Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
rhino_343 OP
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,128
Wicked WR250R vs WR250F vs WR450F vs DRZ400E what do u think?

I am in the market for a new trail bike and I am looking at the above four bikes. I am leaning heavily toward the new Yamaha WR250R, but the other three aren't out of bounds yet. I have tossed out heaps of other potential bikes because they didn't suit me in one way or another, such as the TE250/450, KLX250/450, TTR250, DRZ250 etc. The way I see itthe bikes I have narrowed down too:

WR250R
Pros:
Good suspension
FI hi tech motor
low maintentance
good trail manners
its a Yamaha

Cons:
$$$ for a trail bike
bit heavy
no kick start
FI hi tech motor
not much aftermarket ...yet!

WR250F:
Pros:
Good suspension
big aftermarket
its a Yamaha
trail weapon
light
Kick and elect
quality components

Cons:
high maintenance

WR450F:
Pros:
Good suspension
big aftermarket
its a Yamaha
Kick and elect
light for a 450
quality components

Cons:
maybe a bit of a handful in singletrack or tight bush
high maintenance
expensive

DRZ400E:
Pros:
cheap
big aftermarket
kick and elect

Cons:
old school look
average suspension (old school forks)
heavy
it's Yellow

Now the reason I want the bike is just for trail riding, not adventure riding, so no racks etc. I have the TE610 and the Dakar for that stuff. I am talking fairly technical trails, usually on my own, and covering a fair bit of ground. The bike needs to be light, nimble, reasonably powerful (because I need to lose some weight!) and above all it has to put a smile on my face everytime I ride it. I recently sold a TTR250 which previously filled the trail role, but was getting a bit bored on it and wanted something with a bit more grunt and excitement, the TTR was a very good bike though.
So I know nearly everyone on here has an opinion on everything, so what say you people who have ridden these bikes??
Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:45 AM   #2
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,339
out of those, Im going to suggest the 250F.
You want performance, and are trailering the bike. you dont want a machine that is detuned and heavy.
The 250Fs have a reliable valve train & top end for a high performance 250, i've heard reguarly people getting over 10,000kms before a rebuild. and thats pure tight track kays.

Also consider the KTM 2 strokes. reliable, low maintainence and they will match the handling of the other race 4Ts.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 AM   #3
Mototrans
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685

DRZ is a great bike, low maintenance and when i'm not mending broken bones i get out to the Watties with it a fair bit. The torque gets me out of a helluva lot of trouble. Its all about useable power. While other riders are strangling a 250 to keep the revs up to usable power, i can pull from down low. I like not worrying about valve movement, just regular oil changes, climb on and ride. The wieght is the only detractor, they are heavy if you get stopped on a hill. I took the headlight and a few bits off mine and haven't looked back.

The suspension is lacking for anyone over 85 kgs, i had mine sorted for $1000 by Racetech. They are inclined to be a taildragger on the bigger jumps. For single track work, i love it. With the suspension sorted its surprising how much you use the suspension to your advantage and where you can push the front wheel.

If its always wet where you ride, go a lighter bike esp in clay. I'd be looking at the 250 R and have the best of both worlds.

"Ignorance of the law will never save you. Good suspension and a full tank might." - Sundowner
Mototrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:15 AM   #4
ChrisCrossed
Now sans KLX...

Oddometer: 1,886
Wr450. With the other bikes you have there's no need to compromise away from trail/singletrack and you've already run out of power with 250s. It will be something you can improve "into" rather than "away from".
Old 06-12-2008, 02:56 AM   #5
Dirt Doctor
Geographicallyembarrassed

Oddometer: 1,102
KTM 2t 200/250

Most bang for your buck.

Engine life on par and almost better than the new generation of 4t 250.

Also cheaper rego in most states
2001 KTM 400 EXC Motard
1989 U1700 Unimog Doka-The ultimate support vehicle
Dirt Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:23 AM   #6
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLXChris
Wr450. With the other bikes you have there's no need to compromise away from trail/singletrack and you've already run out of power with 250s. It will be something you can improve "into" rather than "away from".
+1

And it is NOT high maintenance especially when compared to the other Japanese bikes. For me the WR450F is the XR400 of the current crop of bikes, keep up the oil and fuel and do the usual things and it will go forever.

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:09 AM   #7
desert rider
SWL

Oddometer: 524
I would say you really need to have a ride on them to see what feels right for you ,not an easy thing to do unless you know someone who has one of the bikes you are looking at
I could also possibly get you a ride on a 450 or a 250f if your interested.

Ray
Old 06-12-2008, 05:50 AM   #8
rhino_343 OP
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert rider
I would say you really need to have a ride on them to see what feels right for you ,not an easy thing to do unless you know someone who has one of the bikes you are looking at
I could also possibly get you a ride on a 450 or a 250f if your interested.

Ray
Bloody good idea mate That would be good Ray, I am having trouble getting my head around how the 400 would feel and the 450 for that matter, having never ridden a 400/450 before. I don't want anything that feels like my Husky as that would be pointless. I want something light, nimble and with a really good turning circle (which is the biggest problem with the Husky...) I have lined up a ride on the WR250R on saturday in Perth. It would be awesome if I could take the green beast for a spin next week some time. And if you have a mate who has a 450F that wouldn't mind that would be great as well!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:55 AM   #9
rhino_343 OP
Southern Explorer

The reason I went with the Yamaha 250/450F as contenders is that I have heard, as you guys say, that they are less maintenance intensive than KTM's and Honda's etc. Would I also be right in thinking that a 450, due to its being subjected to lower revs most of the time because of the bigger torque and power, would last longer than a 250 before doing a top end etc.?

As far as the 2 strokes go, I know a lot of people swear by them but I can't see myself going back to them because of the noise. I ride in a few 'sensitive' areas and the ning ning of a 2stroke is a bit of worry.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:21 AM   #10
AllOrds
-------------

Oddometer: 1,345
Problems with the high tech bikes like the WR250F/450F is that they have short skirt pistons.When your on and off the gas any blow by or unburnt fuel goes into the oil and with their small capacity it doesnt take long to contaminate. Hence the oil changes every 300-500kms.I think the 450 has it stamped on the gear box "not for road use"?? which kinda tells you not to commute.

250 2 smokes are very reliable these days,but will hunt if you commute any distance on roads. Maybe 70kms range / tank on an OEM fuel tank.Do you like carrying and mixing oil/fuel?

DRZ 400 probably the pick of the bunch for commuting and trails, with the WR250R a close second posibly even first if you like to ride your bike up in the rev range or riding in sand

In single lane stuff, i dont think you`d do more than 100kph?? all the bikes will do that, and the WR450`s will go one step further and give you chinese eyes.

Just a note, it only took 4000kms for a WR250R to flog out the C sprocket and have enough tight spots in the chain to stand up by itself ....I didnt think it possible, on this kind of bike.

September will see The G450 from BMW, and its rumoured that it will be priced @ only $500 more than the equivilant KTM offering,whilst offering 10k service intervals. Just quietly, the G450 has spanked KTM all over the park in the last 3 Euro Enduros.

AllOrds screwed with this post 06-12-2008 at 06:31 AM
AllOrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #11
turbobob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
WR250F without a doubt. For what you say you want it is the pick of the bunch. I have owned two wr250F's and a DRZ. I have ridden a few different model WR450's. My first 250f I put about 9000ks and it never missed a beat. One valve adjustment. Second 250f did about 4000 and no Valve adjustment just pure fun. I did quiet a few trips on these little suckers and they were great. Most of those miles though were on the trail. Then thought I would do a bit more adventure riding so i bought a DRZ and have never been more dissapointed with a bike. I put it on a diet, had the suspension done, put on a full staintune, opened up the airbox. It did all things OK, but never did anything very well. It was no FUN. Compared to a 250F it feel very overweight, and underpowered. I then sold it and bought my 990 for the big stuff. This is what I should have done to start with, and should have realised that we need more than one bike!

Will be buying another 250f again for exactly the same reason you are. 450f great bike, and would go this way if you were a real big bloke but otherwise 250f. I too like the look of the 250R but not for me given that I have a bike for the other trips.

WR250F is the pick of the 250s i reckon. So forgiving, makes you a better rider and a motor that revs to the moon if you are that way inclinded. But can be putted around on the trail. They are well balanced, very light, reliable and easy to sell.

that's my 2 cents.
turbobob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
Dirt Doctor
Geographicallyembarrassed

Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_343

As far as the 2 strokes go, I know a lot of people swear by them but I can't see myself going back to them because of the noise. I ride in a few 'sensitive' areas and the ning ning of a 2stroke is a bit of worry.
might be the 2 strokes from years ago but you listen how noisy some of the 'legal' exhausts on 4 strokes are today.

If we go riding in a group (say local dsmra rides or a group of mates) people dont' know I am there till I pass them where as you can here in bike with an aftermarket pipe a mile away.

aftermarket 4 stroke pipes will be the death of trail riding. the euors can get it right but the japs have no idea.
2001 KTM 400 EXC Motard
1989 U1700 Unimog Doka-The ultimate support vehicle
Dirt Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #13
rhino_343 OP
Southern Explorer

Any opinions on the new KTM 250 EXCF? Longevity of motor? Are they much more maintenance than a WR250F? Anyone got one? I know someone who is selling one for a good price hardly used.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #14
Trang
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,070
What about a 2009 Husqvarna TE 310

Keep things in the Family

Old 06-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #15
AllOrds
-------------

Oddometer: 1,345
I rode a 250 exc 2smoke Fuggin Awesome bike. Very reliable.
From memory a top end rebuild kit was about $200-$250 in parts??
Dont know about the excf
AllOrds is offline   Reply With Quote