User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 AM   #151
Jaqhammar
Hooligan

Oddometer: 2,726
Hey Anja

We're really loving your ride report and pics.
Your cheerful outlook on life and your adventurous spirit, shines out like a beacon.

Ride on.

Cheers: Jaq and Lin.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #152
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,470
YO Anja....

just getting caught up with your ride report!! miss ya, seems like meeting you was years ago!

Ride safe! and the trials bike misses you!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #153
Anja OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
Anja what a beautiful town. Love the colors and hilly setting. You have made me very interested in traveling to Mexico. That might be a difficult place to leave.

I probably should learn to speak Spanish before leaving California.

Enjoy your stay.
Just go!!!!
Mexico has been a wonderful experience so far.

Good idea to learn a little Spanish, but as long as you can say – una cerveza por favor – You will be fine
My experience is that as long as you try, everyone is very helpful

My blog in danish http://www.anja-kiilsgaard.dk/
Anja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #154
Anja OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj
just getting caught up with your ride report!! miss ya, seems like meeting you was years ago!

Ride safe! and the trials bike misses you!
I feel that to. Miss all of you guys. Truly wanna come back!!!!!!!

Isn’t it hard to ride the trails bike around in the snow up there

Old 12-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #155
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anja
I feel that to. Miss all of you guys. Truly wanna come back!!!!!!!

Isn’t it hard to ride the trails bike around in the snow up there

He just needs to leave the trials bike here in Salida... no snow, sunny and warm today.

Come home, Anja!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #156
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
He just needs to leave the trials bike here in Salida... no snow, sunny and warm today.

Come home, Anja!

I do believe you jinxed us dear. It's snowing like mad right now!! But, I agree you should still come home (after you're finished with MX of course )!!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #157
Terlingua
Terlingua

Oddometer: 248
bike storage

Hay Anja, how long are you needing to store your bike? I may be able to help ya out. If you fly out of Texas you can store you bike in my stable and I'll drive you to your fly out.

Bruce
09 KTM 450 XC W-plated
Terlingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #158
Anja OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terlingua
Hay Anja, how long are you needing to store your bike? I may be able to help ya out. If you fly out of Texas you can store you bike in my stable and I'll drive you to your fly out.

Bruce
Hi Bruce
I don’t know exactly how long I’m gonna need the storage. It could be for a year or so

I have to start a new life back in Denmark, meaning finding a job, getting money to get back to The States.
And with the crises and all…. I don’t have a clue.
So I need a place where the Smurf would not be in anybody’s way for a long time.

My flight is from L.A.
But flying from let say Austin to L.A. is not that expensive. So that is defiantly a possibility….A good one

What are you saying to all this????
It sounds like a great plan to me. Guess there is no snow going up along the Gulf coast in January

Old 12-12-2008, 05:01 PM   #159
Anja OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug
I do believe you jinxed us dear. It's snowing like mad right now!! But, I agree you should still come home (after you're finished with MX of course )!!
SORRY!!!!!!!!

That has to be after Denmark.
A little bird told me that it’s snowing around Salida in January

Plan to go “home” another time though….Soon I hope!!!!!!

Btw. I’m in Mexico City now.
The traffic is crazy here…but fun.
There are NO rules. Just go with the flow. Splitting lanes, using the sidewalk and bus lanes, going the wrong way at one-way streets. I learned from a local, so I guess that´s the way to do it

Old 12-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #160
Terlingua
Terlingua

Will I have room and the time is not a problem. Austin, Houston, Corpus, are San Antonio are all with is 100 to 150 miles form here. Just let me know.
09 KTM 450 XC W-plated
Old 12-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #161
Terlingua
Terlingua

snow

Oh yeah, we only get snow every ten years are so and not much. We had alittle a few years ago so I dought we'll get eney for a wile. Winters temp is around 50 to 60F here so not bad at all. To day it about 75 and windy.
09 KTM 450 XC W-plated
Old 12-16-2008, 06:08 AM   #162
Trailblazer
no cualquier gringo

Oddometer: 246
Hey Anja.
Don't forget I live in Austin. If you come this way I can help with lodging and/or logistics.
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #163
BlueBuell
Banned

Oddometer: 421
Great report, get to Terlingua, if at all possible.
Cheers
BlueBuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:59 PM   #164
Anja OP
Adventurer

I GOT IN
So I´m back in The States.......Woooohooo
It did take the border guys 45 minutes of really hard thinking and a talk with there supervisor, before they let me in, so I started to get a little nervous. I guess I got them to believe that I’m actually going back to Denmark…soon
It was a great relieve that I didn’t have to go through all the hassle, getting The Smurf over the border somehow, and my self to L.A. in another way.
So I chose to celebrate all my luck, by staying in bed with a nasty mexican flu. Been in bed for 6 days now, and are still not ready to go anywhere
I’m at South Padre Island, TX. It’s nice, warm and sunny outside, so it’s a really stupid place to have a fever.
When I’m done feeling sorry for my self, I will go up to Port Lavaca, TX, and store The Smurf at Bruce/Terlingua´s place. Thanks again. You rock!!!!!!

So I guess I better tell a little bit about what I have been doing for the past weeks.

I found a BMW 650 for my parents. That was about the size of bike they wanted.
Got it from Oscar Calderon in Mexico City http://www.mxmotoadv.net/default.htm
I must say that we were very happy about the hole renting deal. Oscar was so helpful. He picked me up, when I lost my way in the “tiny” town of Mexico City. Set me up at a hotel. Delivered the bike at the hotel. Stored my folks bags at his place. Gave me a cell phone, so we could report any problems to him. Fortunately we didn’t have any J

So while I was waiting for the folks to land, I was playing around with Elena that I met in Real de Catorce. She is from Mexico City. How great is it to get a local to show you round town

Then the folks landed, and they brought like half a suitcase of Danish food. I was sooooo happy Finally real bread!!!!!!!

And after recuperating for a couple of days, we took of.
At the very first day I took them through the “lively” traffic of Mexico City, up a mountain through hairpins, between two volcanoes and down again at a dirt road.
They had a blast, and I was so proud of them

The Folks

The Vulcanos. Forgot the names, but it´s just outside Mexico City

The road down from the volcanos

Then we spend a couple of day going down to Oaxaca. Beautiful scenery...and lots of fun hairpins

On the way somewhere, we had lunch. Don’t really know why they didn’t put some edible parts from the chicken in the soup. It was only feet and other wired stuff But mom went for it

In Oaxaca we found a hotel with parking right in front of the rooms. Just had to ride through the restaurant to get there

Had some more exiting food. This is what mom looks like when she is eating grasshoppers

Went from Oaxaca to the Pacific coast. LOTS of hairpins. In fact it took the hole damn day to ride 150 miles, think it was about 7 hours. Long but great day. Fantastic views and a really fun ride

Then we hit the Pacific...Nice!!!!! Celebreted Christmas in Puerto Angel like this

Went on to Puerto Escondido. Beautiful water, but not for swimming...only surfing. The swell is to powerfull. So my dad rented a bodyboard.....and had the living daylights beaten out of him. He had black marks for weeks after.....but he had soooo much fun. I was stuck at the pool writing on my blog Someone has to work..hmmm

Went on to Playa Ventura. A very relaxing place...you could swim there Late some evening, the guys who had the place took us out to see a turtle laying eggs. That was quite an experience.
We took the eggs out from under the turtle, bringing them to a "turtle home" so people would not thrash them. But just to see how much it takes for the turtle to bury the eggs in the sand, was kinda wild.

Got home and was so exited over the hole thing. Then we were called out to an even bigger turtle. And it was BIG!!!!!!!

We left the Pacific with that great experience in our heads, and whent back up in the mountains again. And again great scenery and nice people all the way.

When riding in mexico, you should watch out for the TOPES...aka speedbumps. They are a little bigger than we are use to, and not allways easy to see. My mom almost got thrown off the bike several time, when my dad didn´t see them. I don´t care on when I´m on The Smurf. For me they are just fun, but riding two up on a tiny beemer, that allmost got stuck on them, is another thing. That was so funny

And then there are the other speedbumps...The live ones

Eventually we got to Taxco. It´s a really nice town with narrow streets and beautiful buildings.

Very narrow streets. At this place the cars had to back up to get around the corner. A little more easy when on a Smurf

We celebrated New Years here...And yes i did look like that too

On the way out off Taxco, we took a road that was paved...I think
Man.. that was the mother of all pothols in the world. When you are standing up all day, it is not really paved..or???!!!!

Luckily the "pavement" came to an end, and it turned in to real dirt
And we had found a really nice way to Valle de Bravo.

We were running out of time and my mom insisted to see some pyramids, so we spend a long day on tollroads to get to Teotihuacan....And it was worth it!!!!! That was spectacular

We actually climbed that thing It was BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!
But i guess it was worth it. The legend says that you live 10 years longer if you do it

Then back to Mexico City, and return the Beemer. Doing some sightseeing and then the folks were off to Denmark.

I was so exited to see if i could get back in to The States, that i just jumped The Smurf, and spend to loooooong days to get to the border. Didn´t see anything on the way. The first day was a day of hairpins, the second the day of flat and boring.
Are so glad to be back

Hayduke screwed with this post 01-20-2009 at 11:09 PM
Old 01-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #165
Anja OP
Adventurer

Help Hayduke!!!!!!! I need your mad mod skilz
It´s doing it again...The fonts. What the h..l is happening?????
Don´t understand why i can´t change them to Verdana ...and something a little bigger. You need binoculars to see this

Anja screwed with this post 01-20-2009 at 08:08 PM