User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #31
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
http://nevadaktm.com/

They got a set hanging on there wall. Don't know how close they are to you. There in Reno,Nv.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #32
ozcan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Bars or no bars?

They're one of the first items I pack when flying abroad. Anyone got a spare set for $ale, for a Transalp 600?

Paul,
XLV750R, XLV600, XRV750
ozcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #33
whitewater18
funhog

Oddometer: 468
Bars worked well protecting the tank on 3 crashes during a trip in Mexico. I wouldn't be without them. I've got the H-B on my 990.
whitewater18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #34
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 256
Other than scratches - serious damage?

Gotta protect the bike and for the more road and appearance oriented owners, I understand it. My question, other than cosmetic, got any reports or examples of real "ride-ending" damage caused by not having them. Yeah I've seen busted mirrors, hand guards, etc. from fall overs, but crash bars don't protect them anyway. What serious damage can be caused (evidence supported please, not just speculation) without them? It is a weight and maneuverability issue, and why has KTM decided that the 990 ADV R, their 'dirtier' Adventure, should come stock without them?
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #35
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,490
The main reason to have them is so you don't crack, rupture, or puncture a fuel tank. At somewhere around $1600 for a new fuel tank, crashbars make sense.

Plus my bike falls over fairly frequently so it's nice to have extra protection.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #36
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 294
If you spring for the crash bars -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
Crash bars=good idea

Then you will need to apply the proper 'patina' to them - see above.
If you just want them to 'pose' with - well, you know . . . .

And once you ding up the crash bars - do you replace them too?

Actually, I'm waiting for my 'big, next get-off event ' - hoping for some fuel tank damage so the my insurance will replace one of both (hopefully).
I have an '06 with the 'bubbling decals'. KTM offered me a 25% discount for this product defect - better than nothing. Each tank (there being 2. . .) is about $1600 (US)!

Another option to keeping the bike looking good in the case of a mishap is that KTM makes a carbon-fibre (or, psuedo-carbon-fibre) tank protector that is secured via adhesive (I believe).
So, if you have just marked up it as opposed to really crashing it (unlikely for some posers). You can dress up those $3000 gas tanks pretty cheap.

I kind see the crash-bars like elbow pads. You really never need them, till you do.

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 01:08 PM
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #37
elron
Still Standing

Happened to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
The main reason to have them is so you don't crack, rupture, or puncture a fuel tank. At somewhere around $1600 for a new fuel tank, crashbars make sense.

Plus my bike falls over fairly frequently so it's nice to have extra protection.
I get the reasoning of your response and others, sounds logical. Hell, if I accepted as fact all the "you need this and/or that or else" that I've read, whether a direct sales pitch by a vendor or some one repeating that pitch to feel good about a purchase, the bike would weigh in at 600 lbs and exceed my $3000 accessories insurance limit. Did you actually waste a tank? I see all the scratches and dings folks have, I'm looking for testimony of an actual loss of this caliber that cash bars would have prevented. e.g. a puncture that a bar would have stopped? I like the mods and or products that respond to known problems. I know I'm being a hard ass, but I can cure that with a Renazco, right? (just kidding)
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
Old 09-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #38
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by elron View Post
I get the reasoning of your response and others, sounds logical. Hell, if I accepted as fact all the "you need this and/or that or else" that I've read, whether a direct sales pitch by a vendor or some one repeating that pitch to feel good about a purchase, the bike would weigh in at 600 lbs and exceed my $3000 accessories insurance limit. Did you actually waste a tank? I see all the scratches and dings folks have, I'm looking for testimony of an actual loss of this caliber that cash bars would have prevented. e.g. a puncture that a bar would have stopped? I like the mods and or products that respond to known problems. I know I'm being a hard ass, but I can cure that with a Renazco, right? (just kidding)
I haven't wasted a tank but have had several nasty slides, falls on rocks, or whatnot that probably would've cracked or punctured a tank.

I'm not worried about the extra weight of crashbars, if I was I'd buy a different bike.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #39
elron
Still Standing

Laugh Hear You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
I haven't wasted a tank but have had several nasty slides, falls on rocks, or whatnot that probably would've cracked or punctured a tank.

I'm not worried about the extra weight of crashbars, if I was I'd buy a different bike.
I'm sure you're right and I pretty much agree with you and am most likely gonna be mounting a set.. Was just trying to convince myself, I don't need to spend yet more $'s.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #40
ShoelessJoe
DefromisSedSupendium

Oddometer: 119
Recent crash with out bars

Got in a minor mix up two weeks ago with no crash bars on the bike. Was hit from behind and I was in launch mode toward the ditch so it is pure speculation what was happening with the bike. Went down on the right side first, then flipped over and hit very hard on the left side. As you can see by my crappy picture, the right fairing is just scratched and the left was scratched and broken. The plastic lower tank guards did a good job protecting the tank. There is one small scratch on the left tank and that's it.

Both mirrors broken, handle bars bent and the stock handguards scratched to hell along with scratches on the pegs and luggage racks. Got the beast upright in the ditch, hit the starter, damn thing fired right up and we rode back.

The bike had crash bars on it when I bought it and after a low speed tip over in the garage they were bent enough to push in and start rubbing on the fairing causing damage. Took them off after that based on other threads on this topic and having full coverage insurance.

Progressive has been great so far, got the check for repair/replacement parts eight days after the accident. They even replaced all the riding gear I had on.

Probably will not put bars back on, but if I do I'll get the SW motech ones that have the cross brace. I was not very impressed with the OEM crash bars.
ShoelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #41
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Shoeless - that looks like a decent tumble! Good that you are ok.

Crashbars - IMHO ok when slow speed tumbles, but anything over 40mph offroad they cause more damage than they save. The rear mount on mine popped off at 40mph and ended up sticking into the rear cylinder pot. Plus it caught the ground (rocks, roots) and flipped the bikes. The tanks are very tough.
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #42
Balder681
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Pros: it will definitely save your tanks, usually if the crash is not REALLY that bad, you just take afterwards the bike and continue riding. Ofcourse if you are capable of doing this, after a crash...

Cons: mostly heavy, they offer protection, but not complete. If you have a crash on asphalt, the bike could easily slide away on them, which usually is several meters. With usual protection of the tank (plastic) the bike would stop pretty fast and won't slide away that easy. Ofcourse another negative part is - you give out money, which you can invest in let's say engine performance or something...

In general good investment, but not really THAT needed, since the tanks are strong enough to take a lot of damage. Bad is ofcourse if you have a hole in your tank. But that's why you have two of them on the Adventure

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Nik.
Balder681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #43
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,218
I think that they are worth the cost & insignificant weight penalty -

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #44
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balder681 View Post
Bad is ofcourse if you have a hole in your tank. But that's why you have two of them on the Adventure

Cheers,
Nik.
Half right. Bust the left tank with the fuel pump in it, and no amount of gas in the intact right tank will help...

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #45
Killer Whale KTM
Life is the adventure!

Oddometer: 712
My bars have also saved my bike several times. One at high speed.
Don't forget other advantages like using them as tie down points. I use mine to grab and pull it off the center stand also.
Good Luck
Killer Whale KTM