Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #4241
walkferg
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Gas tank fix/replacement for 640adv

Hey all,
I am brand new to this posting deal and just getting my feet wet with the bike thing as well (so i apologize if this is in the wrong place!). I purchased a 2006 640 adventure back in march and am loving it! so much fun and i am getting ready for a couple weeks in baja in november. However, I have dumped it a couple times on steep rocky hills and both times have put a hole in the gas tank where the rubber puck off the frame fits inside. the first time i had an autobody repair shop patch it and it was great until I did the same thing (very gentle drop) and gas rushed out again. Disconcerting when you are miles from home with gas flooding out! It appears OEM tanks run about $1200 which is a bit out of my budget. Any ideas for patching or sourcing used tanks?
Thanks a lot for the input. Much appreciated.
Walker
walkferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #4242
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkferg
Hey all,
I am brand new to this posting deal and just getting my feet wet with the bike thing as well (so i apologize if this is in the wrong place!). I purchased a 2006 640 adventure back in march and am loving it! so much fun and i am getting ready for a couple weeks in baja in november. However, I have dumped it a couple times on steep rocky hills and both times have put a hole in the gas tank where the rubber puck off the frame fits inside. the first time i had an autobody repair shop patch it and it was great until I did the same thing (very gentle drop) and gas rushed out again. Disconcerting when you are miles from home with gas flooding out! It appears OEM tanks run about $1200 which is a bit out of my budget. Any ideas for patching or sourcing used tanks?
Thanks a lot for the input. Much appreciated.
Walker
bummer, I find it strange as I've dropped mine countless times with no issues other than missing paint. Good luck finding a replacement
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #4243
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,909
There is always this option. You can't paint it, but probably tougher than nails.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #4244
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkferg
However, I have dumped it a couple times on steep rocky hills and both times have put a hole in the gas tank where the rubber puck off the frame fits inside. Walker
We need to put our heads together guys to design a fix for this prob; it seems to be the most common area of catastrophic tank failure on the 640a.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:34 AM   #4245
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
With my '97 completely stripped down in preparation of an engine conversion, I just picked up this '98 to ride in the mean time. Eventually I'll part it out as well, though.

It's mostly stock (I just put the wheels on) and has some minor issues like a leaking engine, I think from the drain plug and the counter sprocket seal. Going to pick up the parts today and will hopefully be able to fix it with Creeper's excellent tutorial.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:02 AM   #4246
GreyDawggg
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 464
Hellooo

I love my 06 640 adv that I got earlier this year.. However I am concerned at how heavy it is on fuel.. Could it be the akro pipe and the upgrade carby? I just got 280km and the reserve light came on. why is it only getting around 300km average? I would be a little happier if it was getting 350-400km..
GreyDawggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:09 AM   #4247
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawggg
I love my 06 640 adv that I got earlier this year.. However I am concerned at how heavy it is on fuel.. Could it be the akro pipe and the upgrade carby? I just got 280km and the reserve light came on. why is it only getting around 300km average? I would be a little happier if it was getting 350-400km..
The mods likely play a big part in your poor KM/PL... If you run the bike hard with lots of above 1/2 throttle this will eat fuel in a big way as well....

I have an 03 with a BST 40 which gets much better mileage than yours but likely has a much lower performance level.... My reserve lights normally kicks on between 450 and 500 KM....
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:11 AM   #4248
Chad M
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawggg
Are you a big guy? Riding into the wind? With the throttle cranked? Who I am, where I live and how I ride leaves me with sub 300km tanks quite often. My bike '06 is completely stock. I'm not saying it's right but I have ridden conservatively in more ideal situations and gotten over 400kms as well. Recently during a valve cover reseal I inspected the spark plug and it looked really good, I'm sure the fuel mixture is very close. YMMV
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #4249
GreyDawggg
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 464
Fuel guzzler

I weight 80kg so I would like to think im average in size.. And I am cruising at 110kph average on open road but hardly ever pushing her over 6000rpm.. The performance is great I do wish I could get about 400km out a tank tho...mmm Im a cheap skate with a smaller budget just trying to get better value for long trips
GreyDawggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:31 AM   #4250
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,603
Mine's been modded as per the index for the carb and has a staintune fitted, and I regularly get over 500k's per tank, but I don't rev the tits off it and ride mainly to get there, not necessarily first.
Your right hand has a large impact on economy. If the "upgraded" carby is a pumper, well there's part of your consumption.....
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote