Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
pfb OP
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,418
Any ADV 950 Supermoto riders?? 950 Adventure differences??

Any other advriders with an SM? Looks like I just closed a deal on an '06 with 4K miles.

I familiar with the 950 overall, I have an 950 Adventure which I'm keeping. I'm thinking the SM will be a fantastic street bike as well as a fun fire-road & possibly light jeep road bike with the right tires. I debated between adding an SE or an SM, but ultimately a great price on a clean SM (and some other ADV FF buying the SE I was considering) made the decision easy...

Comparing the specs to my Adventure, it looks like the SM has identical suspension travel, slightly more aggressive rake, bigger gas tank, and of course of course 17" wheels and different bodywork.

Any known differences in engine tuning or other key differences?

I'm also interested in opinions on best tires for light dual-sporting with an emphasis on street...

pfb screwed with this post 06-11-2008 at 11:44 AM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
Milhaus
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 3,010
I am just up the road from you and have one. I am not sure of many differences between the two once you get past the bodywork and gas tanks. I guess it would be easier to just say the frame and engine are the same.

I only have 3k miles on mine, of which, I have only put about 600 miles on myself...so I am no expert by any means. The bike is an absolute riot to ride! Great for getting around town or carving up the local canyons.

I just put the H2W jet kit on mine and am waiting for enough time to tear out the Canister on it.

Enjoy your new ride!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
plutonic
Outsider

Oddometer: 3,690
You might wanna check out Walter's thread about this subject. He's a rider in NJ who takes his SM to dirt quite frequently.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153375

For my SM I'm looking for another set of wheels that I will set up with more dirt oriented tires. I think the SM is a perfectly capable bike for adventure riding.

"You are born. And you die. And if you are very lucky in between you get to ride motorcycles."
plutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
pfb OP
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMartin
For my SM I'm looking for another set of wheels that I will set up with more dirt oriented tires.
I thought of putting SM wheels/tires/brakes on my EXC, but really by the time your done, your about half-way cost-wise to a great used dedicated SM (or dirt in your case) bike... Without the hassles of changing wheels!

Will check out the suggested thread...
Old 06-12-2008, 02:03 AM   #5
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb
Any other advriders with an SM? Looks like I just closed a deal on an '06 with 4K miles.
I dont have an SM - but I did have one briefly as a loaner from the dealer.
My word, what a fun bike! Its a pure hooligan bike

My observations are:
1) It has a better turning circle (smaller wheels and easier to lean over due to lower CoG)
2) Much better acceleration and braking. The only thing I could come up with is that the exhaust is quite different. Apparently some difference in cams also... but not sure of that. Brakes are OTT but have amazing feel. Super easy to lift the rear on heavy braking.
3) Much firmer, road-suited suspension. Personally, I wouldnt use it as an offroad bike - the suspension (IMO) would be too harsh. That said, Im sure ppl do.
4) Very little protection from wind or weather (compared to adv) once speed is high.

Its a fantastically fun bike for street riding. The only negative is that you end up riding like an asshole - the throttle is so addictive.... your license/life will be in danger unless you have some self-discipline.

I suspect your ADV will be relegated to long-distance rides once the SM is in the garage...
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
Milhaus
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo
The only negative is that you end up riding like an asshole - the throttle is so addictive....