User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,711
Michelin PR2 vs Avon Storm vs Dunlop 021, vs others

Looking to re-tire the FJR, and am finding the options, comments, and lack of back to back testing a bit confusing. New to an FJR, finding it's a bit of a tire eater front & back, looking for, obviously the best available??
Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
TexasRT
Dual Sport RT

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G.
Looking to re-tire the FJR, and am finding the options, comments, and lack of back to back testing a bit confusing. New to an FJR, finding it's a bit of a tire eater front & back, looking for, obviously the best available??
Steve
Not a whole lot of help, I'm afraid. I have not had good luck this last go around with Michelin PR2 on an 1150RT. I have always run the Avon Azaro's but shied away from the Storm's due to reports of problems with the early ones. The handling with the PR2's was radically different than the Azaros and it doesn't want to hold a line. The PR2's have not worn well at all and I started getting cupping and weird wear patterns on the front after less than 3500 miles. The back flatted off severely after 3500 miles.

I will try the Storms next time.
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
BikerGeek99
Horizon Chaser

Oddometer: 1,343
I recommend you check out This Thread for FJR tire info.

FWIW, I have heard mixed reviews of PR2's. Some love 'em, some hate 'em.

I recently threw a set of PR2's on my FJR, but haven't really put enough miles on them to have an opinion yet.

- '09 FLHTCU
- '04 FJR1300
BikerGeek99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
I have to add to this thread because I'm done with Avon tires.

Why? Last year I had a pair of Avon AV55/56 Storms mounted on my ST1100 about a week before a 7000 mile trip out west. No problems, no wobble - loved them and got good mileage out of them.

This year I order another set two weeks before a big trip. After mounting by the same shop, I immediately noticed a serious front wobble at 40mph. I had the shop re-torque the front steering head bearings and double check the balance, but no significant effect. Still there.

So I go do some major searching on the ST-owners forums about the issue and "surprise" Avons have been known to have these kind of defects. In fact, it appears to be quite common. But everyone says, "only the early ones were affected."

Bullshit. My tire was made last fall.

It was five days before the start of the trip and I was out $350 and royally screwed either way. Do I pay for them to put on OEM Bridgestones, or order new Avons and try to get their rep to accept a claim, or cancel the trip (including my wife's airline tickets)? I'm screwed no matter what. So I take off anyway...

I'm now 1800 miles into this 8000 mile trip, in Grand Junction CO, and of course the wobble is more severe. I must have both hands on the bars at any speed between 35 and 50 mph to deal with visible wobble. So, yeah, I'm eating these tires with no warranty claim. When I get to Bend OR in a few days for a week layover I'm ordering either Z6's, Piilot Roads, or Bridgestones for the trip home.

Too bad. Storms seemed to be great tires. WHEN / IF you get a good one. I'm at 50/50 so far. Never had nor heard of this issue with Metzler, Bridgestone, Pirelli, or Dunlop.

I'm done. Buh bye, Avon.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,462
Tire threads are right up there with "which is the best oil?" Some folks love the Z6 and I couldn't burn through mine fast enough (previous Gen1 FJR). I'm a bit over 9000 on the current set of BT021s and they're OK for commuting, but I've got a pair of PR2s in the garage to spoon on pretty soon. Trading rides with people who had them and with the mileage they've been getting, that's where my money votes.

Do searches for the tire threads on the FJR forums and you'll get pages of threads more than here on ADVrider.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
FlowBee
Just me.

Sure, it depends on your riding style and expectations of tire life. If I get 4000 miles out of Scorpion Syncs on the KTM I'm thrilled.

But regardless of life / style considerations, I've determined that Avon has a serious quality control problem with their tires. WTF? You just don't hear of these recurring blem issues with other brands. Are they hand made by Ye Ole English Craftsemen? Did they buy the Meridan motorworks?

Hey, they got me to Reno so far. I just don't dare take either hand off the bars between 35 and 50mph. Oh - and they DO skip around on western states tar snakes. Only 800 miles to go ...
Old 05-31-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
CuriousMike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I've got 4500 miles on my Avon Storms on my '98 Triumph Trophy 1200.

I had nothing but good things to say about them -- I ride them at a very spirited pace on some tough roads and they're hanging in there.

I wish the life would be longer ( can't see getting another 1000 miles out of them ), but I am riding them hard.

I haven't read of riders on the Trophy-list having issues with the Storms ( beyond bitching that the previous era 45/46 tires lasted longer.)
CuriousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
FlowBee
Just me.

Grinding the proverbial axe for a dead horse:

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...t=45365&page=1

Yeah, the more I think about this expensive BS the more pissed I get. I'll let it die with this post. RIP.