User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
alexk243 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
1986 Honda Elite 80 Wont Run PLEASE HELP

I have been trying to get a 1986 Honda Elite 80 running and I have done an oil change and cleaned the carbs. The engine starts and runs, but only for a few seconds and will die if any throttle is given. it idles ok for a bit then dies slowely. Any idea on what my problem is an how I can fix it?
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
ernest t bass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
My guess is, more carb work needed.

Is the gas tank clean and full of new gas?

How about the fuel filter?
Old 06-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 984
Have you checked the bystarter? The service manual has the instructions for testing it, or you can find them online.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
alexk243 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, it turns out that the jets were still clogged. I cleaned them out and it ran great for about 20 mins (idle to full throttle), but now it starts, but dies as soon as you it the throttle and also dies after about 2 mins of idling. Any Ideas what the problem is now? I was thinking the jets got clogged again.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
HiTechRedneck
Big Ruckin'

Oddometer: 1,405
Replace the fuel lines, and check the tank....it probably needs to be cleaned and sealed. And be sure to get a couple of extra in-line fuel filters

Also, does that have a CVT carb? If it does, the diaphragm may have a crack or pinhole.

The other thing you need to check is the bystarter valve. Essentially, it's the choke. When you apply voltage to it's circuit (when you start the bike), the voltage actuates the needle, and after a few minutes, it closes the enrichment (choke) circuit in the carb. If it's stuck, it can also contribute to your stated problem.

Another thing, pull the spark plug, clean it and dry it, reinstall, start it, run it, when it dies, check the plug again. You need to get an idea if opening up the throttle is starving it for fuel or giving it too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Whatever you say, Socrates.
HiTechRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
alexk243 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I think that I can rule out clogged main jet as I opened up the bowl and it was fine,. The bike does not idle now but it runs fine at full speed, which makes me think that it is a low speed or pilot jet that needs to be replaced. I am going to do that and as suggested I will add another fuel filter, even through the float bowl seemed pretty clean.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 984
Definitely check the bystarter -- if it won't keep running when cold, the bystarter may have given up the ghost; I don't know if it has anything to do with the idle when warm.

From this link: http://www.jacksscootershop.com/honda_info.html

Quote:
Aero 125, Elite 80/125/150/250, Helix bystarter (choke)
These models use an electric "choke". It's not a standard choke, in the sense that it doesn't choke off the flow of air (and make the fuel/air ratio richer). It is a device that shuts off the flow of air to the starting circuit as the scooter warms up. The bystarter is a small, black cylindrical device with two wires coming out of it. When the engine is running, 12V are applied to these wires. Over about 10 minutes or so, the bystarter warms up as the enging warms up. There is some wax in the bystarter (believe it or not) that is heated by a small heater. It expands, and extends the bystarter needle about 1/8". This is enough to close off the starting circuit.

After a number of years, the device builds up electrical resistance and it doesn't do its job any more. A new bystarter has a resistance of about 4 ohms. When resistance builds to over 10 ohms, it should be replaced.

To check for proper bystarter function, There is a complex test in the service manual that can be performed, but there is a simple test that works almost as well. Remove the bystarter and examine it. Are the wires in good shape? Is the needle in good shape? Nothing looks broken? Hook up a 12V source to the two wires. After about 10 mintues, the bystarter should become warm, and extend the needle 1/8" or so. Measure it with a pair of verneer calipers or whatever you have handy. If it extends properly it's probably ok. The only sure way to tell if it is bad is to do the full test as described in the service manual. This involves removing the carb and leaving the bystarter attached. Draw a vacuum in the starting circuit outlet. There should be little resistance when the bystarer is cold and plenty of resistance when the bystarter has been heated up. A bad bystarter will either not expand properly or not contract properly. Finding replacements can be difficult. The Elite 125 & 150 bystarters can be replaced with one from a '87 Elite 150. Honda still seems to be making these. The cost is around $65. Replacements for the Elite 250 bystarter can be obtained by ordering a Honda Helix part (they essentially share the same engine). The Elite 80, 125/150 and Elite 250 bystarters are not interchangeable, because they are different lengths.

Type bystarter length*, cold bystarter length*, hot
CH80 2.727" 2.902"
CH125/CH150 3.285" 3.442"
CH250/Helix 3.480" 3.652"

*Allow about 0.005" for manufacturing variations.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote