Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #16
Nick250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
I would think the DR-Z400S might be in the mix here. By all reports it has more grunt and is more street friendly than the WR250, but lighter and more dirt friendly than the DR650. Just a passing thought.

NG

Old Rides:'77 Kawa KZ650, '79 Yamaha IT175, '79 Suz GS1000, '80 Suz PE175, '82 Honda XR200, '83 Honda 750 Interceptor, '84 Husky WR250, '86 Husky WR250, '87 Husky WR400.
Nick250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #17
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick250
I would think the DR-Z400S might be in the mix here. By all reports it has more grunt and is more street friendly than the WR250, but lighter and more dirt friendly than the DR650. Just a passing thought.

NG
It certainly should be in the mix, but unfortunately the DRZ has one of the narrowest ratio 5-speed transmissions in the dual sport world. Gearing suffers against either the DR or the WR.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:22 PM   #18
NorthCoastRider
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 245
Well I have a lot of saddle time on both so I guess I can throw in my 2cents. I owned a 2006 DR and currently ride a 2008 WRR.

The DR: Heavy, slow and gutless stock. The upside to this is with a jet kit, K&N filter, cut top of air box and one tooth smaller on the CS (all for under $200) it now becomes a heavy, torquey, poorly suspended dual sport that is quite capable on road and very good on gravel/ dirt roads. Tight trails are doable but this is where the suspension and weight kill the fun. Most of the suspension woes are in the forks and I've heard cartrige emulators make them worlds better (I sold it before going that far). The DR will cruise 120kph without feeling like it is stressed at all even after dropping the CS sprocket one tooth. Overall I would rate it 7 out of 10 as a dual sport.

The WRR: Flickable, needs to be revved, very good suspension. Really it is quite good without any mods if you learn how to ride it or revert back to your youth when you had that 125 MX bike that went everywhere. Suspension is very good but comes soft for a 160lb man, the good news is that it can be dialed in with the clickers. Transmission is a smooth shifting well spaced affair that has everything from a super low 1st to an awsome overdrive 6th that will still pull me up hills. The best part of this bike is the fuel injection, it always gives the perfect metering of fuel in every situation. Tight trails are easily done at a slow pace but the bike rattles a lot at a race pace (this is not a race bike) due to the street legal equipment. Highway cruising at 120kph is no problem and the bike is hardly revving. Fuel tank is a little small but of course the bigger the tank the more top heavy it will be and right now it is perfectly balanced. Overall I would rate it a 9 out of 10 for a dual sport.

Note: if a Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki made a 400/450 version of THIS bike it would be a 10.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:36 AM   #19
Dirtgrain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
What kind of power upgrades do you all expect will be available for the WR250R? If you alter the exhaust and airbox, will you need a Power Commander or something like it? It's already high compression, and I don't imagine I would want to up the compression.

What about bore and stroke? I'm thinking of the KLX250S and the available upgrades (300 cc, simple swap from a KLX300; 331cc) and the DR350 (all sorts of options: 360, 385, 435, 441, and maybe a few others).

Motorcycle Consumer News did a review of the WR250X. It's noticabely slower than the DR650 they reviewed at a different time (weather conditions might be a factor--and their race times are corrected):

DR650SE: 0-60 5.66 seconds; 0-1/4 mile 14.30 seconds (at 85.11 mph); top speed 94.8 mph; Power-to-weight ratio 1:10.34; dyno 35.6 max hp and 33.3 max torque; wet weight 368 lbs.; bore/stroke 100.0mm x 82.0mm; compression 9.5:1

WR250X: 0-60 7.69 seconds; 0-1/4 mile 15.75 seconds (at 77.40 mph); top speed 88.5 mph; Power-to-weight ratio 1:11.15; dyno 26.8 max hp and 16.4 max torque; wet weight 300.5 lbs.; bore/stroke 77.0mm x 53.6mm; compression 11.8:1

Even with the supermoto rear tire, the WR250 is slower. But that is with an expert wringing all he can from each bike, with drag-race style launches. Maybe in real-world riding, excepting a quick launch, the WR250 will be nearly as fast as a DR650--if you keep the revs up???

Also, can the WR250R run okay on regular gas? The Motorcycle Consumer News review says it calls for premium.

Dirtgrain screwed with this post 06-21-2008 at 04:56 AM
Dirtgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:10 AM   #20
Colorado
Trail Boss

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtgrain
What kind of power upgrades do you all expect will be available for the WR250R? If you alter the exhaust and airbox, will you need a Power Commander or something like it? It's already high compression, and I don't imagine I would want to up the compression.
The WRR and WRX are new bikes and hop up kits are still in testing. Someone on www.Thumpertalk.com added a pipe and opened the airbox flapper and got 32 hp and 20 fp of torque. There is now a PowerCommander for it but very few maps as yet. Another company is just starting on cams that won't require any other mods.

Quote:
What about bore and stroke? I'm thinking of the KLX250S and the available upgrades (300 cc, simple swap from a KLX300; 331cc) and the DR350 (all sorts of options: 360, 385, 435, 441, and maybe a few others).
Haven't read anything yet. Most owners like the power of the stock bike (unlike the KLX) so I don't expect a lot of stroker kits.

Quote:
Motorcycle Consumer News did a review of the WR250X. It's noticabely slower than the DR650 they reviewed at a different time (weather conditions might be a factor--and their race times are corrected):
You're comparing a 250 and a 650, what do you expect? The WR has little power on the bttom but gets going once the revs are up.

Quote:
Also, can the WR250R run okay on regular gas? The Motorcycle Consumer News review says it calls for premium.
Don't know. Here in Colorado all bikes run fine on regular or mid grade, but that's just due to the elevation.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:27 AM   #21
Dirtgrain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado
You're comparing a 250 and a 650, what do you expect? The WR has little power on the bttom but gets going once the revs are up.
Somebody on this thread said the WR250R was faster than a DR650. I was just trying to offer some information. I would expect the WR to be slower. But still, a DRZ400S had marginally better times than the DR650 in a test by MCN, so who knows?
Old 06-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #22
Colorado
Trail Boss

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Somebody on this thread said the WR250R was faster than a DR650. I was just trying to offer some information. I would expect the WR to be slower. But still, a DRZ400S had marginally better times than the DR650 in a test by MCN, so who knows?
Ah so.

I just sold a DRZ-E. It was great, loads of power, lots of aftermarket and light weight. But its 5 speed gearbow is so closely spaced that you couldn't have it both ways, trail and highway. With a 6 speed it would be just about perfect.

My WRR has perfect gearing for my purposes, which don't include 3rd gear wheelies on singletrack. Or so it seems so far.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #23
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Colorado - agreed, A DS'd DRZ400e with 6 speed would take it all. Suzuki- all you need is a new tranny....
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #24
NorthCoastRider
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 245
The DR 650 has a lot of torque on the bottom but signs off early so take offs will be faster. The WRR needs to have flywheel momentum to make power. I don't really care about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times but these numbers could be beleivable. Mid range, suspension, wieght and 120kph cruising are what I care about. Did you notice the 70lb weight difference?

The WRR needs to run 91 octane or better or else engine damage due to detonation can occur. The DR can run on any junk fuel. The WR is a 2008 model so aftermarket hop ups are still trickling out. Expect to see pipes, mufflers, power commander and big bores in the future.

Try and get a test ride on both if possible. This is all my opinion, riders wieght, height and riding abilities will give different results.

NorthCoastRider screwed with this post 06-22-2008 at 12:10 AM
NorthCoastRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #25
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Motorcycle Consumer News:

DR650SE: 0-60 5.66 seconds; 0-1/4 mile 14.30 seconds (at 85.11 mph); top speed 94.8 mph; dyno 35.6 max hp and 33.3 max torque; wet weight 368 lbs.

WR250X: 0-60 7.69 seconds; 0-1/4 mile 15.75 seconds (at 77.40 mph); top speed 88.5 mph; dyno 26.8 max hp and 16.4 max torque; wet weight 300.5 lbs.
Thanks for posting those numbers Dirtgrain. Sounds about like what I would have expected. The owners over on Thumpertalk are complaining about ridiculously optimistic speedometer readings, so I'm encouraged that the X would actually do a measured 88 mph.

If I bought a WRR I think my first engine mod would be the Power Commander to remap the fuel injection. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=659247
$300, easily removeable, eliminates the worry about running EPA lean, no change in noise, and you'd have something in place to get the most out of any changes to intake or exhaust.

This engine is so far oversquare that I doubt anybody will try to bore it. I do expect stroker kits, because a longer stroke would do exactly what some people seem to want, which is move the whole powerband down about 2000 rpm lower in the rev band. On the other hand, tearing a brand new engine down all the way to the bottom and replacing a perfectly good crank and connecting rod assembly only makes sense if you don't believe Yamaha or one of the other manufacturers will do it for you in the next year or two.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:39 PM   #26
blasater
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Made similar decision

I wanted a good DP bike, under 300lbs, highway capable.

It was the WR250R. Off road, the suspension soaks up any rut or whoop with ease at suprising speeds.

On the road I cruise at 62 MPH (per my GPS) with still 1/3 throttle left.

It isnt wicked fast, I'm 6'3" and 205 but enough to bring a smile.

I considered the DR but the weight on tough trails killed it.
blasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #27
foothills
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I got my WRR yesterday and put 175 miles on it since, mostly backroads, some sand, trails and dirt roads. Changed the oil and filter today. The bottom in 1st and 2nd is a little twitchey. The midrange seems kind of flat, but the motor opens up when you hit the upper revs. Of course it is not broken in yet. I ride it like I stole it for break in. I will be ordering a Power Commander this week to smooth out the bottom and free up the middle. I can pull a reasonable wheely in 1st and 2nd when really revved..going over a bump.

Adjusted the suspension and it now soaks up road and off-road buimps fine. I'm 230lbs. Love the fuel injection for easy starts. Brakes are excellent and handling is sharp. Hate selling any bike so have some regrets about selling the DR650 (it left with a new owner today), just a little too heavy for the trails around here and wanted something different.

WRR goes good on the road, and I'm not looking for sixth gear like on the DR, because it has one. The 250 is not stressing at 65, which is a pleasant surprise.

I believe the DR may be quicker, but the WRR has the feeling of speed, probably because you need to ring it out to get moving and because of the lighter weight. Got about 70 mpg approx. so far.

Great to see all the interest in this cool machine.
foothills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #28
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,283
Keep talking. I have a DR650 and have been thinking......WRR
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:52 AM   #29
foothills
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
RR, have you gotten a test ride on the WRR? If I hadn't ridden it first I probably wouldn't have bought it. It is hauling me around town plenty fast on the local paved and dirt roads, it is running better as it breaks in and hits 70mph easily. Handles at least as good as the DR, certainly better and more manageable off-road. But the WRR is no match for the low end torque of the DR, no news there. Different riding style.

The guy who bought the DR is happy and I'm happy with the WRR. I don't see the downside from the switch for the type of riding I do, ie., local roads, trails, dirt roads, etc., and no highway or trips with lots of gear.
Riding the WRR around with a heavy throttle hand is good!
foothills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:11 AM   #30
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsearcher
test rode the wr. found it a scream. nimble,great performer,fast.great suspension.etc.-also i like FI and new technology.my last 4 bikes(1vfr800,3xgsxr1000)all had FI.cant do the carbies anymore.

the tenere 3aj dakar version was one of my fav bikes. a bit heavy.

the reason i like the wr is i can take it to more hardcore dirt roads,trails,jump it over logs etc.

the dr seems to need a lot of work on forks,carb jetting,tuning etc.
i am only 65kgs.and i want to hoon. my dailly commute will be tight twisty bumpy tramac.basically dirt roads with tarmac on them
You only have to read your posts on the WR to see you are already in love with it.

I think what you're really asking is the WR an adventure bike? Can you be seen as an adv rider on it? The answer is... "Buy the best bike you can afford that suits you!" For me it would be the WR over the DR any day of the week.

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote