User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2005, 03:09 PM   #946
Thorny
Bent But Not Broken

Oddometer: 496
620 Rxc

Hi all, I have a 1996 RXC 620. No special mods, but it is almost complete. I bought it after a crash and I have been replacing and fixing what I can.

Josh.
Thorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:51 PM   #947
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSPEED
Interesting How much do they cost? How do they mount? What kind of material. This could be the answer?

Oh and welcome to ADVrider
Any chance of some one posting a pic - tried evamotor.nl but nothing there. Thanks
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:53 PM   #948
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBudimlya
Hi all, I have a 1996 RXC 620. No special mods, but it is almost complete. I bought it after a crash and I have been replacing and fixing what I can.

Josh.

Welcome! Pics?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 05:40 PM   #949
Darin
WYSIWYG (WIZ-zee-wig)

Oddometer: 594
Droadnaegel,
Those are sweet! Any info on what others have asked? I'd be interested in a set.

Hurry, we need to know ;-)

Darin

Welcome to the soup mix....glad to have you onboard
- pencils miss spel words
- cars make people drive drunk.
- Spoons made Rosie O’Donnell fat.

I'm a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment

http://ktmdarin.smugmug.com

Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:28 PM   #950
Doc_Busa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Doc's now got an '03 KTM Adv. in the stable. Rode it today, can't believe I sold the LC4, but mighty glad I found this Adv.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:53 AM   #951
Droadnaegel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
Any chance of some one posting a pic - tried evamotor.nl but nothing there. Thanks
These 4 pics are all that I have at the moment. The bike is still at EVA motor at the moment (to be lowered 5,5cm). The material is some sort of polycarbon.
There is no info on the website, because my 640 Adventure is the first 640 Adventure he made the crashprotection for. You can e-mail him directly to get all the info you want.
Droadnaegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:29 AM   #952
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Busa
Doc's now got an '03 KTM Adv. in the stable. Rode it today, can't believe I sold the LC4, but mighty glad I found this Adv.
Congrats Doc, how is the 03? Set up properly? Let us know if you need any info... (search engine is no fun )

Old 01-16-2005, 09:24 AM   #953
Doc_Busa
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Congrats Doc, how is the 03? Set up properly? Let us know if you need any info... (search engine is no fun )
Very kind offer. This bike is BONE stock, NO extras at all. I had an '00 LC4, and I added a carb, exhaust, suspension, damper, etc. etc. etc. then lost my ass on resale (I should have kept it). Anyway, I do not intend to go crazy with this one. I figured I would rejet and mod the stock carb, perhaps mod the airbox, and probably mod the stock exhaust... But, I will definitely upgrade the suspension to my weight, that was the best $$$ I spent on the LC4. I may end up doing the exhaust since the stock system weighs a TON. However, I would be better to lose that weight off my beer belly
Old 01-16-2005, 09:49 AM   #954
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,310
Quote:
I figured I would rejet and mod the stock carb
Looks like a new acolyte to the Cult of the BST....

CC
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:53 PM   #955
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Very kind offer. This bike is BONE stock, NO extras at all. I had an '00 LC4, and I added a carb, exhaust, suspension, damper, etc. etc. etc. then lost my ass on resale (I should have kept it). Anyway, I do not intend to go crazy with this one. I figured I would rejet and mod the stock carb, perhaps mod the airbox, and probably mod the stock exhaust... But, I will definitely upgrade the suspension to my weight, that was the best $$$ I spent on the LC4. I may end up doing the exhaust since the stock system weighs a TON. However, I would be better to lose that weight off my beer belly
Opening up the breathing will smooth out the powerband. Did you notice the delivery down low is a lil snatchy? The airbox cover is a easy do-it-yourselfer - try the Uni filter mini pods - plenty around here have done that.

The carb is also easy, really just a main jet change and a jet needle clip position change. Drillin' out the slide holes a tad is optional; people say it helps throttle response in the midrange.

The pipe is something that you should fit into your abilities and budget. You can modify the stock one to breath as good as any; speak with dagwood. You can also get a cheap decent can such as the IDS2 that works well, or maybe a used something else. Or you can spend up to $1000 if you have the spare change.

Suspension upgrades are expensive, but everyone says its worth it. The bike is setup for a 165lb rider... I have heard people get pro shops that specialize in suspensions to do forks and shock for $1000 - maybe if you know how you could do it yourself for less.

Old 01-16-2005, 01:53 PM   #956
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Looks like a new acolyte to the Cult of the BST....

CC

resistance is futile... you will be assimilated

Old 01-18-2005, 10:01 AM   #957
Doc_Busa
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Opening up the breathing will smooth out the powerband. Did you notice the delivery down low is a lil snatchy? The airbox cover is a easy do-it-yourselfer - try the Uni filter mini pods - plenty around here have done that.
Thanks for MORE good info. On the LC4, I cut off the top of the air box. The local KTM dealer did not like the idea of opening the side due to dust/water access. It sounds like the folks here disagree...?

I will check on the exhaust and carb mods, sounds like the way to go for now.

On the suspension, I just upgrade the springs. A bit over $300 the last time, plus I had to pay the shop to do the rear springs since it has so much tension... I will check with Z-racing and see what they have in springs.

Cheers!
Old 01-18-2005, 10:56 AM   #958
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
According to Sommer KTM the LC4 (BST) is picky about how much air it gets, and where this air enters the airbox. Normally I might be a bit skeptical, but it seems that their recomended setup preforms best. (They are known for heavy experimentation on the dyno. Supposedly the Sommer jetting and airbox configuration for the 950 came about after 45 dyno runs.) I don't think LC4 airboxes were ever meant to have the internal volume of the airbox reduced by the volume the battery takes up. All the higher performance LC4's have larger airboxes, Duke, SMC, Rally, etc.

I find you have to be in very deep water to get it up that high, IMHO, water ingress normally occurs after a fall when crossing anyway. Though I might seal the perimeter of my sideplate.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:08 AM   #959
meat popsicle
Ignostic

What Mack said. My mechanic (an old LC4 Adv. mechanic in Santa Cruz Cali) said to just hog out the opening under where the snorkle enters but leave the snorkle in place. This sounds like a decent idea too - but then you have people like Mack et al who won't consider it So Sommer knows that the side airbox mod works - unless you regularly drown your bike (one fella puts his old airbox side in his bag just in case it looks like he will need it).

Hey Mack, don't all those other bikes you cited with the larger airbox all have the FCR? Just wondering if that is why they need the larger box.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:26 PM   #960
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
What Mack said. My mechanic (an old LC4 Adv. mechanic in Santa Cruz Cali) said to just hog out the opening under where the snorkle enters but leave the snorkle in place. This sounds like a decent idea too - but then you have people like Mack et al who won't consider it So Sommer knows that the side airbox mod works - unless you regularly drown your bike (one fella puts his old airbox side in his bag just in case it looks like he will need it).

Hey Mack, don't all those other bikes you cited with the larger airbox all have the FCR? Just wondering if that is why they need the larger box.

The guy I purchased my Adventure from removed the snorkle and made nylon spacers on three of the sideplate screws, in effect making the sideplate into an air scoop. I have'nt noticed any loss of power but noticed a huge improvement when we rejetted and drilled out the stock exhaust. The previous owner just mailed me the snorkle and I have have the original seal for airbox sidecover.

I dumped my bike on its left side in a pretty deep puddle and didn't have any problems with water getting in. I am going to put the snorkle back on and see if this changes anything.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote