Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #31
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,874
Great pics and commentary

Your Dakar looks way too clean and well put together, here is mine.

It is one of the best Adventure bikes out there, just don't tell anyone

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:19 AM   #32
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
What great pics!!!What a great trip!!!
One more for Dakar.
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:58 AM   #33
alzyck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Really Great Photos...

What camera are you using?
alzyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:20 AM   #34
LE Trainer
Bad Buddhist

Oddometer: 154
Please, more sir!
Old 06-22-2008, 06:45 AM   #35
Sevoman
Ever Vigilant

Oddometer: 906
Great Stuff

John,

Terrific introduction and RR to this point. How much difference a month makes. I was on those roads last year and none of that white stuff was on the ground.

As an aside...if your cell phone has a vibrate feature you may be able to awaken to that alarm...particularly if you have it in a pocket. ( I clip my pager to my scrubs when I am in a call room for that same reason.)

Ride Safe and enjoy. Looking forward to more installments.

Sevoman
Tampa
Sevoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #36
Siman00
siman00

Oddometer: 6
Your posts are outstanding. A good mixture of dialogue and tremendous pics! I'm leaving Clayton NC tomorrow (6/23) to meet a buddy in Winston Salem to head northwest to Alaska. Not doing the same routes, but will end up in Anchorage to visit his brother on or around July 6. Am doing a blog, since I don't know how to post pics here. (http://ride2alaska.blogspot.com/)

I'll enjoy your trip along the way.

Ride safe!
Old 06-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #37
screwit
One more time

Oddometer: 841
Thumb Some grea reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Red Baron
This is a very entertaining RR with beautiful pictures - a real pleasure to read. Sarting to remind me of "Wild Hogs"

Exactly what I was thinking. The only thing missing is a "rumble" with some harley riders. A great RR that I'm really enjoying. Keep up the daily commentary regarding the performance of the bikes. It would be interesting to see the mileage of the other bikes as well.

Have fun and ride safe.

screwit screwed with this post 06-22-2008 at 09:02 AM
screwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #38
gutsplitter
gutsplitter

Oddometer: 26
Hello again

My son and I met you three gentlemen along the Ice roads parkway - I was on an 1150 and my son on a 650 BMW. We just got home today - our three week trip turned into two because one of the discs in my neck decided on this trip (of a lifetime??) to go out and I had trouble sleeping and doing more than 6 hours a day on the bike.

Your report is awesome - I look forward to seeing more as you progress up the way we went. I may get around to filing something myself - though your pictures are way more awesome than ours (I think!).

If you come back through WA and want a meal and a warm bed in Omak - drop me a note. Would love to have some fellow Tarheels around.
03 Goldwing
02 VTX1800C
need another garage.....
gutsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #39
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,945
Is it only me, or do others, especially when confronted by such exemplary photographic skill, get a pain-like sensation when viewing the roads?

I look at this wonderful (and my wife will be reading this one) pictures, and I just cannot help but get pangs of jealousy and envy at what you are accomplishing.

Please, safe travels and keep up the phenominal written and photographic ride report.

God bless...

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #40
Makis54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Message for Grandpa Ray from Sarah

Hey Grandpa! Bring me a baby polar bear and some snow. Carmen, Lily and I miss you. Have you been in a blizzard yet? When you get back, we want to come and see you. Carmen says, " I hope you have fun on your trip." Lily says, " La la la la." We saw some bears too. Have you been attacked by lots of mosquitoes?
Makis54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #41
JohnSnyder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Specific responses to questions and comments...

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I hope you're enjoying reading about our trip as much as we're enjoying making the trip!

alzyck: I'm using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 "super zoom" camera (7 megapixels) with the optical zoom going out to 12x. It has a built in image stabilization feature. I've got other more sophisticated cameras, but I don't want to bring them due to their size and weight and expense.

Sevoman: I wonder how many people know what the "Sevo" refers to! I've retired from the practice of anesthesia, but when I was practicing, we didn't use cell phones in the hospital. We used the hospital telephone system, and putting that in one's pocket waiting for it to vibrate wasn't an option! I could set the alarm on my cell phone and do it now though...

gutsplitter: Of course I remember meeting you and your son on the Icefields Parkway! I'm sorry to hear about your cervical disc problem. I had surgery for a herniated cervical disc in 1996, and I vividly remember the discomfort I experienced before the operation. And thanks for the invitation - if I'm anywhere near Omak, WA I'll try to look you up!

MadBritt & Raginn Rabbi: I'm glad that you feel comfortable asking your wives to read this post!

And finally, Sarah: I showed your message to Grandpa Ray. He was REALLY happy to hear from you! No, we haven't been in a blizzard yet - just a little bit of rain. We have not been attacked by mosquitos yet, but we're expecting that pretty soon. Tell Carmen "thank you" for asking about our trip - yes, we've having a lot of fun. Nobody has gotten mad at anybody yet! And to Lily, tell her "kiss kiss kiss" from Grandpa Ray!
16 National Parks (2012) - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805842

JohnSnyder screwed with this post 06-22-2008 at 10:51 PM
JohnSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #42
Dratharr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Keep it up this is a great report!
Dratharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:04 PM   #43
jquinn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
great report

Thanks for the great report. I leave saturday for the same region.
jquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #44
JohnSnyder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
2008_06_22 Jasper, AB to Smithers, BC

It was 42 F (or 5 C) when we left Jasper this morning. Ray and I put on our heated Gerbing jackets and gloves (Doug packed “light” and really didn’t bring much with him – but he claimed he stayed warm with whatever it was that he wore). The sky was heavily overcast, and we expected rain imminently. My Aerostich pants and jacket are waterproof, so there’s not a lot of preparation I have to do in order to get ready for the rain. However, Ray and Doug struggled into their rain suits. Ray made the unhappy discovery that the rain suit he had brought was one he had worn a few (or quite a few!) pounds ago, so it was a particular challenge for him to prepare for the rain!

Surprisingly, despite the overcast sky and the low fog, it didn’t rain all that much. For much of the first three hours, the roads were wet, but we were fortunate to hit only three brief rain showers. After three hours, some of the clouds dissipated and we were treated to a blue sky filled with billowy white clouds. However, despite the sun, the temperature didn’t increase much, and Ray and I kept on our heated gear the entire day.

Today was a travel day. This morning, during the three hours it was overcast, we rode through mountains. There might have been opportunities to take some pictures had the sun been out, but that wasn’t the way it was, so we rode, enjoying the scenery without any thought to photographs. We saw a black bear beside the road on four separate occasions! We were traveling at about 65 mph so we couldn’t take pictures of any of them, but we found it intriguing that the dominant animal today wasn’t deer (we only saw one) but bear! Several of these bear were quite close to homes and settlements. We wondered exactly what the interaction was between bears and humans in this region. Obviously the people haven’t moved, and the bears seemed quite happy to be immediately adjacent to a major highway. As the day wore on, the topography changed from mountainous to hilly and trees became the predominant feature. There were lakes and rivers, and some meadows, but mostly we rode through forest. It was peaceful and serene. The traffic was sparse.

The 463 miles we rode may not seem like a full day, but when one is riding a thumper (one-cylinder bike) AND when one is fighting a head wind or cross wind all day, those 463 miles can get pretty long. We arrived in Smithers about ten hours after we left Jasper. It had been a good day, but we were ready for it to end!

Today my speed was between 65 and 70 miles per hour, and my gas mileage was 13.3 miles/liter, 14 miles/liter and 13.7 miles/liter. Converting this to more commonly used units, this becomes 50.3 miles/gallon, 52.9 miles/gallon and 51.8 miles/gallon.

There have been some questions about the other bikes. Doug is a motorcycle mechanic, so he obviously knows the inner workings of bikes. He has been very disappointed with the power and fuel mileage of his KLR650. He gets been 31 and 48 miles per gallon (compared to 50 to 71 miles per gallon for the BMW F650GS) and is extremely disappointed with the power produced by the engine. He feels it is absolutely not suited for the touring he is doing. What he is specifically referring to is highway speeds, at an altitude and against head and cross winds using a carbureted engine. If he were getting great fuel mileage, he could put up with the lack of power. But he has very poor power and also very poor fuel mileage. My F650GS has significantly more power than the KLR650 and gets significantly better fuel mileage. On the flip side, he has not experienced any problems with his engine's using oil. There have been a lot of reports about the 2008 KLR650s using a quart of oil every 400 miles or so. We’ve ridden 2000+ miles so far, and he hasn’t used any oil.

Ray’s Suzuki V-Strom 1000 has tons of power and gets fuel mileage somewhere between the KLR650 and the F650GS. Ray has no complaints at all about his bike. As far as my bike is concerned, I’m happy with the fuel mileage and I feel that the engine is putting out the power that it should. It gets buzzy above 4500 rpm, but since I changed the sprocket to one that is one tooth larger, 4500 rpm generates about 70 mph (indicated) or 65 mph (actual), and we don’t often go faster than that. The Russell Day-Long seat is a great investment. The MEFO Explorer tires don’t show any significant wear after 2000 miles on pavement

Tomorrow we will go to Stewart, BC/Hyder, AK.
16 National Parks (2012) - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805842

JohnSnyder screwed with this post 06-22-2008 at 11:21 PM
JohnSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:57 PM   #45
gutsplitter
gutsplitter

Oddometer: 26
More comments

I may add something from time to time having just gotten back from this portion of the trip - when we were in Smithers about 2 weeks ago - the front page story was of man just outside town having been attacked by a 300 pound grizzly - he managed to shoot it once - wrestle some - then got his gun back and shot it again. Made our thoughts on camping get damper than the weather was!!

We also were extremely happy with our Olympia jackets and pants and gloves - completely waterproof and well tested by us! The leather part of the gloves got wet but it never penetrated. And we stayed warm with the liners and light clothes underneath - even when it was 40 or so.
03 Goldwing
02 VTX1800C
need another garage.....
gutsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote