Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
Grantwallace OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
1999 ktm 640

Well Fellas,
I just pulled the trigger on a 1999 640. Only 1921 miles on the old girl. Supermoto wheel set and the original wheel set with three good sets of tires for the dirt. I traded a Gun and a few hundred dollars for it. He just was not riding it (Obviously). I rode it around a bit today and I gotta say after not riding for over twenty years this 41 year old was impressed with the power. It's gonna be a blast. I have read and learned a bit about these and I am an aircraft mechanic and wanted to know from you more experienced guys about the bearing issues. Is it just the one behind the clutch? Or is it the main crank bearings as well? Also is there a cross referenced bearing for the KTM PN. Those things are SPENDY.... Also Being that it has really never been ridden, Where should my concern be with respect to maintenance and maybe some problem areas having never really been ridden. Also what is the true model of this bike? It was not Originally equipped with Supermoto wheels...Other than that it is bone stock.

I have attached a few Photos

Grantwallace screwed with this post 09-04-2014 at 05:37 PM
Grantwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,303
Nice machine & a good score!

The problem bearing to upgrade on the pre 03 LC4's is just the gearbox mainshaft bearing behind the clutch. (the crank mains are freaking huge rollers that would probably outlast the rest of the motor) I think the bearing is a KTM special.

I'd call that a 640 Enduro, but KTM weren't very definitive about that sort of thing, 640 LC4 could be just as accurate.

have fun
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
Grantwallace OP
n00b

Thanks for the reply Clint! That really helps. I am looking forward to riding this weekend. I'll order up the bearing and get it swapped.

Does anyone have the tool I could use?
Old 09-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,440
that's a badazzed bike!... i bet it's wicked fast...

is that a cush hub?... i can't tell?... some weren't .... if not, you'd like it alot better w/one, especially w/street tires.... ......
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
Grantwallace OP
n00b

I don't know what a Cush hub is. Is it the one with the rubber isolators? The dirt wheel set does have a bit of rubber inside the hub. Will that make it less jerky on the road?

Never mind. I googled it. Yes, it have one wheel set with a Cush hub. I am not sure what the street wheels have for a rear hub. Can you tell without opening it up?
Old 09-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #6
Alik
viertaKTMotor *****

Oddometer: 225
Sprocket mounted directly to wheel hub = without cush rubbers. More direct power transmision. Not good idea for comfort, long travel, gravel and off road.
Alik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:25 AM   #7
kevsta
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I believe that was probably a 640 Enduro at birth too, KTM werent doing Supermotos back that far were they?

it looks a lot like mine (2000 640e) if you take the other wheels into account. Re cush hub I understood that all the LC4s had them?

nice conversion, youre going to have so much fun

I think I need to get the supermoto wheels option on board too.
kevsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
Grantwallace OP
n00b

Quick Update

The guy was running Avgas through this bike... Lots of Octane but heavy on the lead. I drained it and ran mid grade car gas through. It runs much smoother. I have been fooling around with it and needed to get a new plate for it but it is illegal to mount it vertically in MN so I had to make a new tag holder. Thank goodness I have access to a shopBot. I made this perfect tag holder. I'll Post pics once it is on the bike.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #9
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,791
Grant, I'd run premium in the machine and raise the needle a notch if it hasn't been done and the machine doesn't come off idle cleanly.

The low speed fuel screw is difficult to adjust and can be replaced with one that has a knurled knob. Use mechanics gloves to avoid burning your hands.

The machine should pull smoothly off idle and accelerae to 100 mph.

Some of us put a 17T countershaft sprocket on to replace the 16T, moves the vibes higher, that said you should get some relief around 4200-45000 rpm in top gear.

There are some other tricks in the index but a throttle lock really helped me the most on the highway.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:23 AM   #10
Grantwallace OP
n00b

Thanks for the info. I'll look at it tonight. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do on the carb setup too.....
Old 09-16-2014, 07:24 AM   #11
kevsta
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
be aware that as it's not the high flow engine, and it has the stock exhaust (?) its not recommended to look at the "standard carb / airbox mods" as these models are prone to destructive detonation without a much better exhaust system fitted at the very least.

I just learnt this about mine a few weeks back here too.

standard set up type stuff is ok, but bigger jets, losing airbox covers etc is all off limits unless youre happy to take the risk of blowing it up.
kevsta is offline   Reply With Quote