User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #7141
AEsco48
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Transmission issues...

Two things are happening on my 2002 Adventure thats new to me.

1st is that if I am stopped and I ride off and give it a little more gas then the minimum as I take out the clutch I get a noise that is like a intermittent slipping/friction noise. I am not talking about giving it a lot of gas... just enough to ride of a little faster then the minimum.

If 1/4 of a liter of car oil was put in to top it off... Could that have affected the clutch plates?

Other thing is when I go from 2nd to 1st if I am riding really slow and just clutch in and click down it goes into N and I have to clutch in and kick down 1 or two times with extra force to get it into 1st.

Thank you!
AEsco48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #7142
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregmanton1 View Post
they dont list one for our bike how did you get it call them ??
or am I not seeing the listing
I emailed them, and they had the molds for it and made me one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye View Post
I'd be interested in that seat. was going to invest in a renazco.
The original is comfy but too wide. Being only 5ft 6 I could do with something a bit narrower. Its like sitting on a shire horse
The new seat is narrow at the front and a bit wider in the back. Much firmer than the old one that's for sure.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #7143
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,381
I'm no expert, but sounds like the 'car oil' you added might have had some anti-friction additives, which is no good for a wet clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEsco48 View Post
Transmission issues...

1st is that if I am stopped and I ride off and give it a little more gas then the minimum as I take out the clutch I get a noise that is like a intermittent slipping/friction noise. I am not talking about giving it a lot of gas... just enough to ride of a little faster then the minimum.

If 1/4 of a liter of car oil was put in to top it off... Could that have affected the clutch plates?

Other thing is when I go from 2nd to 1st if I am riding really slow and just clutch in and click down it goes into N and I have to clutch in and kick down 1 or two times with extra force to get it into 1st.

Thank you!
Old 04-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #7144
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,909
That could do it for sure. Don't fret though, get that oil out of there, put some proper m/c oil or Rotella, or similar, ride for a bit, then change it out again. It shouldn't do any permanent damage to the plates. A couple oil changes should get the car oil out of there and your clutch should return to normal. Not to turn it into another oil post, but Rotella synthetic works very well in the 640, and Rekluse even recommends it for auto clutches, which use the stock friction plates.

Quote:
Transmission issues...

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
I'm no expert, but sounds like the 'car oil' you added might have had some anti-friction additives, which is no good for a wet clutch.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #7145
bansheeman
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Just a couple of pic's to show off my recently overhauled 640, a set of graphics to finish her off is the next purchase......hope you like!!!!!!

bansheeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #7146
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregmanton1 View Post
oh yeah and Juames I made my own tank guards about 50.00 in material
Sounds like a write up is in order!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #7147
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheeman View Post
Just a couple of pic's to show off my recently overhauled 640, a set of graphics to finish her off is the next purchase......hope you like!!!!!!

Looks awesome! I would paint the headlight area black, but thats me! I really like the orange frame!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #7148
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
I emailed them, and they had the molds for it and made me one.

The new seat is narrow at the front and a bit wider in the back. Much firmer than the old one that's for sure.
What was the cost? Is it stock height?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #7149
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,960
Quote:
Transmission issues...

Thank you!
I don't think the oil is the problem, all we used to have was car oil.

If the noise continues, sure change the oil but better yet adjust the cable first and disassemble the clutch case side of the engine, check the clutch basket for grooving. You can file/Dremel them awayfor a smooth operation,

Check tne needle bearing and other parts or wear, replace the lip seal in the clutch case that runs on the end of the crank. Now you are sure the clutch is good.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #7150
AEsco48
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
I don't think the oil is the problem, all we used to have was car oil.

If the noise continues, sure change the oil but better yet adjust the cable first and disassemble the clutch case side of the engine, check the clutch basket for grooving. You can file/Dremel them awayfor a smooth operation,

Check tne needle bearing and other parts or wear, replace the lip seal in the clutch case that runs on the end of the crank. Now you are sure the clutch is good.
bill

Thx!

Any ideas about the 2nd gear to Neutral instead of 1st gear?
AEsco48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #7151
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594 View Post
Looks awesome! I would paint the headlight area black, but thats me! I really like the orange frame!
A'm not a fan of white bikes, I must say, I would like to see it with the graphics on. I think it can do the change.
I totally agree about the black light area to give a color cut, and I definetely like orange for the frame.
Keep us updated!

liferider screwed with this post 04-24-2012 at 03:14 PM
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #7152
TaxMan

Oddometer: 108
+1 on the car oil adding to the clutch slipping. a buddy of mine recently made this mistake with his first bike. he did it with 100% car oil, so the problem was pretty dramatic in the before/after context. as mentioned, a couple of oil changes later, problem fixed. perhaps slightly worn clutch springs plus 1/4 of car oil was enough for your beast to lose traction. not sure if this bridges over into your shifting problem, but I'd try at least one oil change to see if that sorts it out before pulling the side of the case off.

Quote:
Transmission issues...

Thank you!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #7153
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Hey Guys,

I'm currently thinking about a 2003, and if I'm correct, this is the year KTM made a major update to the bike.
Were there any more updates to the 640 before they discontinued it in 2007?

Thanks!

-J
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #7154
Gregidy
tallabanian

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheeman View Post

why did you route the brake line on the outside?. looks vunerable to trail debris and tip overs
and man that thing glows you gotta get it dirty
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #7155
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconly View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm currently thinking about a 2003, and if I'm correct, this is the year KTM made a major update to the bike.
Were there any more updates to the 640 before they discontinued it in 2007?

Thanks!

-J
Yep, 03's got the high flow head, upgraded gbox bearing, hydro clutch, nicer dash. 04 got bigger pegs & an upgraded clutch. 05 (IIRC) Adv got the twin disc front brakes. Dunno if there was much else.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote