User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
davorallyfan OP
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,060
Thumb T h r a s h e r s T e r r i f y i n g T r e c k - 08

Back to Thrashers again for the 'O8 TTT.

There was quite a turnout at the Taralga Pub - the first port of call for TTT attendees.

Lotsa bikes with big front wheels

With a serve of lamb cutlets and a couple of Olds under my kilt it was off to Thrashers front yard - a secret location west of Sydney.

I met up with a fella on a CL250. I haven't seen one for years they have a lever to engage a super low 1st gear. He bought it for a song and is lovin' it.

I took my scrambler - I could have taken the DR, but in some ways thats cheating a bit.

After overnight rain it would have been nice to have a Knobbie on the front for the way out in the morning - key sera

There were a ton of Aussie ADV Riders there - feel free to add stuff folks
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
bongodave
Subcomandante Bongo

Oddometer: 36,588
"Lotsa bikes with big front wheels."

I'm hooked!
Old 08-30-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
LeLievre Down Under
Le Lievre DownUnder

Oddometer: 148
Bruce C at TTT

Davo - did you catch up with Bruce C on his Kwaka ? The scrambler looks sweet - no need for a knobby or trials tyre? HAve heard it;s a gnarly track in

Andrew

VFR800 DRZ 400E
LeLievre Down Under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:03 AM   #4
davorallyfan OP
Commonist

I found a bit too much clay for my road biased tyres on the way out - I took the "short cut" which had me fishtailing in 1st gear in deep super soft clay for half an hour (I believe I've found some long lost leg musseles ) - enough to completely cover the oil cooler on my trumpy. The engine then bisc fired the clay into rattly ceramic balls in various engine cavitities

But back to the entry - The run in via a circuitous route was a dream this year as a lot of the dirt roads have been done up. It was dry. However, you do need to concentrate as there are a few traps - at least this year there were no choppers taking injured riders out.

Here some picnic pix.

Nifty Nev and Mr B

Chris's Tuck Truck on the way home after a trip to the Top - Cant wait for his ride report. This is his set up for unsupported desert touring.

Some detail.

These two are doing a lap on SR500's - well set up. I remember a few did it way back when they first came out.

Extra tanks.

Pretty in red.

Looking in the background I did not know that Thrasher was a poultry fancier - I should knit him a skull cap for a racing pidgeon.

davorallyfan screwed with this post 08-31-2008 at 12:24 AM
Old 08-31-2008, 12:10 AM   #5
davorallyfan OP
Commonist

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeLievre Down Under
Davo - did you catch up with Bruce C on his Kwaka ? The scrambler looks sweet - no need for a knobby or trials tyre? HAve heard it;s a gnarly track in

Andrew
Bruce was there and I think AL58 has the pud for the Tot Rally
Old 08-31-2008, 12:20 AM   #6
KeithDommirider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
It was a fantastic trip.
A few of us went via swallowtail and had a good lunch at the pub , then sailed over the humps on the way to the rally.
I little bit of rain didn't dampen spirits around the fire , I had a great time , a bit worse for wear in the morning , made it out without dropping the bike in the mud , very lucky, I take my hat off to all the blokes on road bikes.

Many thanks to Thrasher and Sonia for having us.

Can't wait for next year :)

Here are a few shots.

A brief stop at the bottom of swallowtail.

At the xroads , ready to head into the rally , we were all in high spirits at this point , got to love those erosion humps :)

Setting up .

The morning after

On the way home.
KeithDommirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:27 AM   #7
Oldfatbeerman
Big on Corner speed

Oddometer: 3,252
I did a ride out to the TTT with DannoJ , met Dan at Richmond Maccas at 8 am Friday mornin` and then slabbed it west via the Bells line to Bell where we went Bush for a couple of hours and then popped out onto the tar at Ben Bullen , did a quick squirt up the tar to Capertee and then on the dirt again for the run to Hill End Via the Turon Gates and Sofala. Arrived Hill End about 2.30 pm , set up camp and went to da pub ( as we do ) . Got pissed , slept , left Hill End about 10 am Sat and did the Bridal track into Bathurst , got fuel for bikes and bodies and then headed through the farmland and forests South of Bathurst to join up with the Taralga rd just south of Shooters Hill and then took the Mt Werong rd through to the Range Trail and into Thrashers the back way.

A big night was had by many and I witnessed some interesting sights , probably the highlight (or low light for Rossco ) was the crash tackle Rossco performed on Trucker DJ , issue was , Trev was sitting in Rossco`s new Kermit Chair at the time , which didnt survive the impact . Yup, one smashed $ 150 folding chair . I reckon Rossco spent only 5 minutes sitting in that chair , FARKEN expensive 5 minutes of comfort. The things grown men do with a belly full of beer in them .

With the Rain falling pretty steadily all night and thru till about 6.30 am the planned route home was in doubt till Dan and I had a look at Thrashers drive way and having found no real issues with that decided to execute our original plan which was Back out via the Range trail and through the Kowmung trail to Jenolan Caves and home from there. Worked to a T , only issue being my gumby attempt at crossing the Kowmung river and just saving a topple over and needing assistance to get the Pumpkin upright so all in attendance got their feet wet ( Very wet ).Thanks again for saving my bacon guys .
Stopped for lunch and fuel at MT Victoria and ate with Bruce C while warming up and drying out some. Slabbed it home for arrival at 3.30 pm and another great adventure weekend is over except for the tedious stuff like cleaning the bike and gear, the black beer I`m drinking right now tastes very good though.

Cheers Alan

P.S. Hopefully Dan will post some pics , I forgot to pick up my Camera as I was leaving on Friday so have no visuals to show.

Oldfatbeerman screwed with this post 08-31-2008 at 12:34 AM
Oldfatbeerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:29 AM   #8
LeLievre Down Under
Le Lievre DownUnder

Oddometer: 148

I found a bit too much clay for my road biased tyres on the way out

Davo I love the old stories like 'one man caravan' exploits of George and Charis etc they are real legend and all on road bikes (weren;t any other type) and old tyres on whatever the road but why don;t you guys use a trials type hoop or cheap knobby and tube?

I'm amazed at some of the fully faired sports bikes that head into the Capital - TTT must make that look tame

cheers

Andrew

VFR800 DRZ 400E
LeLievre Down Under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:30 AM   #9
Doctor
Keyboard Renagade

Oddometer: 7,250
Great photos people I will have to remember the camera next year !
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:31 AM   #10
choccoloco
Cabin Fever....

Oddometer: 792
It was an eleventh hour decision to come after battling the flu during the week, glad I did.

I was quite surprised to be putting along on wombeyan caves rd when this harley comes flying past me..

Once the hills got steeper, I came across a sidecar who burnt out his clutch, he waited for it to cool before going back home. Got around the corner & saw an FZ1 lying on it's side. Helped him up, he had minor damage.

He then had problems getting up the hill, quite a bit of energy I used there helping him up....

As I was taking off, another sidecar couldn't make it up, cooking his clutch too. I think thrasher went back out to give him a tow.

Plenty of pics already of the campers, I'll leave that be.

About 10 riders had left before me, which turned out good, the track I'd expect would have got worse with all those riders heading out, with my tourances on standard street tyre pressures it was at times like an ice skating rink.

Many thanks to Thrasher & Sonia I had a great time.
choccoloco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:37 AM   #11
davorallyfan OP
Commonist

Mark (SBSP) and the lovely Leesa arrived XT and DR

Out of the bag Leesa produced the Muttaburra Mut.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378121
Old 08-31-2008, 12:54 AM   #12
davorallyfan OP
Commonist

Brian decided not to take his RT this year and reckons the Bug Cappachino handles better than his postie bike.

A few cold colations, curries crisps and a brew or two.

Note the yellow and red container - wine in small 1.25l size sans glass - perfect for packing. Now if only Mr Heinien can make those mini kegs in a better shape for packing then all would be right with the world.
The fire was lit.

davorallyfan screwed with this post 08-31-2008 at 01:00 AM
Old 08-31-2008, 01:50 AM   #13
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,011
The "Ghost who Walks" himself.
Attached Images

GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:35 AM   #14
upsidedowngreg
Gravel Surfer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
With a serve of lamb cutlets and a couple of Olds under my kilt it was off to Thrashers front yard - a secret location west of Sydney.
Wot no photo of the cutlets?
Old 08-31-2008, 03:55 AM   #15
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
Looks like too much fun, next year i'll get some winter woollies and some rain gear and be there too. But I'll be keeping my new bike away from the bon fire though,
to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote