ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 02:30 AM   #1
Triwi OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Oddometer: 42
Flexing my ABS

Does anyone else share my irritation with the switchable ABS? Changing from seal to dirt I prefer to switch off the ABS -
  • If I wish to stabilise the bike when entering, say, thick gravel a dab of the rear brake produces nothing, as the ABS lets go, at exactly the point I most need it.
  • Say I enter a steep blind downhill hairpin having forgotten to de activate, there is again only freewheeling available at precisely the moment the way is blocked with an uphill SUV.
  • So, I stop engine to regroup, ABS defaults on, start up again, 4 sec delay to switch off then catch up to my mates who have also stopped because they thought I had a problem . So I turn off to explain the prob then wait 4 seconds as they take off. So they slow down........... You get the picture
  • Trying to switch off when fully laden with bike not level, holding the awkward switch while reaching over the tankbag for 4 seconds, at the same time stopping bike moving without touching the brakes, can be quite interestng, especially if your pillion moves just at that moment.
Which brings me to my point. Has anybody any advice as to how the ABS system could be modified so that a simple one push button on the bars would deactivate the system, on the fly. I dont mind the default to on when motor starts but it would be nice to switch off without the stop and wait routine each time.
Thoughts?
cheers
Triwi
Triwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:24 AM   #2
Roeligan
Belgium power!!!
 
Roeligan's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triwi
Does anyone else share my irritation with the switchable ABS? Changing from seal to dirt I prefer to switch off the ABS -
  • If I wish to stabilise the bike when entering, say, thick gravel a dab of the rear brake produces nothing, as the ABS lets go, at exactly the point I most need it.
  • Say I enter a steep blind downhill hairpin having forgotten to de activate, there is again only freewheeling available at precisely the moment the way is blocked with an uphill SUV.
  • So, I stop engine to regroup, ABS defaults on, start up again, 4 sec delay to switch off then catch up to my mates who have also stopped because they thought I had a problem . So I turn off to explain the prob then wait 4 seconds as they take off. So they slow down........... You get the picture
  • Trying to switch off when fully laden with bike not level, holding the awkward switch while reaching over the tankbag for 4 seconds, at the same time stopping bike moving without touching the brakes, can be quite interestng, especially if your pillion moves just at that moment.
Which brings me to my point. Has anybody any advice as to how the ABS system could be modified so that a simple one push button on the bars would deactivate the system, on the fly. I dont mind the default to on when motor starts but it would be nice to switch off without the stop and wait routine each time.
Thoughts?
cheers
Triwi
PIA he...

Should try what it gives when you pull the fuse... if no other issues (FI warning, brake issues, ...) you could install a switch on the wire I think...
__________________
KTM 990 Adventure (Stealth one ; 2008-), now S-d & Beta 350 RR 2013 to play with
Suzuki DL-1000 V-Strom (2004-2008) and Suzuki GSF 600 Bandit (2002-2006)
www.roeligan.net
Roeligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
rgmax
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rgmax's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Orange County, Ca.
Oddometer: 223
I got tired of all that ABS button crap pretty quick.

I wired a ON/OFF rocker switch into the rear brake ABS sensor circuit. When switched off this basically causes the ABS to fault and turn off.

Now when off road I flip the switch to the OFF position the ABS stays off until I want it on again. No need to touch the factory ABS switch.

All it cost me was:

1) On/Off rocker switch
2) 2 male / 4 female wire connectors
3) about 8 feet/2.5 meters 16 ga. wire
4) 1 hour of my time

I had all this stuff lying around so it was free for me, might cost $10-$15 if you had to buy it.

The first step is to follow the glossy black wire from the rear ABS sensor pickup, you will find it ends under the seat above the rear shock.

I stripped about 40-50mm of the insulating cover off the wire leading into the female side of the connector. I cut one (doesn't matter which one ) of the wires and added wire connectors and then ran two wires along the frame rails to my switch on the dash.

When the switch is flipped OFF the signal from the rear ABS sensor is interrupted causing the system to detect a fault and turn off.

Here is a picture of the factory connector under the seat and my "splice" into it. The black stuff you see on my connectors is "liquid tape" for some additional water proofing. ( sorry, the pic could be be better, but you get the idea )



Here is a pic of the dash switch. I got this switch from Radio Shack for $3.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search



To turn the ABS back on just flip the switch back to ON and restart the bike.

You could also tap into the front ABS sensor and accomplish the same thing ( speedo/odo won't work though ).

rgmax screwed with this post 06-27-2008 at 02:34 PM
rgmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
Roeligan
Belgium power!!!
 
Roeligan's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 504
__________________
KTM 990 Adventure (Stealth one ; 2008-), now S-d & Beta 350 RR 2013 to play with
Suzuki DL-1000 V-Strom (2004-2008) and Suzuki GSF 600 Bandit (2002-2006)
www.roeligan.net
Roeligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dusty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Bismarck
Oddometer: 1,248
__________________
Originally Posted by d0gWateR
Vagrant, vagabond, transient, hobo, bum. But park a motorcycle next to him and PRESTO! He's an advrider!
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
frog
Beastly Adventurer
 
frog's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Heber City, UT
Oddometer: 2,766
Does your speedotill work when the switch is off. I usually pull the fus when I 'm going tobe offroad a lot but ten the speedo no worky worky. Hopefully the reae doesn't effect the speedo???
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
rgmax
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rgmax's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Orange County, Ca.
Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog
Does your speedotill work when the switch is off. I usually pull the fus when I 'm going tobe offroad a lot but ten the speedo no worky worky. Hopefully the reae doesn't effect the speedo???
I just remembered another reason why I didn't tap into the front sensor, it is also the signal for the speedometer.

Everything works as normal.
rgmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
frog
Beastly Adventurer
 
frog's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Heber City, UT
Oddometer: 2,766
Heading into the garage right now. Thanks I thought either one would cancel the speedo.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer
 
ridewestKTM's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: now in Katy TX
Oddometer: 1,695
brilliant solution rgmax!!

Makes me want to go buy a 990 just to do that
ridewestKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:37 AM   #10
Triwi OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Oddometer: 42
Thanks Roeleke and Rgmax. I'm sitting here pondering 'Why didnt I think of that?'
Will have a play with wires and fuses and see if I can get a button somewhere near my left hand.
cheers from downunder
triwi
Triwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:40 AM   #11
Roeligan
Belgium power!!!
 
Roeligan's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triwi
Thanks Roeleke and Rgmax. I'm sitting here pondering 'Why didnt I think of that?'
Will have a play with wires and fuses and see if I can get a button somewhere near my left hand.
cheers from downunder
triwi
show us your final setup if you succeed.. always willing to see other solutions (as I don't want to fuck up stuff and do it nicely )
__________________
KTM 990 Adventure (Stealth one ; 2008-), now S-d & Beta 350 RR 2013 to play with
Suzuki DL-1000 V-Strom (2004-2008) and Suzuki GSF 600 Bandit (2002-2006)
www.roeligan.net
Roeligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:27 AM   #12
Triwi OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Oddometer: 42
Finally talked to Autosparky who is local Bosch and ABS expert and did the following after being initially motivated by this thread. Linked a wire each into both wires of rear ABS circuit at the plug under the seat. Ran them to the red handlebar switch. Now have instant off with a dab of switch. Whenever the ignition is switched on the ABS automatically resets. No need for a rocker type switch which has to be manually switched which is needed if you loop just one side of the circuit to the bar switch.
Have to say I did querie the sparky about apparently introducing a short circuit by doing it this way but he just smiled and said No. Before doing the 990 I alterred my 650 Dakar and have been running it for a month. Works perfectly. No ill effects whatsoever plus the bonus of automatic reset every startup.
cheers
triwi
Attached Images
 
Triwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:28 AM   #13
Triwi OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Oddometer: 42
and again
Attached Images
 
Triwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:40 AM   #14
Roeligan
Belgium power!!!
 
Roeligan's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triwi
Finally talked to Autosparky who is local Bosch and ABS expert and did the following after being initially motivated by this thread. Linked a wire each into both wires of rear ABS circuit at the plug under the seat. Ran them to the red handlebar switch. Now have instant off with a dab of switch. Whenever the ignition is switched on the ABS automatically resets. No need for a rocker type switch which has to be manually switched which is needed if you loop just one side of the circuit to the bar switch.
Have to say I did querie the sparky about apparently introducing a short circuit by doing it this way but he just smiled and said No. Before doing the 990 I alterred my 650 Dakar and have been running it for a month. Works perfectly. No ill effects whatsoever plus the bonus of automatic reset every startup.
cheers
triwi
So basically, it works the same as the default switch, but without the 3 to 4 second delay?
So the button just interupts the the abs very short after which it automatically disengages?
__________________
KTM 990 Adventure (Stealth one ; 2008-), now S-d & Beta 350 RR 2013 to play with
Suzuki DL-1000 V-Strom (2004-2008) and Suzuki GSF 600 Bandit (2002-2006)
www.roeligan.net
Roeligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:45 AM   #15
Triwi OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Oddometer: 42
On the go instant deactivation. No stop no delay
triwi
Triwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014