User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2005, 07:53 PM   #1
gagnaou OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Discovering Kansas

When I first came to Kansas quite a few years ago, here are the landscapes and buildings I was more used to:
Auvergne France

and here is what I found

Well, that was quite a shock at first, but as time goes by and you start discovering and understanding this new area, it grows on you and you end up liking it.

Last saturday, my wife was gone, I had the whole weekend completely for myself, so no need to say what I spent it with.

I had maped out a route the night before and was planning of exploring a few backroads in northeast Kansas with no constraints of having to be somewhere at a certain time.

First stop close to Alma

Aa I head south east to try to find some interesting dirt roads I had gone on with the "backroad touring of Kansas" group a month ago, I ended up by this interesting building. It looks like a old church that had been recently remodeled.

I finally ended up here

and then headed back north to go by this old house

sorry guys but I am fascinated by old stone houses that obviously had seen better days. I had to stop by most of them

Same house

I found this very interesting sign

that lead me here

I know that is probably boring for you guys since there are not that much motorcycle pictures but since it was wet and all, I was too busy playing "Peterhansel" rather than taking pictures.

For the ones of you who do not know who is Peterhansel, he won 6 times the Dakar rally for Yamaha and a couple of times for Mitsubishi in a cage.

Well, it was getting quite cold and wet at the end so I did not pursue my explorations much further. I went 165 miles, it was a good afternoon!!!

Hope you enjoyed the ride, next time I'll try to take more pictures.

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R

gagnaou screwed with this post 08-10-2013 at 06:23 AM
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:14 PM   #2
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Nice pics G. I like the stone house ruins, too. I'm mystified whenever I hear someone say Kansas is boring. It must be a different Kansas than what I see here.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:26 PM   #3
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,993
This is a one room school house. One acre of every township was dedicated to the school. The tower part is where the school bell was.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Is Mount Scott in Oklahoma or Kansas? I was there when I was shorter than the National Park sign. Yeah, I have a pic as a kid there.... I didnt like taking pics as a kid.

Are those volcanos in that top pic? Thats cool. You sound like me, I dont take many pics of my rides.... Can I say I like riding too much?
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:54 AM   #5
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble Bee
Nice pics G. I like the stone house ruins, too. I'm mystified whenever I hear someone say Kansas is boring. It must be a different Kansas than what I see here.

Kansas is boring - from I-70 at least. What gets me is that all of his ride was within 30miles or so of the Interstate and its a whole different landscape. The same is true for the much of the entire length of I-70 through the state.

A word to those travelling through, use old Hwy40, K-4, k-18 for a much better view along the way.

There are some pretty neat roads in Western Pottawattomie county along the eastern edge of Tuttle Creek and a little further east, all the way from HW24, north to the Frankfort area in Marshall County. Try out Hopkins Creek Road, about 4-5miles East of Manhattan, turn North at the trailer park. Turns into a nice, rutted minimally kept road.

Nice ride report, I miss that area of the state.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:56 AM   #6
gagnaou OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
This is a one room school house. One acre of every township was dedicated to the school. The tower part is where the school bell was.
Thanks Pilot for the information, this one must have been a school house too then?

Quote:
Is Mount Scott in Oklahoma or Kansas? I was there when I was shorter than the National Park sign. Yeah, I have a pic as a kid there.... I didnt like taking pics as a kid.

Are those volcanos in that top pic? Thats cool. You sound like me, I dont take many pics of my rides.... Can I say I like riding too much?
GlowinGreenKLR650 I do not know about Mount Scott, but as far as the first pictures, yes they are volcanoes. They've been extinguished for a while though

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
Old 10-28-2005, 06:11 AM   #7
matey peeps
Bead Buddy

Oddometer: 3,311
Great!
matey peeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:41 AM   #8
gagnaou OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy
There are some pretty neat roads in Western Pottawattomie county along the eastern edge of Tuttle Creek and a little further east, all the way from HW24, north to the Frankfort area in Marshall County. Try out Hopkins Creek Road, about 4-5miles East of Manhattan, turn North at the trailer park. Turns into a nice, rutted minimally kept road.

Nice ride report, I miss that area of the state.
Hopkins Creek Road is great, not when it's muddy though. The mud is so sticky that pretty soon your tires are full and rub on the fork and do not turn anymore. With all the ruts, no way to keep the momentum going fast enough to clean them out.

Yeah Kansas is not boring, even western Kansas can be interesting when you go on backroads and there are plenty of those out there.

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
Old 10-28-2005, 07:22 AM   #9
sherpa
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
Those old stone buildings are beautful....Thanks. Exploring the backroads of Kansas, instead of just using it as a conduit to Colorado, is on my list of things to do.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:21 AM   #10
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnaou
They've been extinguished for a while though
Extinguished... thats funny!
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:40 PM   #11
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Oddometer: 5,691
Great report and pics!

Maybe someday we will meet on one of the Backroads Touring rides, i pretty much rode solo this past summer, again nice report.

Hows the KTM holding up, if thats the bike that Nickels had i put about three thousand miles on it, a nice bike.

The old school house has deteriorated some since i was last there, slowly but surely its coming down.

Sod Buster screwed with this post 10-28-2005 at 03:45 PM
Sod Buster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:46 PM   #12
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer: 5,352
Nice pics Gagnaou

I grew up in Manhattan. My mind's eye still has pictures like yours indelibly etched in it. Thanks for reminding me of the beautiful parts.

Steve
'05 BMW R1200GS
(sp?) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:05 PM   #13
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,302
some of my favorite stories have been kansas ghost town reports. getting stuck in traffic three blocks from home makes them seem even more interesting.
andruboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:52 PM   #14
gagnaou OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sod Buster
Maybe someday we will meet on one of the Backroads Touring rides, i pretty much rode solo this past summer, again nice report.

Hows the KTM holding up, if thats the bike that Nickels had i put about three thousand miles on it, a nice bike.

The old school house has deteriorated some since i was last there, slowly but surely its coming down.
I sure do hope I get to meet you one of this day Sod Buster, I am always so impressed by the places you see and the talent that you have to share those with us.
The KTM still going good, about 11,000 miles on it and some were pretty rough
Nice to see the old school house when it was looking a little bit better

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
Old 10-30-2005, 09:24 PM   #15
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Nice tour. Plenty to see here, and the adventure is finding it. I meant to tour around Milford Lake this year and ran out of time.. thanks for the pics.

Bake

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote