Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #46
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,352
Took them off for a while then immediately dropped the bike on the left side and cracked the tank right at the fuel pump base.
Patched it up and put them back on.

I would do the mounting studs mod straight away to ease getting them on and off especially when bent.

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #47
Eldon
950 ADV

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by elron View Post
Gotta protect the bike and for the more road and appearance oriented owners, I understand it. My question, other than cosmetic, got any reports or examples of real "ride-ending" damage caused by not having them. Yeah I've seen busted mirrors, hand guards, etc. from fall overs, but crash bars don't protect them anyway. What serious damage can be caused (evidence supported please, not just speculation) without them? It is a weight and maneuverability issue, and why has KTM decided that the 990 ADV R, their 'dirtier' Adventure, should come stock without them?

I've shattered my tank in a high side crash that left me stranded. It cost me $1500 to repair. I now use crash bars and have since went down at about 50 mph. without any damage to the bike.
Of coures there are pros and cons to the crash bars but for what i'm using my bike for I'll take the extra protection. Once you roll on the throttle the weight seems to fall off.

06 YZ250 Smoker
00 KTM LC-4 - Sold
93 CR125 - Sold
89 CR80 - Sold
84 XR80 - Sold
74 Honda MR50 - Sold and I wish I hadn't
Eldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #48
Kelvininin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I had added crash bars to every bike I have owned except the ones that came with it already. On every bike the bars eventually pay for themselves.
Kelvininin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #49
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Maybe the H-B would be worth using, but the ones that came on my 09 990R bent into the plastic and scratched it badly on a slow low-side fall on grass. Took 'em off and left them off. Pain in the ass to mount tanks with them on too...
Old 09-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #50
dezracer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
No on the crash bars for reasons already stated. You guys crash too much.

Suspension by Super Plush
Rekluse Pro Auto Clutch
WINGS N.O.S Exhaust
Euro Headlight with PIAA bulbs
KTM Hard Parts Radiator Cover
CJ Racer Clear Spoke Clutch Cover
Hilslamer Long Pegs
GPR Stabilizer
DH Racing tripleclamps
'300' Throttle Cam
16t CS Sprocket
Mefo "Super Explorers"
Ram Mount Garmin 76c
PABIKER sidestand relocaton kit.
2007 KTM 300XC (long live lightweight 2-strokes)

Las Vegas, NV and the Great Mojave Desert
dezracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #51
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Yes to SW Motech High Bars

Although the SW-Motech high bars don't work out-of the-box for ABS-equipped Adventures they're the ones I switched to. They load the energy either into the swingarm pivot or to the other side via the top crossover. My bike came with both carbon-fibre tank bottom corner guards and the SW-Motech low bars which may have worked for the previous owner but I definitely ride this girl hard off-road and I want protection that WORKS. I installed studs in the front lower bracket to make installing the Weld86 skid plate & crash bars easier & reduce the chance of cross-threading the aluminum bracket

The low bars SUCK for reasons mentioned above, mostly that the rear clamps simply rotate on the frame down-tube and allows the tank to be impacted by the bars themselves. No good. The factory ones have a different clamp but we (as mechanics when setting up the bikes) had to glue small plastic strips around the edges of the clamps to protect the paint. Again, an invitation to rotation of the clamps.

Personally my "S" model has only fallen over at 0-mph U-turns... but when she does I'm glad I have the bars to absorb the energy and not mash a $1500 (per side) fuel cell, stranding me or causing a fire down the road (DAMHIK) I can tell you the bike has fallen "long way down the hill" and nothing has been damaged.

I'd say mod the high-bars if you have an ABS-model, it's worth it- if you have an older model, go for it!

and I have a set of low bars for sale if anyone wants them... heh heh heh...
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."

geometrician screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 09:06 PM
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #52
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by willnevergrowup View Post
Get them!!! The blacktop under my kickstand gave out this weekend and this is the way I found it when I came outside.

Luckily my friends rushed out to help me...after a couple photo opportunities!!

Crashbars were a little tweeked but probally saved a lot of tank damage, but luckily I will never know because they were on there!!

Now to get a larger footprint for the kickstand!!!
Too funny!!! That is me, standing proudly over Elmer's 950 back in 2008. I almost bought that bike from Greg, Elmer bought it from Greg, then I almost bought it again but Greg bought it back. Since then its made its rounds to 2 other ADV inmates, that dirty girl gets around!

I have been trying to get one since 2007 and luckily I was able to this spring. My bike STILL doesn't have crash bars so when I saw this thread I had to see others opinions, and ended up seeing a pic of me.

Anyways, planning on getting the SW Motech bars sometime this winter.

Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #53
Tyserie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hi, I would like to ask if someone with old "high" SW Motech crash bars can upload photo of how the are fasten in upper part. I mean, under the handlebars.

I did figure it out.

Tyserie screwed with this post 06-22-2014 at 08:12 AM
Tyserie is offline   Reply With Quote