User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2008, 07:19 AM   #61
Mikel
apprentice

Oddometer: 37
I think it means:

The new Vario cases for the F 800 gs have a volume of approx. 28-38 litres on the right and of approx. 19-29 litres on the left side. They are adjustable comfortably and fast with clips (or brackets, or frames, dunno). If its set to small volume the width is reduced by 120 mm.
..or something like...that..
Mikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #62
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel
I think it means:

....They are adjustable comfortably and fast with clips (or brackets, or frames, dunno).
..or something like...that..
pretty accurate translation, only the "clip" is acctually a lever - which can be turned with one hand.

need any more translations?
Old 07-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #63
on2wheels52 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,311
Thanks for offering but I have a whole envelope of stuff that need translation, next time I'll see if I can go with someone bi-lingual.

Heading home

Up at six again, the pension lacks the scenery my other locations had.

The Dorfen canal is out back.

Iím at Karl Maierís shortly after they open, again missing Magdalena. Now they both GS's in the showroom.

About the time Karl finishes my paperwork Christopher comes in. Karl and he converse for a bit, perhaps the pension will get some referrals now that Karl is aware of its location.

Christopher has veratile a trailer I would like to own hitched to his van as he takes me to the airport.

It happens he has been playing American football in Germany also but has been begun refereeing as his playing days are about over. All too soon we are at the airport.

He takes half of what I offer for the ride.

I remember how it was hard to get a word out of anyone on the flight over. This time Iím engaged by my seatmate before I even sit down. Itís Bob from the Ukraine, a student on his way to Wyoming to work for the summer. Our favorite flight attendant comps us two extra bottles of wine each for assisting her with the safety demonstration. Bob eventually naps a couple of hours but otherwise we chat non-stop. My knowledge of the Ukraine has increased exponentially.

If the woman next to me on my flight from Chicago back to Springfield wanted some quiet time she should have indicated it. We discuss many things, among them why people in planes donít talk. It turns out she is a psychologist so I got an interesting perspective from her.

My wife is there to pick me up at 9pm, fortunately remembering to bring me something to drink. After the two hour ride and two hours home Iím still awake but she convinces me itís time to get some sleep. I think I was up 28 hours this time. It took about a week to get me back down but Iíll be ready to go again whenever I can put another trip together.
Jim
on2wheels52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #64
slashdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Thanks for the info about the cases, I want them, but they are SOOOO expensive. The touratech aluminum cases work out about £500 and the BMW's about £700! I might have to stick to my roll bags for now. Great pics and ride report, thanks for sharing!
slashdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #65
arnsines
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Great pics

Great memories that you brought back. I lived in Germany for 2 and a half years,met my wife of almost 20 years there and proposed to her at the Neuswanstein Castle.
02 XR650L (I'd sell my wife first)
arnsines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #66
mike-munich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsines
proposed to her at the Neuswanstein Castle.
Neuschwanstein. Cool ! I'm going there this week, our folks from TX. are visiting for Oktoberfest and some R&R.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #67
rpervier
maineyact

Oddometer: 44
Awesome trip, pic and commentary!
Thanks!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #68
stimmer6253472
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Nice report. My wife is from the Alsace region in France so I have been to many of the same places but in a car. I realize this report is 2 years old but I would be interested in knowing a general idea on how much the rental cost per day. I have tried to rent a bike a couple times but the rental places around Chatenois only had sport bikes for rent.

You can drive up to the castle gates Fussen it is just not allowed. Don't ask me how I know :) I got a lot of stares driving up that narrow road just to be told to drive back down. My wife speaks German so I blamed her for not noticing the sign.
Jim
2003 KTM 50 mini adventure (boys)
stimmer6253472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #69
on2wheels52 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,311
I hope it wasn't a once-in-a-lifetime ride but at least I got one in. I hate you MichaelJ.
re "... I would be interested in knowing a general idea on how much the rental cost per day." Looking back at my notes it looks like F650 type bikes were in the 100/day, or almost 500 euro/week range. I think I gave Karl 891 euro for the 10 days. I was slightly over the 3150km allowance but wasn't surcharged.
The rental was the biggest expense of the trip. I would like to exchange usage of one of mine for someone to ride in America for my use of theirs in Europe but nothing has turned up as yet.
Jim
on2wheels52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #70
airportparking
n00b

Oddometer: 8
very nice palaces!!! ....awesome.......
airportparking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #71
TX Ryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Excellent trip report, great view on doing a self-guided European tour. Thanks for sharing.

I did a group tour with an outfit called Moto-Charlie in September, 2007. Rode the Alps and Dolomites, also for 11 days. Moto-Charlie is just one guy, Charlie, an American who's ridden in Europe for years and serves as the guide. There's no luggage van chasing behind, you carried everything you had on your rental. You could even strike out on your own and join up with the group later at that night's lodging. It's more likea group ride with friends than a tour, but it's still a tour. It was great, but I'd like to do one on my own.

Staying in a pension and zimmer frei, sitting down to a meal with locals, making new aquaintances, leaving room in the schedule to explore, that sounds so good. Also , the most expensive part of my group tour was the lodgings. Your way is much less expensive, and much more fun.

I'll have to work up the nerve to do it before I feel to old to go. Might ride it with my Austrailan friend John, who I met as a fellow rider on the Moto-Charlie ride. He's a great riding companion.
TX Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote