User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
Wiring diagram for Centech AP-2?

After reading THIS thread and doing a little searching around here, I've realized I can't find a diagram for wiring the AP-2.

I need to wire the following farkles:

Only on with key on
PIAA 510 Aux lights
Stebel horn

Always hot
Powerlet socket
GPS power

Not sure
Battery charger
Hardwire/charger for Chatterbox

Mainly, I'm just not sure how to wire a farkle which already has a relay (say the lights) to the AP-2.

Anything I've missed Neil?
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
After reading THIS thread and doing a little searching around here, I've realized I can't find a diagram for wiring the AP-2.

I need to wire the following farkles:

Only on with key on
PIAA 510 Aux lights
Stebel horn

Always hot
Powerlet socket
GPS power

Not sure
Battery charger
Hardwire/charger for Chatterbox

Mainly, I'm just not sure how to wire a farkle which already has a relay (say the lights) to the AP-2.

Anything I've missed Neil?
Jim's image is pretty spot on for what you want. The exception would be that you would have another power lead off of the battery going straight to the AP-2 to power the Always Hot side of the fuse block.

You'd also be able to wire the GPS straight into the AP-2 on the Always Hot side rather than pull it from the battery.

Depending on your charger you could plug it straight into your Powerlet socket eliminating the need to do any special wiring for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:38 AM   #3
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,896
Quote:

I would suggest getting a kit from: http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Produc...AP-2/ap-2.html

Well made wiring harness.

The diagram posted appears to be for an AP-1, not the AP-2.

Also, I suggest powering the GPS off the GPS plug at the steering head.

Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buca
I would suggest getting a kit from: http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Produc...AP-2/ap-2.html

Well made wiring harness.

The diagram posted appears to be for an AP-1, not the AP-2.

Also, I suggest powering the GPS off the GPS plug at the steering head.

That's the one I bought. Should be here any day.

GPS plug at the steering head??

Hotspice, the charger for the Chatterbox is, currently, hardwired to the battery. It's not a socket type dealio. I'm just trying to decide if I want that on the always hot or switched side.

Ok, noob question here: To connect something to the AP-2 my understanding is that I would snip off the terminal connectors which currently go to the battery, strip a little bit back and insert them into the AP-2. Correct?
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 06-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,521
Quote:
That's the one I bought. Should be here any day.

GPS plug at the steering head??
1200GS's have a switched plug at the steering head that you can tap into to power a GPS (or use it for switched power for your relay)

Quote:
Hotspice, the charger for the Chatterbox is, currently, hardwired to the battery. It's not a socket type dealio. I'm just trying to decide if I want that on the always hot or switched side.
I'd run the charger switched. I've come out to my bike to a dead battery after it sat for a couple days because my GPS was charging .

Quote:
Ok, noob question here: To connect something to the AP-2 my understanding is that I would snip off the terminal connectors which currently go to the battery, strip a little bit back and insert them into the AP-2. Correct?
Nail, Head, you hit it..

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #6
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Though I 'tinned' the ends of the wires that I connected to the Centech terminals ... both to decrease electrical resistance and to ensure they didn't fray/break.
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Ok, I think I'm starting to get it, although I'd love to see a diagram specifically for an AP-2.

Looking at my bike this morning I realized I have another question. The harness which came with my PIAA 510's has a lead coming off the relay which is to connect to a switched power source. I don't see a similar lead on JVB's diagram. What do I do with this lead? Do I leave it connected to the switched wire (diagnostic port)? Snip it? Stuff it up my arse?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

That lead will go into one of the switched circuits on the AP-2.

You could dedicate one of your switched AP-2 circuits TO "relay switching" duty because you're going to use a short run of wire, carrying low amperage (roughly 0.5A per relay). It's quite likely that one of these terminals would accept 2-3 such thin wires.

If not, you'd splice them into a single piece of slightly larger gauge wire and insert THAT into the AP-2's switched "relay switching" terminal.

[EDIT: unless you want your 510's to come on only with your high beams, for example. In that case, you'd tap your high beam wire for your relay trigger].
Old 06-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
That lead will go into one of the switched circuits on the AP-2.

Huh. There are currently 3 wires coming off the lights' harness. 1 goes to the positive terminal of the battery, 1 goes to the negative terminal of the battery and 1 is posi-locked to the green/blue wire on the diagnostic port.

So do I connect both the switched lead and the wire which currently goes to the positive terminal onto the positive and switched side of the Centech and then the wire which currently goes to the negative terminal to the negative side of the Centech?

(Oh, and I'm disapointed in you NBeener. I figured you'd have me shoving the wire up my arse. Or the dog's arse. Or something twisted like that. Hd your coffee yet?? )
Old 06-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Huh. There are currently 3 wires coming off the lights' harness. 1 goes to the positive terminal of the battery, 1 goes to the negative terminal of the battery and 1 is posi-locked to the green/blue wire on the diagnostic port.

So do I connect both the switched lead and the wire which currently goes to the positive terminal onto the positive and switched side of the Centech and then the wire which currently goes to the negative terminal to the negative side of the Centech?
+tive and -tive are fairly straightforward: red to hot side of Centech. Black to ground side of same circuit, on Centech.

Trigger wire: you have to decide: do I JUST want the farkle live when the bike is running ('switched')?

If so, then you COULD dedicate a 2amp circuit, on the SWITCHED side of the Centech, as your "relay triggering" circuit, feeding all the relay trigger wires into IT, as I described above.

If, OTOH, you want the 510s on only with the hi-beams, or fogs on only with the low-beams (or similar triggering scenarios where X only comes on with Y), then you'll use Y's hot side as the source to trigger the relay that feeds X.

Quote:
(Oh, and I'm disapointed in you NBeener. I figured you'd have me shoving the wire up my arse. Or the dog's arse. Or something twisted like that. Hd your coffee yet?? )
a) Way too much respect for your dog
b) You have like 30 pounds on me and are trained to kill a man. I'm dumb, but I'm NOT stupid
Old 06-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
a) Way too much respect for your dog
I'm sure he thanks you.
Quote:
b) You have like 30 pounds on me
Only 30 pounds? You flatter me.
Quote:
and are trained to kill a man. I'm dumb, but I'm NOT stupid
Good point.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #12
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

The short answer was: you got it right in your last post.

I'm just suggesting that -- since relays only draw 0.5a to trigger -- you COULD use a separate, switched Centech circuit for that.

But you're right: you COULD plug BOTH the power wire AND the trigger wire, for a farkle, into the +tive side of the Centech, and then plug the ground wire for the SAME farkle into the -ive side of the SAME Centech circuit.

Me? I'd dedicate a relay-triggering Centech circuit, if you have enough switched circuits available.

You can always change to a "two wires into the hot side" scenario if you need the circuit later.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #13
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
The short answer was: you got it right in your last post.

I'm just suggesting that -- since relays only draw 0.5a to trigger -- you COULD use a separate, switched Centech circuit for that.

But you're right: you COULD plug BOTH the power wire AND the trigger wire, for a farkle, into the +tive side of the Centech, and then plug the ground wire for the SAME farkle into the -ive side of the SAME Centech circuit.

Me? I'd dedicate a relay-triggering Centech circuit, if you have enough switched circuits available.

You can always change to a "two wires into the hot side" scenario if you need the circuit later.
Gotcha. I only have one farkle that is switched though (lights) so I'm not gonna worry 'bout that.

If they hadn't taken away all my colored markers for coloring on the walls here I think I'd have a good diagram going. I'll try to do one in MS Paint (ala JVB) for everyone to critique.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #14
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Ok, here's what I think I'm going to do.

Thoughts? (I just realized I forgot to draw the negative lead from the horn to the negative side of the Centech. )

The GPS may go to the GPS lead but for now I'm showing it on the Centech since the cables are already right there. The Chatterbox charger is on the unswitched side since I only charge my Chatterbox at the end of hte day and not while riding. The Powerlet is unswitched as well so that I can run my air pump when the bike is off.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #15
slowinfastout
Just Ridin' By....

Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Ok, I think I'm starting to get it, although I'd love to see a diagram specifically for an AP-2.
If you buy the AP-2, and the dedicated wiring harness relay that comes with it, Centech will have great, detailed instructions that come with it. Its really not difficult, you'll spend more time in wire management (cable ties, screwing down relays, etc) than actually hooking up the wires themselves.
slowinfastout is offline   Reply With Quote