User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
PDsgt OP
Realistic about life

Oddometer: 304
R1200RT vs. K1200GT HELP!!!!!

I currently own a 1200GS and I love the bike, but after taking my first weekend cruise I am wondering if a sport touring machine would better suit my needs and wants. After browsing the BMW website, I am wondering what the big difference is between these 2 bikes. (Rt and GT) I know there is a significant HP difference, but realistically I don't really need to go 150mph, and I am sure the RT is snappy enough to get me to cruising speed as fast as I need to get there. So I am hoping you current owners will help me out on this one. Should I buy the RT or the GT.
PDsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,142
check out of Perry's threads. he kinda went through the same thing, although he does like to go 150.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317047

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321120
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,964
I have the KGT, used to have a 12gs & 12gsa and have ridden the 12rt. I think the RT handles twisties slightly better and it's low speed throttle modulation is less sensitive compared to the GT.

I ride with the screen in the lowest position (except in rain) and like the fact I can be more exposed on the GT.

Both can carry the same amount of cubic storage and are comfy for a passenger.

I always wished for a little more power on corner exit with my two R's and quite frankly, a little less than my KS. So the GT suits me perfect.

If power ain't your thing, the RT is a great bike. And don't get me wrong, it goes pretty good.

Get the one that looks better.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
PDsgt OP
Realistic about life

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC
Get the one that looks better.
That too is a subjective answer!!!
PDsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 863
I read your other post about your knee discomfort. I'm getting to the point that I may have to choose my next bike with my joint deterioration making a bigger factor in my final assessment. To be fair to your GS, give it a few more rides as you adjust to it and your muscles learn the new position you put them in. Every new bike I get, I ask myself if I made a mistake. A little time cures most of the discomfort and/or helps direct my choice to a different bar or seat, etc. Your GS has a variety of seat adjustments and low-high options. That would be an easy way see if minor changes vs a whole new bike is required. JMHO.

Good luck, it shouldn't cause you pain. Any of your choices listed would work and a few test rides will tell you what your body thinks is the best looking one.

Cheers

Bob
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
vokoun29
Preds Addict

Oddometer: 105
my .02

I have the k1200RS instead of GT (very similar to the GT) and I love it. I mean I love it.....until after about 200 miles. By then, my worn out knees are very tired of being in the same position, and there is no way to change the position they're in except to get off the bike and walk around a little. Then I'm ready to go again.
The RT gives you some options on moving your feet to a different location. I've been thinking about making that trade one of these days. 95% of my riding is commuting or trips.
I don't know how much power the RT has in relation, but I know the RS has more than I need.
Also, my insurance agent said my premiums were higher just because of the extra horsepower on the RS. She said it would be considerably cheaper on a touring bike, but I didn't ask if a RT would fall into that cheaper classification.
vokoun29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,138
I've owned 3 RT's and a host of other BMWs. I like them and in particular I like having a sport touring bike, but more recently I've found that for me the best BMW is a Yamaha FJR 1300.
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
tmh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
I've got an '07 RT after previously having an '00 RT-P, an '02 1150 RT and an '04 K-GT (the previous version).

I will have to say that I held off riding the new K-GT because I really didn't like the looks of the bike - too big a slab of plastic on the side. I bought the R12RT and have never looked back. I didn't need any more bike than my 1150RT was, but I was offered a great deal, and I'm really glad I made the switch to the 12RT.

I later rode a used (current generation) K-GT, and was also pretty impressed with that bike. But one thing which came up during this test ride - The K-GT just didn't seem to "fit" me as well as my R12RT. Maybe because I am used to my bike, or maybe because I have made some mods to it (barbacks and footpeg lowering). But there were other things which just didn't work for me on the new K-GT.

So that's another thing to look for between these 2 bikes - Which are you more comfortable on. IIRC the very first time I sat on the R12RT I felt right at home.

Also, I have gone to a V-Stream windscreen which, like a user said above about his K-GT, I leave in the full-down position except during heavy rain. Lots of nice smooth air comes over that windscreen in the down position on the RT, keeping things nice and cool but never windy.

Good luck in your decision,
Tom
Old 06-19-2008, 06:37 AM   #9
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh
I've got an '07 RT after previously having an '00 RT-P, an '02 1150 RT and an '04 K-GT (the previous version).

I will have to say that I held off riding the new K-GT because I really didn't like the looks of the bike - too big a slab of plastic on the side. I bought the R12RT and have never looked back. I didn't need any more bike than my 1150RT was, but I was offered a great deal, and I'm really glad I made the switch to the 12RT.

I later rode a used (current generation) K-GT, and was also pretty impressed with that bike. But one thing which came up during this test ride - The K-GT just didn't seem to "fit" me as well as my R12RT. Maybe because I am used to my bike, or maybe because I have made some mods to it (barbacks and footpeg lowering). But there were other things which just didn't work for me on the new K-GT.

So that's another thing to look for between these 2 bikes - Which are you more comfortable on. IIRC the very first time I sat on the R12RT I felt right at home.

Also, I have gone to a V-Stream windscreen which, like a user said above about his K-GT, I leave in the full-down position except during heavy rain. Lots of nice smooth air comes over that windscreen in the down position on the RT, keeping things nice and cool but never windy.

Good luck in your decision,
Tom
Nice stable TMH!
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:13 AM   #10
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,067
The RT will be a better two-up bike. The GT will be a better ultra-luxurious sport bike as it performs best when ridden aggressively, it doesn't like to be babied, short-shifted and the like, and the riding position is more sporty.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote