Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #61
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by viatormundi
I would say, a TRUE adventure rider would prefer a low technology, not necessarily easy to ride but fun, reliable and versatile bike alas KTM 990 Adv :-)

But I am sure when the global economy recovers, KTM will release a 1190 Adventure version more suited for asphalt adventure touring and that bike most probably will have more technological gizmoz like BMWs because KTM wants to expand its customer base to 1200GS buyers.

Like it or not, individuals such as myself ARE the future of KTM ! The old school "rough and tough" rider is a thing of the past. As KTM 950/990's appeal to a broader base of riders, said riders will expect and demand excellence in a product. I'm sure the first automobile with electric windows was jeered by the mass public, but now is standard. The modern buyer of KTM products will dictate the product, or the 990/950 will become a thing of the past !
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #62
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWSNBN
Like it or not, individuals such as myself ARE the future of BMW!
fixed
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #63
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
No offense taken, but alas, the 990 seems to be the new TRUE adventure rider's choice. Seems only practical that it be outfitted with all the latest technology available to make it as easy to ride, and safe as possible. I have a friend that is an electrical engineer/designer, that is going to investigate the feasibility for me. I was hoping someone had performed this modification, and could offer some insight.
are you saying that when riding in the dirt you want the computer to control how much you can get on the gas ?? You don't want wheelspin ?

I just rode 640 miles in the dirt this weekend and my rear tire was moving twice as fast as my front tire.. its why I own a 990.. I killed the tire in 600 miles but it sure was fun !!
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=88065

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #64
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897
Seems to me that traction control would put all riders on an equal playing field.

Here is an example: A friend and I were stopping by Starbucks for a latte' a few days ago. We decided to be real rebels and ride through the grass around to the front. His bike had traction control, so when he applied the throttle, his bike tracked around the corner perfectly ! When I applied the throttle the rear slipped from under me ! My new riding gear is now stained and my reputation as an adventure rider is tarnished forever there !
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #65
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,020
Quote:
Seems to me that traction control would put all riders on an equal playing field.

Here is an example: A friend and I were stopping by Starbucks for a latte' a few days ago. We decided to be real rebels and ride through the grass around to the front. His bike had traction control, so when he applied the throttle, his bike tracked around the corner perfectly ! When I applied the throttle the rear slipped from under me ! My new riding gear is now stained and my reputation as an adventure rider is tarnished forever there !
guys

stop feeding the trolls
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #66
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
Fascinating!

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #67
pigstain
Out of Control

Oddometer: 322
Back to the thread.

I installed a sub miniature toggle switch from Radio Shack in the left control pod. Tried a momentary switch but for some reason it didn't work. Toggle switch works perfectly and once ABS is off it can be flipped to on, clutch pulled and starter thumbed and ABS resets.

2005 Honda CRF450X plated
pigstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:38 AM   #68
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Pissed

HWSNBN you should go and buy a BMW and f*#k off, we dont want you to be the future of KTM.

KTM 950/990's are serious bikes and should be for serious riders.

You obviously have no riding ability and no understanding of what works on a dirt bike. Have you ever ridden in sand with traction control?

Go and get yourself a roadie and stop giving adventure riders a bad name.

This thread wouldnt exist if all technology was good!
rider911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #69
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,783
There is no reason for dispute.

950A and 990A are more off road oriented and a 1200 could be more on road oriented for BMW type adventurers. Each on his own (scuse my english). Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #70
memomate13
chop chop

Oddometer: 37
Quote:

memomate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #71
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,072
Quote:

I'm sure you rep. amongst you riding buds is not tarnished, if anything they thing you are a hard core off roader. After all most of them biff there bikes in the garage trying to turn around. I saw a Goldwing with retractable 'training wheels' maybe you should get that.....or learn how to ride. Wanker.

Earl

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #72
slackeye_images
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Electro-Douche-990

No offense taken, but alas, the 990 seems to be the new TRUE adventure rider's choice. Seems only practical that it be outfitted with all the latest technology available to make it as easy to ride, and safe as possible. I have a friend that is an electrical engineer/designer, that is going to investigate the feasibility for me. I was hoping someone had performed this modification, and could offer some insight.
Like the other rider said, if you know how to ride and use proper throttle input to achieve desired/safe result...you wouldn't be wondering about your electronics-engineer-buddy to design you an Electro-Douche-990; In fact, there already is one: It's called a GSA and is probably a Honda engineer's wet-dream.
Please buy a GSA, they come with a free box of Depends undergarments, in case you crap your pants when you realize that the traction control will get your 750lb monster stuck on a hill because it won't let you power-spin up it.
BOLLOCKS!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #73
slackeye_images
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Fkn trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWSNBN View Post

I *knew* it ... it was the "Latte"...and the upturned pinky-finger, that gave it away. Hell, if he had traction control, you wouldn't be able to see the smoke coming from his spinning tyre ... and as you know the saying goes, "where there's smoke, there's a flamer ... I mean, fire" .. =/
BOLLOCKS!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #74
ึึ.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 268
How about installing a switch and a small pulse generator to rear sensor line? Switch the generator on and the ABS thinks that the rear wheel is spinning even you lock it. Turn the switch off and the real sensor pulse comes back. This way you could switch rear ABS on/off on the fly and still use front ABS all the time.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #75
ึึ.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 268
I thought the ABS unit is considering front and rear as a separate systems? This came to my mind because I have heard that you can bypass the ABS unit on the rear brake line and still get a working front ABS. If I understand correctly what you are saying, in the case of bypassed rear ABS, while locking the rear it should make the front ABS not work simultaneously?