Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #3781
everiman
everiman

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk
2 days and counting ........

Hey! Anyone know what the total length of a 640 is. Wheelbase stated is 59.2 inches - which basically is 6ft.

G.
59.2 + 29/2 + 28.5/ 2 = 87.95 or 7 feet 6" give or take. (59.2 is just shy of 5 feet btw). The rear fender is a bit longer than the back of the rear wheel so actual length will be more if you was crating it, but rear fender is above the tailgate of your dakota so you can go by the wheel radii plus wheel base for truck packing.
everiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #3782
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by everiman
59.2 + 29/2 + 28.5/ 2 = 87.95 or 7 feet 6" give or take. (59.2 is just shy of 5 feet btw). The rear fender is a bit longer than the back of the rear wheel so actual length will be more if you was crating it, but rear fender is above the tailgate of your dakota so you can go by the wheel radii plus wheel base for truck packing.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3777

Check it out on the previous page ...... she fit. Just ......

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #3783
G-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider
for your accomplished mission!!!

About your side stand, I have just taken this pics for you, tell me if they are what you need, otherwise just ask for more.

Thank you so much liferider. What year is yours? Because it's quite apparent that there is a design change from 97 on the ???? ones.

Reason I say that is that with yours there's just a single spring (unless of course it's not "stock" on yours) whereas mine is supposed to have 2 springs and 2 plates ..... look at this posting;

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3780

You will quickly see the difference, but again thank you!

I will be taking all these pics to my welder / fab friend - so we can fix the side stand so I don't have to velcro it up whilst riding.

G.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #3784
G-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemosabe
Here is a picture of the stock set up.
Not sure if you can zoom in on it.
I actual have a chance to buy this Adventure.
Just without a job since December not sure it is a good idea.
Thank you Kemosabe .....

Where abouts are you in OR? I'm in Eugene .......

And I have to say, even with being unemployed, if you can, buy it.

My first reaction / ride report will be following in a few .......

G.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #3785
G-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemosabe
Here is a picture of the stock set up.
Not sure if you can zoom in on it.
I actual have a chance to buy this Adventure.
Just without a job since December not sure it is a good idea.
p.s.

How many miles on it, and what are they askin' ??????? Cuz it looks in bomb-diggity shape.

G.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #3786
Kemosabe
Perpetual Adverturer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Thank you so much liferider. What year is yours? Because it's quite apparent that there is a design change from 97 on the ???? ones.

Reason I say that is that with yours there's just a single spring (unless of course it's not "stock" on yours) whereas mine is supposed to have 2 springs and 2 plates ..... look at this posting;

I will be taking all these pics to my welder / fab friend - so we can fix the side stand so I don't have to velcro it up whilst riding.

G.
As near as I can tell the post is exactly the same.
I bet the kick stand is shaped funny to clear the low pipes.
And the later kick stands with less parts would also work once the low pipes are changed.
Kemosabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #3787
G-Funk

Laugh First ride report / impressions ......

O.K. ..........

So, to start off with, I've had KLRs in my past, and I have my DRZ - which I love that bike, but enough bout that.

Here's the bike, again .......

After getting my 620adv home, I took it for a bigger test ride than when I picked her up. Here are my impressions ......

Holy Shit!

I can't tell you at this exact moment what size rear sprocket she has on her, but it's quite small ..... regardless, in 4th, I was at 67 mph, and there was still a bunch of head room before upping her into 5th.

This thing will eat any KLR, IMHO.

Vibrations:
Yes - she's more vibey than a KLR, but not as bad as I thought, really - this coming from inmates that chimed in awhile ago when I was thinking about buying it.

Did I mention this thing has the diggity dank get up and go ?????

Overall bike height ...... She is quite a bit taller than a KLR (I'm sorry it's my only larger thumper comparison) - I think she's even taller than my DRZ.

I may, though it's too early to say, I may lower her an inch or inch & 1/2 - but I may not. Once I take care of some things on her, and then start putting her through her paces, I will decide if I'm going to do any lowering.

That's what happened with my DRZ - after putting her through her paces, I was like ............ There is no need to lower this machine at all ....

Granted, the 620 has more poundage on her ....... but we'll see.

I have to say I'm smittenend with the bike, from just the short ride I took. I don't know why it took so many years to get introduced to KTM. I mean, pretty much every manufacturer is going to have quirks with their machnes, and KTM is no different ..... but hell ..... they make awesome F'ing machines.

I've become loctite friendly since scoring my DRZ, and I think with the vibes that the 620 has - will require perhaps some routine maintenance on bolts and such, but fine ......

Did I mention the bike has the diggity dank get up and go ????

So here's currently where I'm at with her and what needs to be done starting now, etc ....

1. Fix side stand.
2. Mirrors and rear turn signals.

Both of these will take no time, over the coarse of 2 beers.

3. Swap out the Edelbrock for the Mikuni, and if (for some reason) there's a diff. in cable length, possibly get new throttle cables, and sync.

4. Change all fluids and check / loctite bolts, etc .....

5. Review the manual for factory idle speed, compare it, and match.

I think, but I'm not sure as I type this, I think I may have a low beam bulb that's dead. When having switch on low beam, only the parking bulb on the left (when facing the bike) headlight is on. When switching to HI, the main blub on the left (again when facing) comes on, and the right headlight never does.

Comestically, there's one thing I want to try and fix, and I've been looking at microfishe today to get verify my thoughts.

Here's some pics:

You can see the gap from the Intrusment dash down to the side fairings ..... It's on both sides.

As many of you may know .... at the end of the instrument cover there are these "retainer" pins that protrude out the bottom, and into a hole on the side fairing (for both sides)

See the hole? I'm assuming there needs to be some sort of rubber based locking gromet thing there ...... Yes?

The microfiche does show a "plate" number 28 I believe for the 97 620. I don't have the part # on me while I'm typing this ........

But can anyone chime in about this? If need be I can totally post the microfishe pic ..... errrr, wait ...... hold please.

Here .... part number 28.

Here's the actually linky.

http://www.ktmworld.com/ktm_oem_parts_schematic.asp

And here's my side stand issue .....

Regardless of the little things I need to do ..... Wow! I'm already diggin' with this machine ........ .

I'll keep ya all updated.

G.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #3788
Kemosabe
Perpetual Adverturer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
p.s.

How many miles on it, and what are they askin' ??????? Cuz it looks in bomb-diggity shape.

G.
This one may of gotta away. Seems the owner did not have the title. Well he is waiting on it from the DMV.
Posted for sale, I talk with him about the deal. Then a friend of his decides he wants to buy it.
Just got off the phone and his friend has been approved for a loan, once a clear title is produced.
So I guess my little 640E Dual Sport will have to suffice for a while longer.
Kemosabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #3789
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:

G.
G,
Sorry for that, I should mention it: it's a 2006. And yes it's different, I have noticed that but I posted the pics anyway because I couldn't see the frame, only the double springs in your pics.
It seems you have some things to have fun with your new bike even when you are not riding. That's good . It increases the owning feeling.

Have a nice orange life!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #3790
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,168
G-funk, check your fuses before you change the bulb. Congrats on buying the LC4.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote