Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #16
woodchuckexc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
[quote=ADVMax]An 800 twin?

You mean kinda like the new BMW GS 800?

No we mean an 800 that can handle being riddin like a dirt bike not like my moms station wagon. Sorry BMW hand gaurds and tkc's dont make a dirt bike
woodchuckexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #17
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,523
Two words for you my friend.

Ristrictor Plate.

You can dumb just about anything down with one of these bad boys. You can make that 950/990 act just like an F800 or even an F100 bike if that is your game.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #18
woodchuckexc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
What does a restricter plate have to do with how much a bike weighs. Even if the 1190 weighs the same as a 950/990 I would put money on the fact that it will feel heavier due to gyro affect.Take the KTM 450/530. They weigh the same but start them up and take off down the trail and you feel the difference
woodchuckexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #19
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,141
I always hoped they would build a small Vtwin for their adventure line. The 950 is great but sometimes its too great. The 640 was nice but rough and not as good on the interstates....Need something like a 700 or 750 Vtwin...smooth, compact, basically a baby 950 adventure.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:28 AM   #20
wildehond OP
wildehond

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
What does a restricter plate have to do with how much a bike weighs. Even if the 1190 weighs the same as a 950/990 I would put money on the fact that it will feel heavier due to gyro affect.Take the KTM 450/530. They weigh the same but start them up and take off down the trail and you feel the difference
+1

I am not concerned with the power of the new Adv, but the weight. KTM will have to beef up the whole bike to handle the extra power and that will add extra weight to the 1190 compared to the 990.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:43 AM   #21
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,523
I've been told that due to the poor conversion rate of the dollar KTM will be importing even fewer bikes in the future.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:59 AM   #22
ronsolo
Hooplehead

Oddometer: 826
no thanks, get a big thumper

ronsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:07 AM   #23
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,369
Why not. It seems like KTM has all the other gaps filled between 50 and 690, then a large gap to the 990(1190?).
I'm obviously curious.
DADODIRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:40 AM   #24
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
I've been told that due to the poor conversion rate of the dollar KTM will be importing even fewer bikes in the future.
Very limited.
they are pushing quit a few street only models and the Dirt bikes though. just not the DS market. the Prices have gone way up too.
the Prime KTM dealer got two 690 se's they sold but fast.

i hear it's silky smooth ( that motor rocks) and more than enough umph for anything. and six speed.
they still have a SM and a new 690 Duke but thats not a DS.

I'm tempted to fix up the old 640 and search out a 690SE

the 990 is just to heavy and under sprung to be anything but FS roads.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:08 AM   #25
950TRANSALP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Eek Xr700adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
I always hoped they would build a small Vtwin for their adventure line. The 950 is great but sometimes its too great. The 640 was nice but rough and not as good on the interstates....Need something like a 700 or 750 Vtwin...smooth, compact, basically a baby 950 adventure.
They did , it called a Translap .
OOps Honda did . 700 in EU . could you imajine an aluminum frame with that bomber 3 valve two plug twin , in an XR frame ?!? huh . There's an Idea.
Oh wait Honda made an XR700 way back huh .
A coupple years ago someone pmed me and asked where I found a 950TRANSALP
950TRANSALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:09 AM   #26
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
Very limited.
they are pushing quit a few street only models and the Dirt bikes though. just not the DS market. the Prices have gone way up too.
the Prime KTM dealer got two 690 se's they sold but fast.

i hear it's silky smooth ( that motor rocks) and more than enough umph for anything. and six speed.
they still have a SM and a new 690 Duke but thats not a DS.

I'm tempted to fix up the old 640 and search out a 690SE

the 990 is just to heavy and under sprung to be anything but FS roads.
Undersprung yes. Thats why that make heavier springs. Heavy well ya it's a 1000cc dirtbike what do you expect. You just have to keep your speed up offroad. But what other bike can you do 100mph to the dirt then ride with your budies on dirtbikes. Altough I do think the 1190 is the wrong direction. Ktm's seem to be around 2cc per pound, using that the 1190 will be 595 lbs. Yes a v twin 700-800 would be great but it doesn't look like it's in the near future. Unless you want one of those bikes with a round emblem and a lot of complicated shit on them.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #27
soundasleeprecording
genuine pleather seating

Oddometer: 515
Ever since the Dakar banned large multicyclinder engines in MCs, the LC8 Adventure has been continually "civilized" for the RTW touring set (or the look of RTW touring). There will be 2 very different models - the upcoming 1190 Adventure "Travel" is primarily aimed at GS riders (90/10), and another ("Dakar") for the serious off-roader (50/50) who needs to go long distance both on & off roads (the uber S model). Don't hold your breath for a 750 or 800 twin from KTM. It would weigh within 20lbs of the 990/1190 - why bother? A 650-700 thumper is plenty good for touring/pummeling the Earth. A 450cc+/- Adventure would be something, though, wouldn't it?

R1200ST and some expensive bicycles.
soundasleeprecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #28
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMax
An 800 twin?

You mean kinda like the new BMW GS 800?

Which, buy the way could have been an AWSOME bike if it hadn't been subject to the normal BMW overcomplication. The GS 800 does NOT need ABS, CANBUS, and all the digital electro high-tech whizzbang junk.

When I first saw the GS 800 I said, "You know, if they keep normal brakes instead of that servo crap and leave that damn canbus crap out of this bike and just make it simple (kinda like a KLR) it will be one kick-ass bike. But, since it's BMW almighty we know that won't happen, so sad."
No Servo brakes fitted to the F800GS, even if it's got ABS fitted. Here in the UK, ABS is a cost option (510.00) rather than standard fitment. I believe the same is true for the rest of Europe.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #29
Bill English
ICUUCME

Oddometer: 247
Thumb New group of adventure riders?

The idea of the 1200 adventure is maybe a smart move by KTM in order to compete with the other manufacturers, especially BMW. Not to throw a towel on the Ducati and Triumph crowds, but the GS series Beemers are really the only true competition for the die-hard adventure rider.
Another snafu for KTM is the Dollar versus Euro issue.
It is rumored that KTM is too small to compete at the price-breaks that the other manufacturers afford, and add the financing incentives by BMW and the like. Ohh and how bout those Harley financing incentives for the Uly?
If there had been a "real" 800 GS available maybe we'd have the most versatile adventure bike available from someone other than KTM. To my knowledge the availability is limited to a "tuned-down" version of the actual 800... but maybe I misunderstood the dealer info?
Having said that, there are a growing number of commuters that just want adventure series bikes for primarily non-off-road travel. Maybe it's an effort to be utilitarian,... or just plain testosterone based. This gets split between the 650 crowd, and the 1150/1200 crowd. The upper displacement lending to those guys wanting to take the longer highway trips ensuring a more comfortable ride.
In all honesty, I purchased the 950 versus the 640 because of the added comfort over the long haul. Having said that,... the path to Saline Valley will be equally bumpy for 40 miles or so between either bike. Aahhh, but it takes quite a bit of highway to get to the dirt...
Do we need an 800 KTM Adventure? I'd think not, if the 690 is everything it's cooked up to be spewing out 70 HP at 330 lbs or so with a much reduced vibration designed LC4 engine. If KTM sells a 690 Adventure, a 990 Adventure, and a 1200 version I would expect that the 990 might phase into possibly a more trim, maybe even lower displacement model. That would be the 750 to 950 cc twin? Bring back the carbs damit!!
The prophecy unravels...
Old 06-15-2008, 11:19 AM   #30
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildehond
Yes... BUT

With a V-twin configuration, not parallel. The V-twin power delivery is better for the low-end tourque you need for good off-road bike.
Engine configuration (v-twin vs. parallel twin) has very little to do with the power characteristics of an engine - it's 98% engine tuning. You could tune either a parallel twin or a v-twin of the same displacement to deliver identical torque curves.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote