FWIW I have a "long oval" head and wear an Arai Profile while on my Ducati Monster or Honda RC51.

I bought a Nolan N-103 N-Com from RKA Luggage and they installed a J&M Bluetooth headset into the helmet that is custom made for THAT helmet.

While wearing this helmet, riding on my Suzuki V-Strom, with an RKA "In-Charge" tank bag with a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS and Garmin XM Radio attached, I can make and receive cell phone calls, listen to GPS navigation instructions, listen to XM Satellite Radio, listen to MP3s from my phone, or the Zumo, communicate Bike-to-Bike via GMRS or FRS radio, all wirelessly via bluetooth in stereo.

So, the helmet, it fits my head, it is super comfortable on 15 hour rides, my first flip-up lid----really useful feature at bank drive-thrus and stops, the flip down visor is nice, with the stock, clear shield, it gives you the ability to ride all day with shade, and then into the night and have a clear shield.

I just bought the "Dark Green" shield and that, combined with the internal shield gives huge shade on the brightest days riding into the sun.

As to noise levels, I ALWAYS wear ear plugs. I have some custom molded silicon ear plugs that cost me $80 at a BMW motorcycle shop in Houston. With those plugs in my ears, I can hear all the music and NAV prompts without any wind noise. Now this is behind a stock windscreen on a V-Strom.

If I ride with this helmet on my Monster, the wind noise above 80 mph forces the volume levels up too high and listening to music is not fun without a big windshield over 80 mph. 70mph, no problem.

The build quality on my N-103 has been great. I have not had any issues with the helmet.

I am completely satisfied with this helmet. If I'm going on a long ride, this is my "GO TO" helmet.

If I'm just blasting for a Sunday morning on my Monster or RC51, the I reach for my Arai Profile, which also has a J&M Bluetooth Headset on it. It's nice to be able to answer my wife's phone call and let her know when I will be home for dinner.

Earplugs are crucial. With the right earplugs, you can hear traffic, music, NAV, phone, and not go deaf from wind noise.

The N-103 is great, I took the leap and am better for it. This helmet is THE long distance helmet for me now.

Cheers.

10/10ths is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #42
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
I got one about a month ago. Third Nolan, I had two 100Es before this and stuck with Nolan as I really like the combination of flip-up, ratchet strap, and pin-lock fog-free visor. Didn't like the idea of the external visor on the 102.

I ain't too crazy about the 103 though. It's OK and I'll keep it, but if I were to do it again, I'd shop around more. As mentioned many times above, it is loud... quite a bit worse than my 100Es, which as flip-ups, also ain't that quiet.

The other thing that bugs me is the internal visor... it doesn't lock in the up position so hit a good bump and it moves down 20% or so. Maybe my bike doesn't have the best shocks in the world (it really doesn't ), but I have to manually move it back up at least 3-4 times every 100miles.... kinda annoying.

I thought it was just my helmet, but I have tested several other 103s at various shops/locations and they all did the same thing... just hold it in your hands and shake it downwards.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #43
Vickinutah
VickInUtah

Oddometer: 9
Zumo 550 XM Bluetooth???

10/10ths, Just a quick note!! It is my understanding and experience with my Zumo 550 and Bluetooth headsets that the Zumo 550 does not transmit XM satelite radio due to the format. Garmin web site verifies this as did a response to an e-mail I sent to Garmin. I was fairly PO because I could pair with my phone and the 550 for music but could not listen to XM. I had to buy a Bluetooth xmitter and plug it into the A/V output and pair the 550 with it.

OK, back to Helmets. I am considering an N103. I have an HJC SY MAX II and the left retainer latch broke. HJC said 2 to 3 weeks for repair. I have two Ralley's this week and next and can't be without it. There are no parts listed on their web page for the SY MAX II. I e-mailed today to determine if I could just by the part and have it overnight shipped.

If they won't help me I may switch to Nolan. I have read several threads commending Nolan's product support and warranty repair. Does anyone know if the BMW System 6 is available in the US?
Vickinutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #44
Ron_Ces
Aging Hacker

Oddometer: 1,619
Land of the lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickinutah
If they won't help me I may switch to Nolan. I have read several threads commending Nolan's product support and warranty repair. Does anyone know if the BMW System 6 is available in the US?
I do not think that any BMW helmet is (are) available in the US. Too much bullshit litigation.
Ron
Honda Pacific Coast
Ron_Ces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:31 PM   #45
Vickinutah
VickInUtah

Oddometer: 9
Pissed Answer from HJC

HJC just e-mailed me and said no parts for the SY MAX II are available to the public for helmet repair. Too bad Looks like that N103 is in the near future.

I called the local BMW dealer and they are not aware of any importers for System 6 helmet. Figures. I'm sure people pay as much foe them as they do other expensive helmets.

Is anyone have input on the quality of scorpion helmets? Especially the EXO 900.
Vickinutah is offline   Reply With Quote