ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
Vance OP
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
My first 950 oil change...

OK...so I know that for a lot of you guys this is a no brainer, but some have mentioned that they would like a quick pictorial on the 9fiddy oil change...so here is mine.

First of all, one of my neighbors (PowerT) just bought a 950 so we thought it would be good to do the oil change together the first time to help each other out and learn the bikes that are new to us. btretired was our photographer...he's on the left. :-)

I must say that everything went as Antware said it would. The bike is put together very logically and things bolted up and off as described in the manual. Still, a lot of stuff to do for an oil change...but, it's the price you pay to ride the hotness.

First, off come these plastic jobbies on both sides of the bash plate:

Then...don't be a dumbass like me and take out the drain plug under the motor before you take the bash plate off or else it will look like mine here...take it off first:

(the drain plug is situated nicely and it looks as if the oil will run right through the hole in the plate, but it gets everywhere. Just take it off.)

No pic...but take the seat off with your key and the "glove box" on the top of the bike off with the four little screws that you see when you open the hatch...continue...

Next, you take the top/left "quarter panel" off of the bike but it takes some doing:

You have to unhook the left turn signal, the crossover, and 2 other fuel breather thingys. It is all hard to reach and a headache to get back together, so I would definitely consider the fuel tank breather mods mentioned in other threads. We pointed to the connections with the white rod as best we could with my cheap camera:

Looking toward the left side fuel tank from the front of the bike:

Same view, another connection. The cross over was taken off of the white, blurry nipple in the upper right of the pic:

Then, you take the left side tank off and there are 2, obvious fuel line connections at the bottom and this one toward the top, as well as one electrical connector. Simple:

Note that all fuel "petcocks" must be turned to the off position prior to removing the left side tank. 2 are at the inside, bottom of the tanks and are screw type and one is toward the outside/bottom of the left tank and is a conventional petcock.
OK...now that half the friggen bike is apart... you are ready to change the oil. Did you remember to warm up the bike? I hope so, because it will almost be cold again at this point.

Dumping the oil from the bottom drain plug was just like any other bike...but you are not done yet...oh...no....as this bike is a dry sump unit, you have to drain the other/upper oil tank as well. It's just to the rear of the front fender in the picture above...here:

After that, you need to undo the 2 bolts in the lower part of the oil tank that hold the large oil line in. Then, clean the oil screen up in the hole:

I just used carb cleaner to clean them all. I'm sure you have a better way...It's just all that I had handy.

Good lord...all of this and I haven't even seen the oil filter yet! That's right...run around to the other side of the bike and take out the other oil screen from here:

and it only goes in one way so make sure that you have the "fins" (like skegs on a surfboard) aligned down so that it will fit back in. If you let gravity pull the screen down, it will stop against some motor parts inside..so you have to sort of lift it a bit as you slip it back in. It will go:

OOOh...look. A new, scotts...everlasting oilfilter! Pop it in and tighten the cover (make sure you get the tricky, little O-Ring to seat properly:)

After that, make sure everything is tight and that you are not drinking too much beer because the hotdogs on the back of your neck are in recession. This is a good thing.

When you fill the beast back up with 10/50 motorex at $11.00 a bottle, you will be happy that you saved yourself the other 200 bucks for the shop to do the oil change. Fill it with 2.5 quarts...run the motor for 4 minutes and put in the other .5 quart. Yur done...and you can start drinking with this guy who showed up at the tail end because he heard there was beer in my little fridge.

That's it...

Next up...valve adjustments by whackos, shortly followed by carb sinks by screwballs...

Happy wrenching...

Vance

PS...thank you btretired and PowerT who graciously and at great personal expense came to my place for the oil change and brought the oil! Next one's on me!

Vance screwed with this post 02-25-2006 at 09:28 AM
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,674
not so bad, huh? welcome to the club!
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:45 PM   #3
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
Your help looks like it is more qualified than mine was...

I have owned the bike for 1 hour and it has three miles on it at this point...

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
Vance OP
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
That is too funny Steve. Somehow...it doesn't surprise me though. You like gettin into it methinks...
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:54 PM   #5
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
You make me sick with envy Vdog...I want another KTM and just can't do it right now.

Glad you are enjoying it.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:52 PM   #6
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 443
Hey Vance,

Thanks for the post. I have my first home brew oil change scheduled for this week. Your timing and photo ability are excellant.

Jack
http://tinyurl.com/4dndf
redfishguide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
woodsrider

Oddometer: 587
Good writeup and report, Vance! I might just have to do mine the next time. I do most all the work on my 450, but I've been pretty hands off on the 950 so far. Your step by step pics will help a lot!

1997.5 KTM 200LE Jackpiner
'75 Bultaco 250 Alpina (M137)
woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:49 PM   #8
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,586
Nice writeup.

PIA job.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:54 AM   #9
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,311
Awesome stuff Vance, thanks. I am going to busy with that shortly, good timing indeed.

So, lets see yer Carb stuff and what else you got? Great contribution !
Old 02-25-2006, 07:04 AM   #10
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754

Proof that even a drunk monkey can reset the needles in a 9fiddy
DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:49 AM   #11
Mikas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Great writeup, Vance! Thanks!
Mikas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:57 AM   #12
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
YOu should see an oil change on a F650GSD...pain in the ASS
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:05 AM   #13
Ostrich
Jaded and Happy

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
I do mine every 3,000 miles and looks like less to remember than the katoomer.

Just because it's a zoo out there doesn't mean you have to view it from a cage!

Don't be an impulse buyer... afterall you have time..
Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:14 AM   #14
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
Hey that was a great write up. Hurry up and do the valves for us now.
Thanks
-Pantah
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:20 AM   #15
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor

How so, 3 bolts for the chain guard(stock), three bolts for the filter, one drain plug, special pump to suction all oil out of the tank, refill, drink beer. 15 minutes tops. I modified the bash plate for better oil draining.
DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote