Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2008, 02:50 AM   #31
on2wheels52 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
'You left off on day 7. Where is the rest? What did you think about the new F650GS? Don't leave us hanging!!!'

gd Photobucket won't let me log on to post, will have to shift to the smug thing.
The new model GS was great for what I was doing but I'm going to wait for the 800 to show up here.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:26 AM   #32
on2wheels52 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 8
After breakfast I head back to the farm. This guy from Boston reminds me of several characters I knew in the early ‘70’s.

I could have hung around for hours (and if they had been putting up hay I would have stayed to help, the farm gene is strong in this one) but the road was calling. I was heading to Mariazell, first to Kaiserberg, Trofaiach, and Heiflau. Then north to Palfau, east through Wildalpen and then Mariazell.
There was no one to tell me what this project was about, is somewhere north of Trofaiach.

Along the way I come across a fresh washed Fiat van/motor home.

I indicate to the driver that it is an interesting vehicle and he shows me around. Turns out it’s made to haul two bikes, it had been used recently to haul two BMW’s to a photo shoot.

How long would these last in the states?

Or you’d get some kind of summons from the highway/street department for interfering with traffic. I haven’t showed any photos of the intersection mirrors over there, I’m sure anyone who has been there knows what I’m referring to. How long would those things last here before they were shot or spray painted? Every one I saw was in perfect condition.
On the Wildapen road traffic was held up a bit while a guy on the uphill slope was chucking rocks down.

I communicated somewhat with this guy.

But he would NOT let me throw any rocks off the road when it was time to clear them, perhaps it would violate some union rule.

Mariazell is a touristy town. I walk around a bit, then re-fuel. An older gent is gassing up also, I ask him to confirm that I’m taking the correct road north. In a couple of km I see he has sent me the wrong way. Perhaps something was lost in translation.
It was a nice road to Ybbs. Lots of these vessels on the Donau.

I follow the river to Grein and go north to Monchdorf. The road there through Pabneukirchen was tight and due for re-surfacing. It was perfect for me and the bike, I met four vehicles in 25 km, and two were tractors.
Near Konigswiesen I find a pension for the night.

Jim
Old 06-28-2008, 05:51 AM   #33
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by on2wheels52
Red Baron
I'm not sure what to say, anyone else having trouble reading my post? I'm using 'waxy' as it was the most readable to me.
Jim
Any of your posts with pictures are coming out as black text on a dark grey background. Text only posts are OK.

This started with post #18 - oddly enough, the first line of #18 was OK, but from then on...
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:03 AM   #34
on2wheels52 OP
Beastly Adventurer

"Any of your posts with pictures are coming out as black text on a dark grey background. Text only posts are OK.

This started with post #18 - oddly enough, the first line of #18 was OK, but from then on..."

I'm open to suggestions to make it more readable, they all look the same to me, even #18. I get a black text on light grey background. What would be good to switch to?
Jim
Old 06-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #35
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
There was no one to tell me what this project was about, is somewhere north of Trofaiach.

That would be Erzberg, or Ore Mountain, home of the infamous annual Erzberg Rodeo Enduro Race, which you missed by 2 weeks or so:

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #36
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
I'm open to suggestions to make it more readable, they all look the same to me, even #18. I get a black text on light grey background. What would be good to switch to?
When I'm quoting your picture posts, I see all kinds of formats in there, among them "color=black". Maybe it stems from using the waxy skin?

Great report, nonetheless!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #37
on2wheels52 OP
Beastly Adventurer

"That would be Erzberg, or Ore Mountain, home of the infamous annual Erzberg Rodeo Enduro Race, which you missed by 2 weeks or so"

Thanks Remi, I had missed the crossed sledghammers on my map.
I wish I had taken a better picture of the bridge near Gsoll, an impressive structure to cross.
Jim
Old 06-28-2008, 12:32 PM   #38
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,074
I'm seeing a dark grey background - white text shows up extremely well. I'm seeing the same thing in Internet Explorer and Firefox.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #39
on2wheels52 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 9
Espresso with breakfast here. The bike is parked in the lh corner, to the right of the old scooter.

It was a small village, they lost a lot of guys.

This guy drives around for some time

I take the road through St. Georgen to Grein this time and cross the Donau.

How can I not stop at a military museum I come across?

I’ve always liked this vehicle.

I’ve been waiting 20 years for someone to bring a k98 like one of these to my shop.

I enter the Dachstein region at Weyr Markt. The scenery is indeed different on the road from Altenmarkt to Windischarsten.

From there I head to Bad Aussee, hoping to connect with another ADV member but find him out of town. I did meet a number of his neighbors, a lot of motorcycle riders live on his short street. By then it was mid afternoon. I was running out of trip time and was already making my way back to Munich. I decide to hang around and stay the night.
I had noticed the cemeteries are different than I’m used to.

They don’t use switchbacks everywhere.

Jim
Old 06-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #40
on2wheels52 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 10
I wasn’t the only guy on a bike at the zimmer frei.
My construction guys say this is asbestos fiber, might have trouble getting the building inspector to approve its usage in the states.

