Old 06-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #46
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero84
Hey, E-man, that's Europe.
Not too far away from civilization.
I know, I know. My comment sounded weird but its not a few states away, its an entire continent away. thats the amazing part, just get up and go. Plan some first but get up and go
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #47
JohnyCakes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
These pics are truly amazing

STEAMFITTERS LOCAL 638 NYC & LI
JohnyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #48
Mimer
Africa Twin

Oddometer: 97
Nice report.

Starting my trip down there (from Sweden) tomorrow. Think I will be in Zell am See tuesday evening or the morning after.

After my trip to Norway last week I was thinking of taking a trip to Nordkapp (North Cape?).
But after reading your report and checking the weather forecast, Nordkapp can wait
Mimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #49
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,572
Thanks for the awesome pics and detailed report..
Old 06-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #50
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Oddometer: 7,527
Very informative and entertaining. Someday I hope to visit the relatives in Ilmitz, Austria and ride the alps myself. Thanks for putting this report together, it helps a lot to get a sense of the people and countryside.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:07 AM   #51
Cooltours
Rider of passion

Oddometer: 1,480
As expected, lots of snow still in your pics :-)
Very nice report and pics!
Cooltours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:16 AM   #52
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,217
Quote:
One last thing:
No need to worry about your language skills - even if you were a native speaker you'd have no chance down there.
+1 If you learn German in school (as a second language) you porbably don't understand anything, but at least you can read it....

The funny thing is, when I speak english (like all the time) most Germans can tell that I'm from "southern Germany" - wonder why?
Old 06-30-2008, 03:10 PM   #53
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
7.92x57 has a good 1000J more nergy than the 7.62x51, which tends to be to strong to handle for the average amercan soldier I encountered.
I had no problem qualifying for the Schutzenschnur (Bronze). I had problems at 150 meters for Silver - the longer distances were OK, but the shorter ones gave me trouble. Go figure.

And for the M3 - I consistently shot it at the Gold level. LOVE the M3.

Especially when I don't have to pay for the ammo.

Then again, I was Air Force - not Army.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:49 PM   #54
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
What Beautiful Country! Absolutely awesome.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #55
Ledge End Hairy
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 288
me too, me too

Next year we are planning a trip to Wiesbaden to visit my wifes extended family. Her mother emigrated to the US in the 50's. Maybe I can convince everyone that I should rent a bike and take a spin around Germany

Great reoprt too, thanks!

Cheers, or should I say Chuess (I think thats the spelling )

TBC
"We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us. Even while the earth sleeps we travel." - Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet
Ledge End Hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:54 AM   #56
on2wheels52 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,260
Day 11 Sunday
There was fresh cream for my coffee.

Light rain begins during breakfast. I figured Munich was around 160km away, I was glad I had been edging closer the last few days.

At 10:00 I am in Winkl-Sonnseite and see something of a parade of uniforms heading into this church.

I fall in at the end. With so many marchers I don’t expect to find room inside for me but there is space to stand in the back. The various units fill ¾ of the pews. I believe it was the day to honor the local Red Cross and other service units. They handed out pamphlets on the way in but they couldn’t be expected to provide English versions. There were a variety of uniforms seated in sections, some very traditional. While walking back from the apse I saw a few of what looked like the little kegs you see on St. Bernard rescue dogs and then a dozen Steyr Mannlicher carbines against the wall. I don’t feel quite so out of place in my rain pants. No choir but a brass band played in the loft.
There’s time for a final excursion off the highway.

Soon after I am at the border.

Looking back at Austria.

While taking a break I thought I saw a mushroom but it turned out to be higher on the evolution ladder.

The rain varied from almost none to brief showers, mostly there was a heavy drizzle. Nearing Munich I got on the autobahn to get to my german connection’s house. Either the rain increased or the volume and speed of traffic created a wall of spray that I wasn’t prepared for. I saw the indicating ‘ost’ (east, when I knew I needed to go west) for the lane I was in but I was unable to see my way to cross two lanes of traffic. I exited and happened to be on the one back to Neufinsing. I didn’t even need to consult my map to find Karl Maier’s and my nearby pension.

I check in with Christopher, the manager, who generously offers to take me to the airport in the morning. This greatly eases my concern over coordinating returning the bike as early as possible and getting a cab to the airport in time to check in for my 12:30 flight.
I locate a restaurant for my final supper and again have some english speakers find seats nearby.

Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:57 PM   #57
mike-munich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Great story and awesome pics ! I'm glad you liked it over here and that I could be of some help.

Looking forward to seeing you in the States next year !

Mike
mike-munich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:41 AM   #58
slashdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Great pics! Just wondering what you thought of the BMW side cases? Anything you didnt like? Have they got any special features? Ive got the 800GS and im trying to decide if its worth forking out for them...
slashdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #59
trialsntribulations
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Great ride report, thanks for sharing! As I said before - trip down memory lane for me - miss that country very much!
trialsntribulations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #60
on2wheels52 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,260
Re the BMW cases, they are new and improved over the old 650gs cases. Like the old style they expand out (I kept them in that mode) but use an internal lever to move them out instead of having to yank them dragging and screaming to the expanded size. I don't know the volume of the cases on my '01 but but the new ones must be considerably larger. They go on and off easier also, the red lock tab is better of better design. I'm looking at the brochure for the NM specs but it's not written in my language. Could someone translate please?
Die neuen Vario-Koffer fur die F 800 GS haben rechts ein Volumen von ca. 28-38 Liter und links von ca. 19-29 Liter. Sie sind bequem und schnell mit einer Hand durch das Umlegen eines Bugels verstellbar. Bei kleinem Volumen ist die Breite um 120 mm verringert. 250 Euro (I know what that means).
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote