User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
Sask_pirate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Dempster Assault Day "0"

today is the transit section from saskatoon to Edmonton, tomorrow is day 0 too, to pack the bike and check last minute items, Saturday the wheels roll.

short trip

s'toon, edmonton, inuvik, dawson city (D2D) edmonton, s'toon.

see you at the D2D...

Sask_pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
ve8nc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Lots of Bikes

Lots of bikes up here already. Lots of BMW 1150GS, 1200GS, R1200RT, KLR, a few Honda Shadow's, Harley Davison ???, a couple of Yamaha 250cc bikes, Yamaha 650 street. Lots of bikes that I have missed. We also had www.bikertv.ca up here already and they are producing two 30 minutes shows for TV. Two or three of us are heading out for Dawson on June 18.

And yes one Ford Model A with trailer.

David from Inuvik
ve8nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,878

Safe travels. Hopefully the weather only improves.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Sask_pirate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

update day 1

I saw that ford model A ! ve8nc great to meet you in inuvik and at the D2D

day 1 (13june)

plans change, and so when i arrived in edmonton i learned that my travel buddy had dropped out. no sense in waiting, so after the widshield was installed in the car, i loaded the bike and hit the road, my start point was just north of edmonton at namao/ hwy 37 interestion where my sister and her husband farm, made it to dawson creek and grabbed a motel. pretty much uneventful except a little rain.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #5
Sask_pirate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

day 2 & 3

Day 2 – 14 june

got up later than planned, it was overcast and cool. Tanked up at the safeway gasbar (BC has instituted pay-at-the-pump province wide)

from fort st. John to ft nelson it was ugly and drizziling and cold, really slow going, had to stop several times, once to gear up and then to eat,

It cleared up eventually, and i made it as far Watson Lake. This town is not a choice location for accomodations, really disapointed with the motels, eventually settled on the Historic Air force Lodge which offered very nice facilities at a reasonable price.

took my picture in front of the sign forest... A must when traveling up the AH. Total mileage covered 940 km.

Day3 – 15 june

rolled out of watson before 7:00, usual BC weather cold and rainy... This is goning to be the reason i quite riding, i have still not found apair of boots that are waterproof, same goes for gloves, eventualy had to stop for energy, little wayside places made my porridge and the best sourdough bread. Road all the way to the dempster hiway intersection. Once past whitehorse the weather improved significantly, and i had to shed a layer supper ath the klondike river lodge was musk ox burger, veryt tasty. Meet a guy in the dinner who has been doing placer mining now for 30yrs. Invited to tour the facility. May do it

Total mileage for the day is 950km.

Sask_pirate screwed with this post 08-10-2008 at 01:10 PM
Old 06-28-2008, 11:13 PM   #6
Sask_pirate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

day 4

Day4 – 16 june

got up for breakfast late, had porridge again, loaded the bike and then setup to buy gas and just at that point a devinely appointed thing happened, a bmw motorcycle rolled into the gas station, the rider Mike Bennett, came to tank up and then also ride the Dempster to Inuvik. We agreed to ride together. Mike (exurban on advrider) said that he would likely hold me up since he has little experience riding on gravel. I pulled up to the Dempster highway sign to take a picture and discovered that somehow the camera had switched on and the battery was dead.

we rode out with the goal of reaching Eagle Plains. The first 370 kms is awe inspiring, this single piece of road is so overwhelming it makes the icefield parkway seem average. The weather was beautiful, clear sky

hit the reserve at 280km added 5l and arrived at Eagle Plains with 2l left in the tank. Wonder some times how places get their names, at Eagle Plains I saw no eagles and there are no plains…

We arrived at EP, taking about 6 hrs. We stopped for a quick bite, and then decided to proceed all the way on to Inuvik, the second half of the trip was very dusty, and some section of very loss gravel, made slow going,

fueled up in ft Mcpherson. And arrived in Inuvik just after 12 midnight , this second leg of the ride took 10 hours, the road is brutal. the sun was still shining like it was only 8:00 pm in the evening, total mileage fro the day 760 km.

Sask_pirate screwed with this post 07-24-2008 at 08:40 PM
Old 06-29-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
Sask_pirate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

day 5 & 6

Day5 - 17 june

Continental breakfast at nova hotel, went to carwash and tanked up, decided to ride back as far as EP. Raining, business don't open till 10am, One business man a spoke with said that the town has not grasped the tourist concept yet. And so does not really cater to them. The hotels (no motels) since the high cost of foundation makes it desirable to multi levels,; are quite expensive. According to my contact person the are all jointly owned and can charge what ever they want. I now have a line on a B&B in Inuvik if a ever need to go there again.

I was looking for decals, final got some, and also a polar bear LC plate. A motorcycle on the street always draws a crowd. Me one man who was waiting for a afule injector for his r1200gs. He took a spill and somehow hooked the injector and broke the fuel line barb fitting right off. The BMW fuel injectors have plastic bodies. Real bummer. Also meet a man I had conversed with VE8MC

Took pictures, and finally rolled out just after 12noon .arrived in EP about 615pm. The rain stopped just south of Inuvik, and the weather was nice until we reached the yk / nwt border, could see heavy rain over the route so, suited up, it turns out that the helly hanson rain suit isn’t. water resistant but no good for riding. With the rain the road turns muddy black from the underlying shale and we got covered in it.

see the mosquito breeding ground (tundra = swamp)

The rain eliminated the dust and binds the road surface making it hard and drivable at increased speed, usual pace would be 60kmph, but on the wet surface, we could easily maintain 90/100kmph.

see dempster dirt

Just after we pulled into EP a crazy man (Andy – Spicy McHaggis on advrider) rolled in on a Ural sidecar rig, painted in Russian arctic camouflage. He actually shared my B&B room for 1 night cause the “umm” side car is not water tight and all his stuff was wet… he was actually planning to camp.

A bunch of us got together for supper at eagle plain and had a great time. I did a quick update on the trip and yes its still light out but my watch says it’s 11:30 so time to crash. mileage on day 5; 370 kms

Day 6 – 18 june

Had breakfast, loaded up and left Eagle Plains for Dawson city it was raining some but bearable, and the road was good so we got to the Klondike junction in about 6 hours. On one stretch I was able to run at 140 kmph, the road was so firm.

The Dempster fought back not giving an inch, to the last foot of gravel there was no time to relax, focus, focus and ride. We met a number of bikes riding up the Dempster and heard in at least one case they didn’t even make Eagle Plains without a flat. No plug or patch kit, no tools and no spare tire. No mercy. The guys behind us helped them.

the dempster conquered

Lunch was at the Klondike River Lodge and then we lined up for the car wash. There was ” inch of mud on the bottom half of the bike. The radiator was plugged and the temp gauge was rising.

Went to the B&B and checked in, then toured the town , time for beer, and went for Chinese for supper.

Then the tourists arrive and the place was swarming with bus people who had to see some dumb traveler drink a sourtoe cocktail. They use a real toe. I think they are now on toe #5 or 6, several have been swallowed by mistake, at least one has been lost. i sure hope it improves the taste of the drink because it does not look appetizing... more on the sourtoe cocktail here

http://www.sourtoecocktailclub.com/rip.html

mileage on day 6; 415 km

Sask_pirate screwed with this post 08-10-2008 at 01:12 PM
Old 06-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Thumb

Hey Clauss!

I knew you had a ride report somewhere, but didn't think to look in the Canada forum!

TOo cool...was great meeting you!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
Sask_pirate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

day 7 & 8 june 19/20

Day 7 – 19 june

a rest day. Took a ride to the lookput over Dawson City.

Had an afternoon tour of Tim Coles Placer Mining operation.

Well worth the trip. Bought a Dawson sticker and a sourdough started package.
Supper was at sourdough Joes; sockeye salmon battered fish and chips or in my case ceasar salad.
Day 8 – 20 june

Today is the D2D. well really it doesnt start until after lunch for a poker run, and I wanted to see Dredge #4, so a bunch of use drove and rode out to there and did the tour. Very interesting, what gold fever will do to people. Had an icecream, and the got a sandwich to hold me till supper.

The D2D even is really the dinner, the food was okay, and then the street party starts in front of the hotel at 9:00pm.

Motorcycle Olympics.
  • How slow can you ride,
  • who can get the closest to the marker blindfolded,
  • put 4 balls in buckets (the buckets get smaller each time
  • slalom through the cones
  • water balloon toss over the bar and catch it , ( the back seat rider does the tossing and usually the biker rider gets wet.
  • bite the weiner.(beginning to sound suspiciously like a bunch of hardly riders.)
if you want to see olympics go check out the ADVrider Alaska section they got lots...

start on page 66 of the following article

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...295576&page=66

Sask_pirate screwed with this post 08-10-2008 at 01:03 PM
Old 06-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #10
Sask_pirate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

day 9, 10 & 11 , june 21,22 &23

Day 9 – 21 june

Right after they posted the bikes and everyone got their sticker I went to the B@B and got some sleep, was out the by 7 am and on the road. Weather to Whitehorse was good. From Whitehorse to Watson lake it was wet (this is the section closest to BC). And then it was cool but dry to Toad River Post. I considered an earlier campground / cabin but everything was full, the muncho lake facilities only had a $250/night room left. a little to rich for this boy. Total mileage for this day was 1250km

Day 10 – 22 june.

Had breakfast at Toad River Post, best porridge on the trip so far. And rain for the next 400 km. it slowly started to dry up and when I got to Dawson Creek I was able to remove all my wet gear. Had a quick bite at KFC and was back on the road. Last 600+km to Edmonton. Arrived at the farm just after 11:00pm. Total mileage for the day 1300 km.

Day 11 – 23 june

Loaded bike and stopped at the Colt office to drop of some documents. The trailer ride back to Saskatoon was uneventful.

From the pictures you can see my bead seat. It worked, no sore butt, and I will state this right here. the f650 is not as good a long distance riding bike as the r1100s. When will someone make boots and glove that are absolutely water proof.?!

in the end i must say thanks to my girls for letting me go, my dear wife for trusting me to not be stupid, and my angel to cover my mistakes (thank God )

The Dempster is a beautiful hwy i hope they never pave it, so now lets find the next road to challenge...

anyone up to go to Goose Bay Labrador?,

Commercial here: no animals were harmed in the execution of this trip except for a few zillion mosquitoes...

Sask_pirate screwed with this post 08-10-2008 at 01:04 PM
Old 12-07-2008, 08:52 PM   #11
TREE
Interloper

Oddometer: 3,301
Great trip report ! Friend of mine is in Inuvik today filming Jesse James and another rider doing the ice road to Tuk on GS1200's - minus 31C .

Alpinestar web goretex boots ........ absolutely totally waterproof.

Mine have been in Himalayan streams and Labrador rain..... haven't leaked once.;thumb

Road Trips . . . Alaska, Himalayas, Labrador and Oz
TREE is offline   Reply With Quote