Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2006, 06:33 AM   #1741
Motophoto
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks for the information rjf, I guess with those new rules we can look forward to a Aprilia 450 V-Twin next year in the 07 Dakar, maybe .
Motophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:34 AM   #1742
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,889
Guess this means that there will be quite a few 660 Rally bikes flooding the used bike market at good prices!
Old 01-30-2006, 01:39 AM   #1743
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig
Guess this means that there will be quite a few 660 Rally bikes flooding the used bike market at good prices!
Yeah - but by then we'll all be lusting after the REAL dakar bikes (KTM 450 Vees)
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:02 AM   #1744
QMan
prof. dirt mover

Oddometer: 180
No need for drooling... you just need cash..

http://www.mecasystem.fr
QMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:37 AM   #1745
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig
The big singles are allowed still (so I don't expect 2nd hand Rallye prices to plumet), and still dominating the smaller bikes, though Fretinge on the WR450 and especially Jonah Street on a KTM525 put in some impressive stage times, but weren't in the hunt for the overall victory.

No small twins entered this year even though they were eligible. I guess it would have only been the Aprillia factory that could of entered one if they wanted too anyway. Next year should / could be different since they'll start selling the production version of the 450 twin before then.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:38 AM   #1746
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by afgarcia2
Many of the modifications listed on previous replies to your request are on my 2002 640 Adevnture. two i did not see are:

(1) Scotts steering damper. Very expensive ($400.00+), and requires scary welding, but the bike is completely transformed by this modification. I had read about the advantages of steering dampers, but I was still very surprised at the magnitude of improvment. The 640 with the steering damper installed is much easier to keep on course, especially on very rocky and rutted downhills.

(2) chain guide from some other KTM (see photo). I don't think this chain guide works on 2003 640 Adventures, because the swing arm on the '03 is different. My '02 came with a few brackets with holes near the stock "chain guide", and it turned out the part numbers below fit those holes and brackets perfectly. I don't know about non '02 Adventures, but the set up has worked perfectly on my 2002 for a several thousand miles. Total price for all parts was $44.76. The KTM part numbers are:
50207070044 retaining plate
54607066100 chain guide
0015060553 HH collar screw
0015060163 HH collar screw
Just how many of these tidbits lay unearthed within these megathreads? I was looking for something completely different, and Google dumped me into this thread on this page and here is a nice upgrade. i believe clintnz (i think?) said the chain guide on the adv is mickey mouse and he upgraded his with a Husky part that was surprisingly plug n' play. Here are KTM part numbers that at least work with pre-2003 models. off to check on the differences, if any.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:29 AM   #1747
meat popsicle
Ignostic

The 2003 swingarm is P/N 58404030344
The 2002 swingarm is P/N 58404030044
(but the sheet notes it is replaced by the later P/N)

So it might be true that the chain guide upgrades listed above are not plug n' play on the later model swingarms.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:36 PM   #1748
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Just how many of these tidbits lay unearthed within these megathreads? I was looking for something completely different, and Google dumped me into this thread on this page and here is a nice upgrade. i believe clintnz (i think?) said the chain guide on the adv is mickey mouse and he upgraded his with a Husky part that was surprisingly plug n' play. Here are KTM part numbers that at least work with pre-2003 models. off to check on the differences, if any.
Dunno about non '02's, but that is the setup I swapped out to last year. The new parts are much beefier and made of metal where the stockers have a lot of plastic in 'em.

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:54 PM   #1749
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
I have had a Scots on the last two dirt bikes and put an emig on my 640 and wow. They helped the dirt bikes in most situations but it seems the bigger the bike the more the benefit. Did a lot of sand with ease on my last trip. Totally worth the effort. I was contemplating getting the 20 mm offsets but stayed with the 18's and glad I did in the tight stuff. It still tracks wonderfully in the sand.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:55 PM   #1750
mars
Starbucks anyone?

I have had a Scots on the last two dirt bikes and put an emig on my 640 and wow. They helped the dirt bikes in most situations but it seems the bigger the bike the more the benefit. Did a lot of sand with ease on my last trip. Totally worth the effort. I was contemplating getting the 20 mm offsets but stayed with the 18's and glad I did in the tight stuff. It still tracks wonderfully in the sand.
http://marsman.smugmug.com/photos/46197977-M.jpg
Old 01-31-2006, 06:09 PM   #1751
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars
http://marsman.smugmug.com/photos/46197977-M.jpg
man that's some bling! I got the Scots on my Adventure but havn't had any fun with it yet. I still need to dial it in. I have one more week before I leave for Baja and would like that sucker dialed.

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:33 PM   #1752
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate
man that's some bling! I got the Scots on my Adventure but havn't had any fun with it yet. I still need to dial it in. I have one more week before I leave for Baja and would like that sucker dialed.

Nate

Old 01-31-2006, 06:55 PM   #1753
mars
Starbucks anyone?

i dont think you will need any dial in. my emig worked great in the middle setting.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:37 AM   #1754
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,292
Hi John. How was your trip? I need to look into a dampener for mine. Would have helped in the soft stuff this past weekend.

Errin
Old 02-01-2006, 05:15 AM   #1755
mars
Starbucks anyone?

it was great. i am working on a trip report this week along with all the other issues of being gone for 2 weeks. the cornering technique that scot taught was a real good thing on this trip. we had some 10 hour in the saddle days and squaring off the corners helped me keep my energy level up. much rougher roads than we did with scot that day and i loved every minute of it. we rode in sand, silt, hardpack, rock and lots of water crossings.
later dude.
good to hear from ya
john