ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #46
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic
 
AllBlackPearl's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Valais, CH
Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper
I got one about a month ago. Third Nolan, I had two 100Es before this and stuck with Nolan as I really like the combination of flip-up, ratchet strap, and pin-lock fog-free visor. Didn't like the idea of the external visor on the 102.

I ain't too crazy about the 103 though. It's OK and I'll keep it, but if I were to do it again, I'd shop around more. As mentioned many times above, it is loud... quite a bit worse than my 100Es, which as flip-ups, also ain't that quiet.

The other thing that bugs me is the internal visor... it doesn't lock in the up position so hit a good bump and it moves down 20% or so. Maybe my bike doesn't have the best shocks in the world (it really doesn't ), but I have to manually move it back up at least 3-4 times every 100miles.... kinda annoying.

I thought it was just my helmet, but I have tested several other 103s at various shops/locations and they all did the same thing... just hold it in your hands and shake it downwards.
Seems to me as if you would have an old model.. The 2009 model should have this bug fixed. I never experienced any problems with mine yet. Fingers crossed.
__________________
Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them you are a mile away and you have their shoes.

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #47
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic
 
AllBlackPearl's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Valais, CH
Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickinutah

I called the local BMW dealer and they are not aware of any importers for System 6 helmet. Figures. I'm sure people pay as much foe them as they do other expensive helmets.
What about ordering online somewhere in Europe? Shipping might not be cheap, but not soooooo expensive. And you wouldn't have to pay German taxes, for example (it is already included in the final price you see, so it gets cheaper)

Maybe it is a stupid idea....
__________________
Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them you are a mile away and you have their shoes.

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #48
HighScore
No More, all done.
 
HighScore's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: in a coma
Oddometer: 914
I aggree with the op
I made the mistake of buying a nolan helmet with a bluetooth system.
Garbage!!
just shit
the bluetooth headseat sounded like shit, and the connection was always shorting out.
The windshield was crap at keeping out noise.
CRAP CRAP CRAP
__________________
I don't really give a shit how many miles you rode in a day, just as long as you have a good time and take lots of pictures.
HighScore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #49
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer
 
Snapper's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Oddometer: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl
Seems to me as if you would have an old model.. The 2009 model should have this bug fixed. I never experienced any problems with mine yet. Fingers crossed.
Manufactured 10-09, per sewn label on chin strap
__________________
Lateral G Junkie
Fear Deer
Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #50
jantarek
Beastly Adventurer
 
jantarek's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Southington , connecticut
Oddometer: 1,039
Well I need a modular / flip up helmet so I can do quick stops and use my dslr of the bike, and despite that I've been reading about Nolan being loud I decideed to get it anyway, I did own a several loud helmets in my riding years,
but before I got to that point I did look on some other brands:
Shoei just does not fit me well, ( I have a oval long head shape)
Scorpion is just crappy made and again wrong fit
HJC seams like cheapo but I still might try it, and few others I might still take a look at again, I don't mind spending around $500 or so for it ( I get 30% discount as MSF instructor )
Ok so here is my little review of Nolan 103
the quality of helmet gets 5 stars is just super nice and well made.
the fit is great, weight is ok and well balanced, comfort is A plus.
I like the latch system is quick and very easy to use.
Now for the loudness, its not just that is loud this helmet is stupid loud I mean there is no reason for high quality helmet like this to be this loud, at backroads speeds is actually more quiet if you ride with visor slightly open, it has this high pitch wind whistle that gets tired very fast. but I could live with that playing some music and even maybe try ear plugs ( I hate those lol )
but the biggest thing about this helmet is vents, they are totally worthless. The top one makes more noise and nothing else and with the mysterious air flow on bottom of your face ( with vent closed ) when you open the bottom vent there is no difference at all. it sucks totally and with New England weather I was sweating within 30 minutes. to make things worst there is no visor lock and as soon as you get above 60 mph the visor snaps back in so you only get that weird air flow that does not cool you at all.
Also the inner sun visor tint color is a little not my style but that's not a problem. So to finish this story, the Nolan is going back to the store this Monday and I will be looking for other options in modular world, any ideas?.
Jerry
__________________
My Blog: www.jantarek.com RR is on
Save $5 on www.smugmug.com enter this code:
TINCpSleQpUSI
My SpotWala
jantarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #51
Vickinutah
VickInUtah
 
Vickinutah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Utah, Best roads in the West.
Oddometer: 9
I 'll keep mine for now! (N103)

The first thing I noticed was I can feel my warm breath more with this helmet. This is largely due to the better seal than the HJC. With the chin gaurd I don't get the air whipping up and into my eyes. No more tears!! It is loud! But, I almost never ride without my custom earplugs so not an issue for me.
The Visor is ten times easier to open than the HJC which had the thumb tab on the left side and not in the center. It cocked crooked and would bind. The inner tinted visor is darker than the HJC so I don't have to wear sun glasses under it. I wasn't sure about the ratched strap at first but it is easy to use and actually keep it tighter than before.
Ditto on the vents!! I would like to wear one helmet that when you opened the vent you could actually "FEEL" the air circulating. Oh well, someday I'll find that perfect helmet. Laters!
Vickinutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #52
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool
 
10/10ths's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Bayou country
Oddometer: 842
Vickinutah....

....I bought my Zumo 550 and J&M headset from RKA luggage.

They already installed the necessary dongles to give me full stereo bluetooth for XM, FRS, Zumo nav prompts, et al.

Works like a champ.

Awesome setup.

Contact RKA for all necessary tips, parts, instructions, etc.

Their website is awesome.

Cheers.
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #53
Dream Rider
Servant
 
Dream Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Anywhere in the Northwest
Oddometer: 191
nolan helmet sucks

bought a Nolan N102 Com in August of 09, in July of 2010 the chin guard locked in the down position. Did I say it was noisy. Was given a N103 to use while the 102 was being repaired. No better. Noise seal was falling our. Trim on chin guard came loose and the cheek pads were not fully installed. Yea. My 2003 Shuberth has not failed to work yet and it is quieter than either of the newer Nolans. Told them to keep the repaired Nolan, I am getting either a Shuberth or a scorpion.
Dream Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #54
Dream Rider
Servant
 
Dream Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Anywhere in the Northwest
Oddometer: 191
nolan helmet sucks

bought a Nolan N102 Com in August of 09, in July of 2010 the chin guard locked in the down position. Did I say it was noisy. Was given a N103 to use while the 102 was being repaired. No better. Noise seal was falling our. Trim on chin guard came loose and the cheek pads were not fully installed. Yea. My 2003 Shuberth has not failed to work yet and it is quieter than either of the newer Nolans. Told them to keep the repaired Nolan, I am getting either a Shuberth or a scorpion.
Dream Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #55
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 47,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantarek
Well I need a modular / flip up helmet so I can do quick stops and use my dslr of the bike, and despite that I've been reading about Nolan being loud I decideed to get it anyway, I did own a several loud helmets in my riding years,
but before I got to that point I did look on some other brands:
Shoei just does not fit me well, ( I have a oval long head shape)
Scorpion is just crappy made and again wrong fit
HJC seams like cheapo but I still might try it, and few others I might still take a look at again, I don't mind spending around $500 or so for it ( I get 30% discount as MSF instructor )
Ok so here is my little review of Nolan 103
the quality of helmet gets 5 stars is just super nice and well made.
the fit is great, weight is ok and well balanced, comfort is A plus.
I like the latch system is quick and very easy to use.
Now for the loudness, its not just that is loud this helmet is stupid loud I mean there is no reason for high quality helmet like this to be this loud, at backroads speeds is actually more quiet if you ride with visor slightly open, it has this high pitch wind whistle that gets tired very fast. but I could live with that playing some music and even maybe try ear plugs ( I hate those lol )
but the biggest thing about this helmet is vents, they are totally worthless. The top one makes more noise and nothing else and with the mysterious air flow on bottom of your face ( with vent closed ) when you open the bottom vent there is no difference at all. it sucks totally and with New England weather I was sweating within 30 minutes. to make things worst there is no visor lock and as soon as you get above 60 mph the visor snaps back in so you only get that weird air flow that does not cool you at all.
Also the inner sun visor tint color is a little not my style but that's not a problem. So to finish this story, the Nolan is going back to the store this Monday and I will be looking for other options in modular world, any ideas?.
Jerry
Jerry,

As a former Nolan owner, and lover, I don't get the comment about the Scorpion being "crappy made". Mine is very high quality, and the venting is great, and it is the quietest modular I have ever worn.

Anyhow, you really should consider wearing ear plugs. Long distances without them, even in the quietest helmet, is very detrimental to your hearing.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #56
Boondox
Travels With Barley
 
Boondox's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: North Central Vermont
Oddometer: 2,879
I've been very happy with my Nolan N103 for the past three years and 30k miles aside from the ventilation issue. It fits my noggin very well, the optics and visibility are great, it's very well-balanced so the weight never became an issue, and customer support from CIMA Intl is top rate. Yeah, it's noisy, but in my experience all modulars are noisy enough to need earplugs. The convenience of one handed operation outweighs the noise factor IMO.
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #57
_Tuf_
Gnarly Adventurer
 
_Tuf_'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Phx, AZ
Oddometer: 346
I've always considered Nolan to have a very round internal shape; is the N103 different or am I just wrong? I have only had my Scorpion modular for a week but I think the quality is just fine and it is pretty quiet on my head. I figured it has mostly to do with a good fit and the exo 900 fits my oval shape perfectly. I usually ride with IEMs in anyway but the wind noise is on the quiet side of what I would call an average range.
__________________
07.5 Flat Black Tuono R


Anything makes sense if you don't know what you're talking about.
_Tuf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #58
jantarek
Beastly Adventurer
 
jantarek's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Southington , connecticut
Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Jerry,

As a former Nolan owner, and lover, I don't get the comment about the Scorpion being "crappy made". Mine is very high quality, and the venting is great, and it is the quietest modular I have ever worn.

Anyhow, you really should consider wearing ear plugs. Long distances without them, even in the quietest helmet, is very detrimental to your hearing.

Jim

well maybe the scorpion at the the dealer it self was beat up, when I pick it up to try it the bottom plastic band fell out and over all didn't seam all that high quality, but this just could it been me being tired of looking around way to much lol, but anyway the fit is just not there.
And I know you are absolutely correct about ear plugs, the only thing is that I have ear ringing in my left ear and the darn plugs make it worse, I'm starting to consider the custom set with build in head set for music.

thanks Jim
__________________
My Blog: www.jantarek.com RR is on
Save $5 on www.smugmug.com enter this code:
TINCpSleQpUSI
My SpotWala
jantarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:03 AM   #59
Witold
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Oddometer: 659
You should know that riding at speed is a noisy affair that slowly deteriorates your hearing. Over the years, you _will_ loose hearing ability as you ride, no matter how 'quiet' you make your helmet.

That is why people wear earplugs.

And that is why your complaint is quite silly.

Ultimately, it is impossible to make a really quiet helmet that is also well ventilated. That is why you should shop for a well ventilated helmet and wear earplugs.

Witold screwed with this post 09-06-2011 at 01:18 AM
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:52 AM   #60
Twinz
Studly Adventurer
 
Twinz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: VT
Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Jerry,

As a former Nolan owner, and lover, I don't get the comment about the Scorpion being "crappy made". Mine is very high quality, and the venting is great, and it is the quietest modular I have ever worn.
Jim
I bought a Scorpion EXO 900 (silver, medium) to replace my Vemar Jiano (and Nolan 102), and although I think the Scorpion is well made I cannot get mine to fit comfortably. Scorpion was nice enough to give me both Medium and Large inner liners, but the helmet continues to painfully pinch my ears after a short ride. Locating the spot inside to enlarge with a spoon hasn't really helped with comfort, so I don't use it anymore. I'm thinking about getting the new Vemar Jiano but only if their rain seal is better on the new model. Is anyone interested in my EXO 900...PM me?
__________________
Twinz, Montpelier, VT
04 aprilia Futura, Ash Black - love it!
Gone but not forgotten:
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014