A neighbor had made an interesting driftwood display on his shed. There wasn’t enough light to capture it the evening before so I planned to coast the bike down to it in the morning after I had paid my bill. I took the photos and was about to start the bike when I noticed I still had my sneakers on. I walked back to the house and retrieved my boots. Was out of my routine I guess.

I go west to Golling again, then to Bischofshofen where I catch up on news from home. I locate the back road from Huttau to Werfenweng and get some dirt on the GS.

I decide to spend my last night on the road at Zell am See and locate my final zimmer frei on the north edge of town.

I unload and explore the area. This picture doesn’t convey how steep the road was to this spot; a part of the lake is almost directly below.

I get something to eat and return to plot my way back to Munich. A bit of practice had greatly improved my ability to find my way around. I was never more than a couple of km's wrong after the day at Tolmezzo.

I had been impressed with their system of tunnels. Though I wasn’t in a position to ride I found one within walking distance.

Clouds were closing in. Rain had been in the forcast all weekend but I was fortunate it held off until Sunday.
Jim
Old 06-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #41
aero84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Abestos fibre is something special... here as well.

If found in public buildings, it will be replaced by workers in NBC-suits, no matter the cost. Only some weeks ago, they closed a university library over here for that reason.

I don't know how it is handled with private buildings, of course nobody would buy and use this stuff (of course you won't get any in the first place!), but if it is already there I think bobody really cares.
After all, it is only getting dangerous if the plates are broken and the fibres are set free and can be inhaled. So, as long as you don't touch it everything should be fine.

-------
Oh, and you would not want to shoot a 98k, these beast kick like a mule. 7.92x57 has a good 1000J more nergy than the 7.62x51, which tends to be to strong to handle for the average amercan soldier I encountered. Always funny when you hand them a G3 ;-)
Ok, sometimes it'S not so funny, when they break their shoulders. (But young german soldiers are no better, if you learn shooting with a 5.56x45, what can you expect?)
And the 98 has no automatic consuming recoil, verything goes directly into your shoulder...
Good weapons though, extremely precise, as Germany always had a resource problem Reichswehr and later Wehrmacht followed a "one shot - one kill" approach to shooting. You can tell by the numbers, german soldiers used only a fraction of cartidges per "hit enemy" than the US.
The 98k is still in use by the german armed forces, but for protocol use only. The "Wachbataillon beim Bundesministerium der Verteidigung"
(Guard Battaillon at the Federal Ministry of Defence) still has them. Although 60+ years, most of them are fully functional.
If you have a chance to see a drill team at a tattoo, keep in mind the boys are conscripts in their 4th to 9th month of service and these guns are heavy, and real (I've been told other states, including the US, use mock guns with lot sof plastic for such events - I have no clue whether this be true or not.) Of course, in case of war or crisis, the Wachbataillon will refer to up to date G36, but after all, these modern things don't look that neat. ;-)

aero84 screwed with this post 06-30-2008 at 02:11 PM
aero84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #42
aero84
Adventurer

One last thing:
No need to worry about your language skills - even if you were a native speaker you'd have no chance down there.

I once had a polish girlfrind and freqently went to Poland consequently, but my polish was strictly limited to allowing me to fill up at a gas station, order a beer and something to eat and, most important, to tell my girl how pretty she was and that I loved her. So that makes exactly five sentences. (No need for more, as she spoke german fluently.)

However, when I was in Poland I understood more than when I was in Bavaria (which everybody claims to be in Germany, at least Bavarians and foreigners, while most Germans would disagree. Completely different culture )

Anyway, I really hope you enjoy your stay.
When you come back to Munich, you HAVE TO visit the BMW museum. And if you're interested in cars, Ingolstadt is just one hours ride, ans Stuttgart maybe two hours.
And... there is so much still to see... the Eifel, the Ruhr, Saxonia with its beatiful capital Dresden and the river Elbe havind eroded it's canyon in the sand rocks (besides, the czech republic and Prague, the golden city is qite nearby), the baltic shore and ... and... and...

aero84 screwed with this post 06-29-2008 at 01:53 PM
Old 06-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #43
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,199
Bravo
Im still blown away at the ability to get up and fly somewhere waaaay aways from home to ride for a time.
Can you shed some light on the prep you did for this ride? I mean I guess its simple really, rent a bike online, find some hotels, chart a path, take time off work and go. Right?

Awesome report.
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #44
aero84
Adventurer

Hey, E-man, that's Europe.
Not too far away from civilization.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #45
on2wheels52 OP
Beastly Adventurer

aero
I really did enjoy my stay, maybe that's why this rr is dragging on so long, when it's done the trip will be over.
re the much more to see, I know I've only scratched the surface. Am working on a return in 2010, expect it to be another Alpine ride. Perhaps the visit after that will get me further north.
Oh, and I've had several k98's, just none in quite as original condition as those in the museum.

E-man
It really wasn't that difficult to put together. I did some internet research. Received some great advice and assistance from some forum members who either lived in Europe or had toured there, several were on this board. Perhaps not having an organized agenda helped, it was mainly get to the bike and start riding. And like he said, it is a civilized country. I expect it would be more difficult for someone there to come here and attemp the same thing. Let me know if you're thinking about going, I would be happy to assist.
Jim