User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 02:34 AM   #1
liviob OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Front wheel removal?

I need to remove the front wheel from my bike and noticed that with the bike up on the center stand there does not seem to be enough room for the wheel to clear the fender after the axle is pulled. Will placing a 2x4 under the center stand raise the bike high enough for the tire to clear the fender or is there an easier method? I can see that i will need to weight the rear of the bike or use a scissor jack under the engine. It just seems that if i had a problem out on the road that required front wheel removal i should just be able to lift the bike onto the center stand and remove the wheel.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:11 AM   #2
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,642
Been a long time since I owned my R1150GS, but if I recall correctly as soon as your remove the front axle the bike will rock back onto the rear tire while on the centerstand. That'll give you sufficient clearance to remove the front tire and you won't need any jack under the engine or other weight on the rear of the bike. Really miss that convenient balance feature on the R1200GSA.
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:43 AM   #3
liviob OP
Studly Adventurer

That makes sense. I will pull the axle and see what happens next. The balance you mentioned sure made it easy to service the clutch.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,588
Not sure if this will work for the 1150 but it makes it a one man job on the 1200, which is front heavy and will not balance even with the wheel off. Slide the cinder block underneath partly and place 4x4 on top, resting against the front of the skid plate. Lift the front wheel with one hand and use a broom stick or similar to push it under the skidplate. I then use a BFH to knock the 4x4 under a little further.

secure enough to remove both wheels as well.

Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
liviob OP
Studly Adventurer

From your photo I can see that BMW moved the center stand back from center on the 1200. I bet there was a spirited debate about that decision in the designers room before it was approved.

liviob screwed with this post 01-29-2014 at 10:20 AM
liviob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #6
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by liviob View Post
BMW moved the center stand back from center on the 1200. I bet there was a spirited debate about that decision in the designers room before it was approved.
The 05-06 had a weight balance issue, but after that it was rear biased.

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Tire_Change.html

JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Flex the guard

Pulled my GSA wheel a few days ago for a new tyre. Clearance is tight, but the black plastic splash guard flexes enough to slip the wheel out. Ditto for getting it back in. A 1" block under the centrestand legs would have made life much easier, but you would have to prop the bike with a scissor jack or block of wood for safety if going too high. I just wedged a plastic can under the engine to prevent the bike from tipping forward. Out on the road I've just eased it out as the bike balances well with pannier weight holding the back down. You can strap the centre stand to something up front like the crash bars or around a (cool) cylinder as well (for safety). I never bother with simple wheel changes.

Quote:
I need to remove the front wheel from my bike and noticed that with the bike up on the center stand there does not seem to be enough room for the wheel to clear the fender after the axle is pulled. Will placing a 2x4 under the center stand raise the bike high enough for the tire to clear the fender or is there an easier method? I can see that i will need to weight the rear of the bike or use a scissor jack under the engine. It just seems that if i had a problem out on the road that required front wheel removal i should just be able to lift the bike onto the center stand and remove the wheel.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:30 AM   #8
Steptoe
steptoe

Oddometer: 2,436
Quote:
I need to remove the front wheel from my bike and noticed that with the bike up on the center stand there does not seem to be enough room for the wheel to clear the fender after the axle is pulled. .

Turn the handlebars to one side and the wheel can then be removed by a 5 year old.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:16 AM   #9
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Turn the handlebars to one side and the wheel can then be removed by a 5 year old.
Brilliant!

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:53 AM   #10
liviob OP
Studly Adventurer

I haven't removed the wheel yet and your technique seems simple enough to try. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Maybe, but .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
...... on the GSA the black splash guard is still there with the wheel and hits the tyre as you move the wheel forward after removing the axle. Doesn't matter if you turn the steering. That's on the stock centrestand so everything is pretty close to ground level (standard length shocks and paralever arm).

Anyway, the guard has enough flex and it will come out without blocks under the centre stand in the straight-ahead position. Even a new Heidenau K60 (tall tyre with block tread) goes back in ok, so it's not a big problem.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #12
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,309
I tried once, but I only had a 4 year old and a 6 year old around to help, never did get the tire off of that bike.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #13
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIXR View Post
...... on the GSA the black splash guard is still there with the wheel and hits the tyre as you move the wheel forward after removing the axle. Doesn't matter if you turn the steering. That's on the stock centrestand so everything is pretty close to ground level (standard length shocks and paralever arm).

Anyway, the guard has enough flex and it will come out without blocks under the centre stand in the straight-ahead position. Even a new Heidenau K60 (tall tyre with block tread) goes back in ok, so it's not a big problem.
Just roll the tire from the bottom letting it slide as it rolls out from under the fender. No damage. Reverse to put it on. I do the same on an RT.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #14
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Just roll the tire from the bottom letting it slide as it rolls out from under the fender. No damage. Reverse to put it on. I do the same on an RT.
I think we are talking the same thing. I never have an issue, and as you state, the tyre just slides out under the guard anyway. The Heidenau is 'taller' than the previous dual purpose tyres I was using, so there is more interference with the guard, but not enough to stop the removal.

Anyway, I now have a bike lift, so it will never be an issue at home in the shed, but people still need to know how to get their wheels off by the side of the road or when stuck in some small town needing repairs.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #15
liviob OP
Studly Adventurer

A Heidenou is what is on the front of this bike. It fits close to the underside of the fender. Should have given them some pudding mouthfulloflake. Maybe i should make a video of the wheel removal?