User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2004, 10:30 AM   #841
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Bill,

Maybe you could better explain "Asia Riding"?

Jetting is sensitive to altitude, some describing where and how you ride would be a good start....

CC
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:17 PM   #842
Katoum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1150gs
Here's mine. I got it a month ago, it's a second hand 2001. It was completely stock, the PO was kind enough to pass along an electric roadbook holder and a tank bag. I am adding lotsa goods from Sommer, Touratech and a bash plate with toolbox that it's now on its way from Poland. . I'll post some pics when the bike is finished.

It appears that the tank bag is sitting on the fuel cap, and vent hose, is there something I cannot see? I would like to get a tank bag, but not sure how this will effect filling tank or vent line being crushed. Thanks for any input.
Katoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 02:29 PM   #843
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoum
It appears that the tank bag is sitting on the fuel cap, and vent hose, is there something I cannot see? I would like to get a tank bag, but not sure how this will effect filling tank or vent line being crushed. Thanks for any input.
I have that tank bag as well. It has a zipper at the base for "quick release" when you want to take it with you or need to fuel. I have a shorty vent hose that does not get smushed by the bag although the bag will ride right up to your hose.

M
Old 11-21-2004, 03:11 PM   #844
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Board_bill
Hi guys..... super LC4 Adv forum....

Can,t seems to post Pics on the forum

Not much mods on my bike..
Just the KTM cans..
for the time been... still running on standard jetting...Too lean!!

had been reading much talk about posting about the KTM jetting and air box cover lately.. But just don't know what jetting is best to suit Asia riding???
Any suggestion???
Asia got special "Asia air" we don't know about?

Elavation, and to a lesser degree temperature, are more the issues rather than what chunk of the planet you live on. And with a BST, were not talking a major spread of jets... even if you do live at 6K feet.
We got guys with BSTs living at high elevations that can hook you up with what works.
Of course, I'm assuming you have a BST equipped bike. FCRs are a little snotty about elevation changes... but not real snotty.

The free image posting is temporarily off. If you want to post a shot of your bike, you need to be a member of a image hosting service like http://www.smugmug.com
Old 11-22-2004, 10:35 AM   #845
Board_bill
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thanks for your reply guys....

Sorry for the sloppy message....

I'm living in Singapore and most of my riding trip are to countries like Malaysia, Thailand, cambodia in South East Asia region and the tempreture here average between 25'C to 34'C degrees....
Just wanna know for hot weather riding, should I get a richer jetting for the cup or remain at the orginial jetting.
My bike is the 04" model with 1.2 and 152 jet set up.
I just ordered the KTM air box kit with a jetting size of 1.1 and 175....
I'm afriad this sudden raise in the jetting might be too rich and kill the mileage of the bike..
What do you guys suggest??
Board_bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:10 AM   #846
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Thanks for your reply guys....

Sorry for the sloppy message....

I'm living in Singapore and most of my riding trip are to countries like Malaysia, Thailand, cambodia in South East Asia region and the tempreture here average between 25'C to 34'C degrees....
Just wanna know for hot weather riding, should I get a richer jetting for the cup or remain at the orginial jetting.
My bike is the 04" model with 1.2 and 152 jet set up.
I just ordered the KTM air box kit with a jetting size of 1.1 and 175....
I'm afriad this sudden raise in the jetting might be too rich and kill the mileage of the bike..
What do you guys suggest??
The 1.1 air jet, and especially the 175 main jet are both too rich for your bike unless you plan on running an Akrapovic full system and turning high RPM... in other words, racing.
What is a "cup"? A "can" or muffler?
You've put me (us) in a position where I'm making several assumptions but...If you will be running the stock muffler, and a hi flow airbox side cover you will want to:

1. Install a 155 to a 157.5 main jet.
2. Move the jet needle position clip down one groove (4th from the top)
3. Enlarge the vacuum ports on the bottom of the slide to 3mm. (these "holes' are on either side of the hole the needle goes thru)
4. Readjust your idle mixture screw and idle speed screw for best idle/throttle response. (mixture screw is at the bottom front of carb body. nominal adjustment is 1.75 to 2.25 turns out from seated)

These are fairly "standardized" BST40 modifications. Jetting is a variable based on exhaust and airbox mods as well as elevation and average temperature.

I've kept this as simple as possible as I do not know what your mechanical skill levels are.

Creep
Old 11-23-2004, 10:03 AM   #847
Board_bill
n00b

Ops... The word 'Cup' should be 'Carb'.. My mistake again...

I'm currently using a KTM ALU SCHALLDÄMPFER mit ABE muffler.
So which air jet should I use?? 1.1 or 1.2?? to go with the 155 to 157.5 main jet...
I'm no racer... I'm just an average Joe learning the tricks of LC4...
Thanks Creeper..

I used to ride a Honda NX650 and I toy around with it's carb too... it is much easier to take out the carb of the NX compair to KTM....
Old 11-23-2004, 10:20 AM   #848
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:

So which air jet should I use?? 1.1 or 1.2?? to go with the 155 to 157.5 main jet...
Thanks Creeper..

I used to ride a Honda NX650 and I toy around with it's carb too... it is much easier to take out the carb of the NX compair to KTM....
I have read here that the 1.2 (stock) air jet works well with the 160 or smaller main jets. Try starting out with the stock air jet, that way you don't have to uninstall the carb! You can get to the needle by removing the tank and going in from the top.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:45 AM   #849
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:

Thanks Creeper..

We're all just a bunch of "average joes" here too.
As I can only assume a "KTM ALU SCHALLDÄMPFER mit ABE muffler" is some sort of high flow exhaust (I hope)... I'll say to try a 160 main jet and stock pilot air jet, for starters. You gota' start someplace... yes?
You may end up going to the richer pilot air jet, and may end up going down one or up two sizes on the main jet.

I can't tell you exactly what to use because there are to many variables, plus a slight language issue... plus I don't know your skill or knowledge level with carburetors.

To do the slide and needle, you need to remove the fuel tank, the black plastic top cover of the carburetor (hold the cover down when you remove the two screws so little parts don't go flying out) and remove the slide.
Remove the needle and and move the clip on the needle down one groove to the 4th groove.
Obtain a 3mm drill bit and enlarge the two air holes on either side of the hole the needle goes thru to 3mm. Use an X-acto knife to remove burrs, is any.
Put everything back together the same way it came appart, being careful to locate the rubber diaphram correctly and not pinch it... and make sure the needle drops down into the needle jet without binding as well.

Unless you need to change the pilot air jet, you do not need to remove, or disconnect the carburetor from it's manifold or air box. The slide, needle, main jet and low speed mixture screw are all accessable without removing the carb. You can access the pilot fuel jet with the carb in place if you have the right tools.

Hope this helps,
Creep
Old 11-23-2004, 11:01 AM   #850
AusieRob
Just Gas It!!

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
I'm living in Singapore and most of my riding trip are to countries like Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia in South East Asia region and the tempreture here average between 25'C to 34'C degrees....
Hey Board_Bill!! Singapore!! Man super cool I lived in Kuala Lumpur for 3 years. Man, having a KTM to romp around in those rain forest would be wild . Hundreds of Km’s of Palm forest roads. Wow!! And Thailand more than wow

But my hat’s of to you, your a brave man riding a bike in Malaysia.
The "by the will of Allah" ride/driving that they do there has to be seen to be believed. Do ride with your jacket on backwards like all the locals?

Enjoy
Rob

"Locusts...." :uhhuh
AusieRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:08 AM   #851
Board_bill
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusieRob

Hey Board_Bill!! Singapore!! Man super cool I lived in Kuala Lumpur for 3 years. Man, having a KTM to romp around in those rain forest would be wild . Hundreds of Km’s of Palm forest roads. Wow!! And Thailand more than wow

But my hat’s of to you, your a brave man riding a bike in Malaysia.
The "by the will of Allah" ride/driving that they do there has to be seen to be believed. Do ride with your jacket on backwards like all the locals?

Enjoy
Rob
Thanks for the info guys.... will change the jetting when I got hold of a smaller main jet...

I'm only hoping that this KTM LC4 engine is easier to get a correct jetting then the low compression NX650.... I had a tough time jetting the NX...
I can never get the correct jet for that NX camel..
The only good point is that the Honda got a very basic carb to toy with..

Will post the result when i'm done...

Thanks AusieRob... accidents is very common over there.. I few of my friends got a fare share of it...
Old 11-24-2004, 10:07 AM   #852
THE BEAST
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
The Beast

HI IS ME THE BEAST HI BOARD BILL YOU STILL HERE IN SIDE THE FORUM I SAW YOUR POSTING INSIDE HERE ................... YOU ARE MY ORANGE BEAST MASTER .......... AND HI EVERY ONE FROM THE ADVENTURE OWNERS ME FROM SINGAPORE ME ALSO RIDER KTM ADVENTURE 2003 MODE NICE TO CHAT AT IS FOURM......................
THE BEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 10:34 AM   #853
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BEAST
HI IS ME THE BEAST HI BOARD BILL YOU STILL HERE IN SIDE THE FORUM I SAW YOUR POSTING INSIDE HERE ................... YOU ARE MY ORANGE BEAST MASTER .......... AND HI EVERY ONE FROM THE ADVENTURE OWNERS ME FROM SINGAPORE ME ALSO RIDER KTM ADVENTURE 2003 MODE NICE TO CHAT AT IS FOURM......................
Welcome to the asylum BEAST, I think.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 10:41 AM   #854
THE BEAST
Adventurer

Wind Screen

HI FRIEND I FROM SINGAPORE RIDER THE ADVENTURE 640 2003 MODE CAN I ASK WHERE YOU BUY YOUR WIND SCREEN FOR YOUR BIKE IS LOOK NICE TO ME AND ME ARE LOOKING FOR WIND SCREEN FOR MY BIKE MY FRIEND I HOPE CAN HELP THANK .....................
Old 11-24-2004, 10:41 AM   #855
THE BEAST
Adventurer

Wind Screen

HI FRIEND I FROM SINGAPORE RIDER THE ADVENTURE 640 2003 MODE CAN I ASK WHERE YOU BUY YOUR WIND SCREEN FOR YOUR BIKE IS LOOK NICE TO ME AND ME ARE LOOKING FOR WIND SCREEN FOR MY BIKE MY FRIEND I HOPE CAN HELP THANK .....................