User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #61
Kebo Biru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
i'm agree with u Tagesk, this type is too noise...* wondering try Nolan N90
Safety is Nothing, Skill is Everything....
Kebo Biru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #62
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,783
Nolan 104 due in the start of 2012 suppose to address the 103 short comings?????

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nolan-n104-helmet-solid
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #63
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,119
I bought an end of the line Nolan N-103 to replace my absolute crap Caberg. Huge difference in quality, price, fit, noise, operation, etc...
I compared the N-103 to an N-104 catalog shot and the first differences are the shape of the back of the helmet, the venting system, and the operation lever for the internal sun visor.
The N-103 beats the Caberg hands down in my opinion. First, the Caberg liner is thin and delicate and doesn't hold up well to washings (I live in a very warm and humid tropical environment), Caberg customer service is non-existent and they don't answer their phones, nor even emails when sent to the factory, the Caberg internal sun visor lever broke on my second outing and I ended up having to glue it back together as Caberg would not honor the warranty nor even bother to have a rep exam the helmet.
Was my experience with my Caberg a one off? No, there are 5 other owners here who suffered the same defect with the sun visor lever, all but one have switched to Nolans and the last guy can't get a replacement visor for his Caberg.
Locally, the Cabergs are priced $100 US more expensive than the Nolan N-103. A Schuberth is over $300 US more expensive than a Nolan N-103.
Expensive, no warranty support, lack of factory to customer service, expensive, parts non-existent, I wonder if BMW secretly owns Caberg? They have similar business models.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #64
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,148
I have a Nolan N-102 flip-front helmet that I never had any mechanical or fit issues with, but it was so much heavier and noisier than my solid full-face helmets that I just quit wearing it and the almost $500 helmet now lives in a box in my garage. The additional weight and less aerodynamic nature was much more noticeable on my 1150GS than on a bike with fairings and bigger windscreen.

Man, I don't know who you've been dealing with for BMW parts but I've never had an issue with availability for any bikes I've ever owned, even 15+ years old. A friend has a 25 y.o. Beemer and can get anything he wants for it, all OEM. I can't speak to the factory service issue, though. I've heard lots of negative about that but have no personal experience. I was aware of the cost before I bought, and I am very pleased with all my BMWs, best bikes I've ever owned. YMMV, of course.

Speaking of service, I ordered a new helmet from Competition Accessories yesterday morning and as I was sitting here reading this post the FedEx man showed up with it! That was about 26 HOURS from when I pushed the "order" button . Phenomenal service! I've ordered tires from them before and it's typically taken two days for them to land in my driveway.

Doug
Old 03-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #65
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,119
The dig at both Caberg and BMW is that, in some parts of the world outside the USA, their service is from the stone age.
They don't care as long as they can sell.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #66
mishaparem
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Got my N103 three weeks ago on a blow out sale (N104's coming in, store wanted these out, so I said I'll take one with a discount :)) it IS a little noisy, got more noisy when I put blue tooth in, so I thought I would work on that, and after adding the additional ear padding supplied with the helmet, it became even noisier, I really gotta work on my blue tooth padding! I noticed that when I "shrug" my shoulders up, lots of noise disappears, so padding under the helmet may be in order. The helmet is ridiculously quiet when I look to my right or my left as opposed to forward. The helmet flexes really easily, so when I yawn or chew gum my jaw actually creates enough separation under the helmet to drastically increase noise. It lets more wind noise in than an old Shoei I got when I bought my bike, but then again, I did a couple bike mods that I haven't ridden the Shoei with yet. That is all I have to say about helmet noise.

One of the mods I did to the bike was a right side mirror delete, the mirrors on my bike stick out quite a bit, and I have noticed that with the right mirror gone, I hear more wind noise on the left than on the right. My exhaust exits to the right, and the exhaust noise has gone down since I removed the mirror. It is as if the sound was also being reflected by the mirror.

Apart from noise, the helmet is a very good fit for my head. Tight, even pressure everywhere. Flip up is really convenient since taking off my helmet at a security check point that I pass through on my way to work is not very convenient, and plenty time consuming. On the other hand, next time I get a helmet, I will probably try to get a full face or one of the "crossover" ones with a solid removable chin bar rather than a hinged flippy thing. Not much traffic on my way to or from work, so I can go 3/4 for my commute, and strap on the chin bar if I am going to a more densely populated area.

my $ .o2

EDIT: Aaahhhhh Google, thank you SO MUCH for making me necro a thread :( sorry guys

mishaparem screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 12:23 PM Reason: dangit
mishaparem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #67
WacoDirtryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
You guys think the helmets are bad have you tried the sorry ass Ncom setup?
WacoDirtryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #68
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
No problem with n-com...

I have and it works very well for me (in two N43 helmets)
It's great for talking and phonecalls. I have the bluetooth units but music has to be wired in.

What's wrong with yours ? If there are problems, CIMA Int (866-2HELMET) should be able to help.

Cheers,
Peter
birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #69
wesplains
Nothing normal please.

Oddometer: 274
I have worn my Nolan 102 for several years. I think it is great. I wear earplugs anyways so the noise does not bother me. JUst my 2 cents.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #70
WacoDirtryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
I can deal with the helmet being a little noisy the problem i had was with Cima International not helping me on a bad Ncom and it was bad when i got it i called the day i received it the service SUCKS. After six months Competition Accessories were i bought the intercoms from took care of me and just put the Ncom i had back on the shelf and ate it and sent me a new one because that worthless SOB at Cima wouldnt do crap. When you buy Nolan products your stuck the place you buy the helmet or intercom does not deal with the warranty you have to deal with Joe at Cima and good luck with that.
WacoDirtryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #71
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Thanks for sharing.

I love my aging N102 and the N103 was on my long list to buy.

Noisy yes, ear plugs, always.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #72
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
I think the new N104 is a better helmet than the N103....

WacoDirtyrider I am sorry to hear about your bad experience with CIMA. My experience has been quite the opposite .

Joe set up my two helmets and he was very helpful, as has been the whole crew at CIMA.

Peter
birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #73
BiGR Rich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I have a Nolan N103 as well, but have no complaints about noise (aside from the whole "modular helmets are noisy"). The one issue I do have however is one of those fancy allen head bolts (in the first pic of the OP's) came out on mine. I contacted Nolan about it and they said I would have to ship the helmet to them for a replacement bolt and washer, but I've been waiting for the end of riding season for that.

Just an FYI.
BiGR Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #74
WrongJohn
Trouble Maker

Oddometer: 88
I have had a 103 since they came out, I bought it as it was one of the few solutions on the market for a flip up (internal) visor, pinlock, and Bluetooth for my daily commuter helmet as I have a con-call twice weekly during my ride in to work.

My gripes:

1) It leaks. The sunvisor gets water on it every heavy rain day, which then drips on me. Water leaks through the top where the face sheild meets up with the helmet, gets between the pinlock (because it has no silicon bead) and distorts my vision, sometimes enough I have to pull over and pull out the pinlock. I ride in seattle, I ride in ran almost as much as I ride in dry. This is a significant gripe. Water leaks in the roof vent as well.

2) It doesn't ventilate well, (compared to Arai or Shoeis which are the only two other brands I have used since the 80's (bell)) the front vents do practically nothing, The roof vent does do something, and does better with the sun visor down, And when all vents are closed (on those sub 40 degree rides home this time of year) I still get enough cold air in at high way speeds to be a problem. This creates problems even with a pinlock in place in sub 40degree F weather, and the crappy pinlock aggravates it further.

2a) The chin vents broke on mine TWICE (would not open), the front chin vent design is sketchy at best, and is likely to break soon again. This means 2 weeks without the helmet.

3) The pinlock doesn't have a silicon bead and is crap compared to the pinlock brand pinlocks (it's too thick for one). This means the pinlock moves against the lexan face shield with use, and eventually scratches up the face shield around the edges of the pinlock, it also means the pinlock while effective, isn't nearly as effective as the (pinlock brand) pinlocks I have on my Arai helmets with the silicon bead.

4) It's a Heavy mo-fo. It's by far the heaviest helmet I have ever used. That's partly because it has a really beefy plastic shell construction, and the modular construction AND the sun visor, and a molded lexan face shield (heavy compared to thermal formed sheet). So it's excusable. It carries the weight well. Still when I am out having fun (off road) it's the XD-3 because it feels LIKE NOTHING compared to this helmet.

5) It's noisy, compared to my Arai's (even my XD-3, which has it's own high-speed noise issues) on the same bike(s) it's suffers from both turbulence and a lot of "boomy" ness, and a fair amount of wind noise whistle.

I ride a KTM 990 with a cut down wind screen, but I am not completely clear of the turbulence unless I raise my self 2 inches off the seat (or remove the windscreen entirely), and sit really straight up. I have rode this helmet on a R1200RT, or a ST1300 it's totally quiet when the motorcycle windshield on those bikes are properly adjusted (with just the push of a button), enough to consider using it without ear plugs, and I always ride with earplugs. Heck on a St1300 you can ride at 60 with your face shield wide open.

If I stand on the pegs ont the 990 at 80 (indicated, the speedo is grossly off, probably about 69mph?), it's pretty damn quiet, just some wind whistle. So my point is it's not excessively noisy, but it doesn't fair well in high-turbulence use-cases and isn't as quiet as premium one-piece helmets. This is my first modular, and I assumed some noise increase was going to come with modulars.

6) There should be a recess in the mouth area for the mike. If I ever face plant with this helmet, I am likely to loose a couple teeth. Better yet the mike should integrate into the chin area, rather than being on a flexible boom, albeit when I buddy went down, being able talk on the mike, with the face shield up arranging the two and talking to the cops at the same time. A lot easier than trying to talk on the phone handset while standing on a busy road.

Loves:
1) The sun visor is what makes this helmet for me, I go to work at 1pm I ride home at midnight, Without a flip top sunshield, I would hate life. I also have 1/2" of black tape over the top of the sun visor for the winters, (because the sun is low). I can flip it up and down at will, while going through tunnels etc. It's also JUST the right shade. I wouldn't mind having an option a little more, but then I would need to change sun visors seasonally. The sun visor doesn't affect your depth perception and seems to be optically non-obtrusive (although I bitch to clean, it's very easy to scratch).

2) It's got a nice sized battery for the bluetooth, last me 8 hours, that said, I upgraded the battery with an RC airplane LiPO that gave me 12h and fits in the same recess as that covers a full weeks' commuting with music going.

3) I can have my 2-way radio (wired) and bluetooth paired and both working at the same time.

4) Sound quality is exceptional, when on a tourer, people don't know I am calling from a motorcycle unless I tell them. On the 990 it's a lot more obvious from the engine, but still I get excellent intelligibility and sound quality reports from people on the other end of the phone.

5) The bluetooth module doesn't hang out. I like that, I would have knocked one of those clip-on/stick-on units off by now several times, I wish all helmets had this recess and anchoring system. Particularly my XD-3 (which I love).

6) The flip top is reliable, and secure. You can hear when the locks engage, and it's easy to disengage one handed with winter gloves on.

7) The bluetooth buttons are easily accessible, usable with winter gloves, could use more tactile differentiability though.

8) The helmet is comfortable, it's a little rounder than my (more oval) head, I wound up adding about 5mm of high density foam to a small spot in the crown, and about 10mm to the sides just above the ears go get a really exceptionally good snug fit that is comfortable for 600mile per sitting rides. (I ride a 14.5 gallon KTM 990 Adventure super-tanker, and when sparing of enthusiasm on the throttle can get nearly 700 miles out of a tank of gas).

9) The ratcheting chinstrap is AWESOME, I can put on and take off the helmet with full winter BMW gloves on ONE HANDED. Try that with double d-rings. I love that ratchet so much that when this helmet ages out (next year?), I am cannibalizing the chinstrap ratchet from it if the replacement doesn't have one. EVERY HELMET SHOULD HAVE THIS.

10) the chin skirt does a good job, not perfect but better than on most helmets.

I ride this helmet in 30-100 Deg F weather, day and night, sun, rain, hail, and snow. It's a usable helmet.

For the tourer and 2 up Goldwing crowd, this is a awesome helmet, for the police and state troopers this is a terrific helmet due to the comms options. Off road this helmet is WAY TO HEAVY. On the KTM with minimal or no wind protection it's fine, as long as your head is completely "in" or "out" of the "bubble".

Wants:
Bike to bike wireless integration, I also want a open standard for in-helmet bluetooth modules, and bike-to-bike comms so you can communicate between scala, Nolan, etc. Oh, and I would like firmware upgradeability and programming via USB. Also so you can buy hemet from maker A, and buy bluetooth module with the features you want from Maker B to talk to a guy with a helmet from B and a bluetooth module from C.

I want to be able to handle multiple pairing simultaneously, that is, pair to GPS and Cell phone and cell phone and 70cm/2m HT (that has bt) simultaneously.

Bigger, more reliable vents. Water tight vents (when closed) and seals. I like my helmets to ventilate like a wind tunnel, but also NOT LEAK when the rain is coming down hard and heavy. This is the only helmet I have ever had problems with vents leaking, bot arai, and Shoei seem to have this problem solved which much less complicated solutions.

Permanent Hydrophobic coating on the outside of the face shield. Permanent hydrophilic coating on the inside of the face shield. THIS SHOULD BE ON EVERY HELMET. Why isn't it yet?

Pinlock with silicon bead and thinner material so it seals better and works better.

Better leverage on the sun visor control.

Better integration of charging connector (similar to the slave and wired HT connector integrated into the lower band of the helmet)

Bigger battery (self-resolved via DIY).

Earlier low battery warning, the bluetooth starts acting erratically when battery is low, this often happens 1-2 hours before the low-battery warning sounds (old OEM battery, new bigger battery it's a little better).

Better padding and fitment system (my left side padding pice has never fit quiet right.) Arai offers lots of padding options to get the perfect fit before I left the store, my Nolan Vendor had none to offer.

WrongJohn screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 06:19 PM
WrongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #75
mishaparem
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
The helmet was fine at first, but it seems that after opening and closing the face so much, the entire modular part of the helmet doesn't seat back on its seals. I'm thinking of stripping all the seals and replacing them with thicker ones at this point, and as mentioned by other consumers, there are lots of places where it wasn't entirely sealed to begin with. My latest issue is when I was riding at -2 deg C, I felt the wind flowing from between the face shield and the chin guard. I tried opening & closing all the vents, face shield, and face, but the wind just kept coming. I didn't notice this in warmer climates, but I've been riding in colder, wetter weather recently so I have to deal with this now. Too early to toss the helmet, only got it in April, and I can't afford a new one right now anyhow. I'll see what I can achieve with materials from home depot, I'll post back if I get any significant success.

EDIT: Ouch! I just went and checked the seals - cracked, ripped, and unglued from their seating. 9 months and the seals are scrapped o.O
mishaparem is offline   Reply With Quote