User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Round-and-Round and UK End-to-End (Swampland to the Highlands) - Lots of photos

Dewnmoon and myself are currently waiting to board a plane for London. We are leaving the sweltering heat and humidity of Louisiana summer behind, for a couple of weeks touring the mountains and other landscapes of Britain. Here's the rough plan in pictorial form:

Expect lots of photos.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 07-05-2008 at 10:58 AM
slartidbartfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,378

Old 06-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
Ted Bell
I want that one!

Oddometer: 110
I'm gonna pull up a chair for this one -- this is my dream ride.
Ted Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Oddometer: 2,039
Thumb Hey!!

Hey,

Bring it on I'm heading to Glascow in August and thinking of doing the same, have a rental car for 2 weeks. But I'm thinking of renting a bike for a few days.
Bring on the pictures and the stories.

Ride Safe,
Rick
kildala2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
DewNmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
gettin there

Plotting the route AGAIN!

View of the Ol' English countryside

Taking the tube in London underground (hey no rats?)

First British "fast food", Cornish Pastie

On the road to Rattery (We have to ride down the paved sheep paths?)
Barely wide enough for a Citroen 2CV!

Rattery Village Pub (almost a 1000 years old) and they still have a bottle of homebrew!)

On to the local color: The local church and pub share the same parking lot. "We have to have somebody looking out for us on this escapade....
Entry way to the 12th century or older church "St. Mary's" (Rattery Parish) decorated for a wedding.

A few views inside:

One of the oldest cottage in the village, note the thatched roof.

One view of the "English garden" where Slartidbartfast's parents were kind enough to accomodate us.

More to follow when we sleep it off.......(We won't say what!)
DewNmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
DewNmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Pop quiz

From inside the church.

Who can ID just what this is?
(We know)

Old 06-16-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
BJP
Rider

Oddometer: 36
Me-thinks that the charts are for the bell ringers. Sheet music if you will.

I look forward to reading more of the trip.

Regards
Bernard
Honda XL1000V - sold
IBA
BJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:25 AM   #8
DewNmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJP
Me-thinks that the charts are for the bell ringers. Sheet music if you will.

I look forward to reading more of the trip.

Regards
Bernard
The changing of sequence.
Correct!

More to come
Old 06-17-2008, 02:12 AM   #9
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

The South Hams and Dartmoor

Took Dewnmoon into the local town of Totnes to see the Elizabethan era town with its Norman city walls and castle.

Totnes High Street and old town South Gate

We chatted with these nice ladies (who were very pleasant despite busily writing tickets). We were told parking in the street was fine but limited to only one hour. However the town is pretty bike-friendly and we soon spotted an area where motorcycles were parked on the wide sidewalk with no limitations and no tickets. We did spot a motorcycle parked in front of the church in a spot clearly designated as "No Parking" which was about to get a ticket from another traffic warden (or community enforcement officer or something like that) but even then, he was asking if it belonged to one of us and offering us the chance to move on without penalty.

St. Mary's Church - made from local sandstone.

Castle constructed by the Normans to intimidate the local town

When we paid the small fee to go around the castle, the pleasant young lady in the small gift shop offered to put our jackets and helmets in a storage area behind the counter.

While strolling the battlements, we chatted for a while with an older chap, on vacation with his wife, who informed us that he had recently given up motorcycling after many years and sold his K75 and R80RT. Small world!

We dropped in on an old friend of mine for a cup of tea. He had expressed an interest in possibly joining us for a bit, riding his Aprilia, but he unfortunately could not take the time away from his business.

Leaving Totnes, we made our way more-or-less up the River Dart, through Dartington, headed toward Buckfastleigh. Crossing the ancient and narrow bridge over the Dart at Staverton, we encountered three gentlemen from Kent who were leisurely touring the Southwest, enjoying the scenery and the odd cream tea. Their mode of transport - Three vintage British bikes in gorgeous condition.

We also watched someone enojoying the cool tranquil pool by the bridge, with a fly-fishing rod.

In the evening, we headed up onto Dartmoor with my parents, for an evening meal in the middle of the Moor, at Princetown - home of the infamous Dartmoor Prison.

Huccaby Bridge - another steep, narrow stone "hump-backed" bridge.

The imposing edifice of Dartmoor Prison. Solid granite and originally built to house Napoleonic prisoners of war. For many years this was one of the most feared and infamous high-security prisons in Britain.

My father about to enjoy his Steak and Jail-Ale Pie - Mmmm!

An even more ancient "Clapper Bridge" at Dartmeet (where the East and West tributaries of the River Dart meet). These huge granite slabs are laid across other boulders or crude piers to make a narrow bridge. This one has a stone missing but complete examples can be found over many rivers and streams on Dartmoor and elsewhere in Devon. They are often claimed as being prehistoric and while some may be so, it is more commonly believed that most date to medieval times so this example may be no more than, say, 600 or 700 years old although it was supposedly washed away or severely damaged in a flood in the early 1800's so may well have been rebuilt/repaired numerous times.

My father talked about visiting this spot as a child and how cars and buses often struggled up the steep hill leaving Dartmeet to the East backwards - because reverse gear was the lowest gear - while passengers walked. There are quite a lot of 20-25% grade roads on Dartmoor.

More to come!

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 07-05-2008 at 07:29 AM
Old 06-18-2008, 02:09 AM   #10
DewNmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Farkelizing the wee

Picked up a Wee-strom yesterday, after a bit of farkelizing off we are again. Probably ride the moors of Dartmoor and the SW coastal area.

Pics soon
Old 06-18-2008, 02:53 AM   #11
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

I'm teaching DewNmoon how to lane-split

With the super-WIDE bags on the weestrom, I've got to be careful which gaps I squeeze through in case he trades some paint trying to follow.

Off to visit some more castles, etc.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:51 AM   #12
mudinureye
Bertie

Oddometer: 88
Come along chaps, more please!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:43 AM   #13
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,590
Awesome ride report!

It's neat to see how life is across the pond!
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #14
DewNmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Next day: more South England

On to Bournemouth to pick up the “ride”. A Suzy 650 V-Strom (Wee-Strom to some) equipped w/ saddlebags. Slartidbartfast “Finally get rid of the pillion”! “Slarto, just what do this $%^& road signs mean anyway? And what is it about all these round-a-bouts?”

Cujo or whatever her name, all 55 kilos, with paws the size of an ADV poseurs massive driving lamps, came to taste us and make a determination as to whether we are acceptable customers. With her permission we proceeded.

We were offered a cup of brown water, thinly disguised as coffee. Fortunately, we brought some real Louisiana dark roast with us as a gift from The New World (and some Louisiana motorcycle training stickers). A bit of paperwork and a lightened wallet, there she is. 1st order of business, here is the disc lock and you can hook up your power socket. With Slartidbartfast doing the translation from English to American this doesn’t take long. Overall this rental company is a home based business that primarily sets up business via the internet, very friendly and accomodating even though we wanted to pick up the bike a day earlier than originally planned.

Off to the nearest waterside view for a bite to eat. “Pip pip, cheery o”. Are they windsurfing, kite surfing just off that mudflat during low tide, just off those folks digging for some sort of shellfish

We had a 100-mile ride back and broke the trip about half-way for some geological relaxation (Slart: "Just to prove we've got more interests than bikes, chicks, ale, etc.")

Surveying Lyme Regis to look for fossils on the beach, (the real kind not retirees!) Our timing was awful so we arrived at high tide when the good spots for hunting were under water. Still, we had fun cracking rocks in search of that mythical huge ammonite and did manage to pick up a few interesting pebbles and a couple of belemnites.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
DewNmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

The Bikes!

A bit of farklization is in order before hitting the road today, a man has gotta have his toys!

Prototype laminar-flow-windsheld-extender aerodynamic wind-management bug-deflection device thingy!

Road testing...

Some help to hack the thing into a more aethetically pleasing shape (Computer-assisted design.... Naaaahhhh!!)

Including Slarted’s creative experiment in wind management (being the low budget bottom feeders we are). A sheet of plexiglass, a heat gun, some Velcro strips and voila! Gotta give him a few points for creativity. But then at a cost of ? 5£ (roughly $10) Why not!

[Slart: DewNmoon's navigation-device fetish rears it's ugly head again.]