Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2007, 02:51 PM   #2741
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusStealth
No it didn't do it before the mods, but thats not really the question as the mods are all in line with proven experience on the board. The air cleaner is there, what line are you thinking along?
a clogged air cleaner will cause it to do that but it sound like one of your mods went bad. I would start backing them out the easiest one at a time until you find the problem.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #2742
AusStealth
Bohican

Oddometer: 773
A couple of things to look at, thanks chaps.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:06 PM   #2743
kpie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Three '07 640 ADVs' at Salt Lake BMW/KTM (one of them is mine..... due to pick up next week). Retail was $8900 + freight....etc.
kpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:08 AM   #2744
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpie
Three '07 640 ADVs' at Salt Lake BMW/KTM (one of them is mine..... due to pick up next week). Retail was $8900 + freight....etc.
I guess you got the bags then too? Or is that in Europe only?

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:55 PM   #2745
kpie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
No bags or any other items thrown in on the deal. Must be some smokin' deal over there in Europe, or those guys are smokin' somethin real good.
kpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:46 PM   #2746
AusStealth
Bohican

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf
Could be a fuel supply issue, eg breather hole on the petrol cap blocked or fuel pump not getting enough vaccum.

To check the breather on the pertol cap, undo it and see if the problem goes away while the cap is off.

Check the vacum line from the manifold to the pump isn't split or have any small holes.

Other than that I have NFI
Well checked yours and Mars suggestions. Still runs beaut, except for the idle problem which is still there !@#$%. I'm starting to wonder if the fuel pump was damaged in some way when the stealer put in the contaminated fuel on delivery. Has anyone stripped one down that could comment on the likelyhood of that being an issue before I take it apart?

I'm beginning to wonder if the problem has been there from before the mods, but that I've just been paying more attention since.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:21 AM   #2747
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:
Well checked yours and Mars suggestions. Still runs beaut, except for the idle problem which is still there !@#$%. I'm starting to wonder if the fuel pump was damaged in some way when the stealer put in the contaminated fuel on delivery. Has anyone stripped one down that could comment on the likelyhood of that being an issue before I take it apart?

I'm beginning to wonder if the problem has been there from before the mods, but that I've just been paying more attention since.
From memory, there is bugger all that could ge wrong. It's just a diaphram that gets sucked and released from the intake vacum / pressure. If the fuel level is higher than tha carb gravity will get the fuel to the carb anyhow, so if it still plays up with the fuel level above the carb it isn't likely to be the fuel pump.

Have you tried it with the stock pilot jet back in ?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:26 AM   #2748
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Have you checked the choke cable hase some free play ?

Other than that, I'm out of idea's.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
Old 03-25-2007, 06:33 AM   #2749
AusStealth
Bohican

I appreciate the help. I'll have a look at the choke, but I think I've had other issues if it was the pilot jet. You've confirmed what I thought as well about the pump. Its becoming a right PITA!
Old 03-25-2007, 07:48 AM   #2750
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Quote:
I appreciate the help. I'll have a look at the choke, but I think I've had other issues if it was the pilot jet. You've confirmed what I thought as well about the pump. Its becoming a right PITA!
Yeah you'd think it would play up no matter how long its been idling for if it was a jetting issue, eh.