Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #751
indianscout
Dexter

Oddometer: 617
I leave for Yellowstone tomarrow morning, too bad we couldn't ride together. Of course I'll be two weeks behind your report when I get back. High speed internet in MN is not really high speed at all compaired to other parts of the country. At least the weather has broken for now and you don't have to contend with the 45 mph winds. Would have enjoyed meeting you, perhaps another time. Have a safe ride Mr. Cob.

indianscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #752
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Wink Yah shuure, I ve in dat Minneesoota....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianscout
I leave for Yellowstone tomarrow morning, too bad we couldn't ride together. Of course I'll be two weeks behind your report when I get back. High speed internet in MN is not really high speed at all compaired to other parts of the country. At least the weather has broken for now and you don't have to contend with the 45 mph winds. Would have enjoyed meeting you, perhaps another time. Have a safe ride Mr. Cob.
Howdy Indianscout,

When I arrived at my Host's home a bit northeast of Cook, Minnesota on September 1st, the temperature was in the high 80's. That night it cooled down into the high 40's-low 50's with heavy rain, the next day I rode in light rain for many miles the temperature in the mid 50's, yup I ve in dat Minneeesoota und the vind it tis a blowin yah shuure, by golly I ve glad vhen I get da HELL outa here you betcha.

The wind was blowing hard from the west while on Hwy #1, so hard that the mighty Ural could at times only run at 57 mph on flat ground. Two things that I don't like about riding west across the flat lands, bucking a constant wind from the west and looking into the sun from late afternoon until sunset, I have many miles of this ahead of me.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #753
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,422
Libraries are a good source for high-speed wireless. When I was out at the Cromag Campout a few years ago, 3 of us went to town & hooked up at the library on steps. It was funny. The three of us on bikes, whip out the laptops & park our butts on the steps of the library to make an appearance on ADVrider. I was looking pretty rough, no shave for a couple of weeks, I think jkam was there & he always looks like that , and maybe dork. He always looks presentable. A guy from across the street came over & invited us to his house if we wanted to be somewhere a little more comfortable.

Gotta love New England.

Motel parking lots are another good source although there may be laws against such nefarious activity in some places.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #754
indianscout
Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
Howdy Indianscout,

When I arrived at my Host's home a bit northeast of Cook, Minnesota on September 1st, the temperature was in the high 80's. That night it cooled down into the high 40's-low 50's with heavy rain, the next day I rode in light rain for many miles the temperature in the mid 50's, yup I ve in dat Minneeesoota und the vind it tis a blowin yah shuure, by golly I ve glad vhen I get da HELL outa here you betcha.

The wind was blowing hard from the west while on Hwy #1, so hard that the mighty Ural could at times only run at 57 mph on flat ground. Two things that I don't like about riding west across the flat lands, bucking a constant wind from the west and looking into the sun from late afternoon until sunset, I have many miles of this ahead of me.

Not a bad pace for such wind but I'm sure your milage dropped abit on that strech ya you bechya too. Into the sun is bad enough but then you can't see deer or cagers eather but den I'm sure yu'a done enough rid'n on da dare motortickel to handle dat sort'a stuff dare den. Monatusentok Mr. Cob! Ride safe!!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #755
indianscout
Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph
Libraries are a good source for high-speed wireless. When I was out at the Cromag Campout a few years ago, 3 of us went to town & hooked up at the library on steps. It was funny. The three of us on bikes, whip out the laptops & park our butts on the steps of the library to make an appearance on ADVrider. I was looking pretty rough, no shave for a couple of weeks, I think jkam was there & he always looks like that , and maybe dork. He always looks presentable. A guy from across the street came over & invited us to his house if we wanted to be somewhere a little more comfortable.

Gotta love New England.

Motel parking lots are another good source although there may be laws against such nefarious activity in some places.

It appears that for what ever reason, high speed here is slower than in many other parts of the country. Came accross this issue about a year ago and since then heard about it from the media too so it seems to have some merit. Like Mr. Cob, many travelers coming through run into this and it can be a problem. But then I guess the US is slower than many other countries when it comes to high speed internet (again so I have heard). Don't know the reasons but it is irritating.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:10 AM   #756
redflasher
Baltika Lover

Oddometer: 148
Dave(Mr Cob) arrived at my home in suburban Minneapolis late afternoon yesterday. Fed him, washed his clothes, and b.s.'d with him into the evening.

Taking a short ride to the Capitol grounds this morning. Pics to follow...
redflasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:02 AM   #757
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
Howdy Marvin,

It was not the fault of the valves being too tight. This has been a problem for Ural in the past, it has been much less of a problem in the last three years but it will occasionally happen. The slow riding in heavy stop ( mostly stop ) and go traffic for about an hour didn't help but it was not the cause.

In the future hopefully the near future I think the Urals will come from the factory with some type of steel threaded insert in the crankcase casting. The factory is following this ride report and is aware of what has happened, I am sure that discussions are or will be held concerning this. I know that when I get back home I will be involved in discussions with the folks who have the power to change things and will put in my $0.02 worth to change the production process when it comes to how the studs are secured into the crankcase.
I hope you're right so that I can purchase one with confidence that it won't happen again after only around 7K when I'm half way to Alaska and back. Great report BTW and thanks for the honesty. I had just talked to Mark yesterday in Bellingham regarding putting in an order in January and picking one up in July 09 but until I see how they take care of this obvious and continuous flaw, I'll hold off. BTW, how many miles are you averaging on the tires?
Old 09-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #758
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,414
Hey Cob, the sun is back out here in Washington state.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:18 AM   #759
cubituscubitus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by redflasher
Dave(Mr Cob) arrived at my home in suburban Minneapolis late afternoon yesterday. Fed him, washed his clothes, and b.s.'d with him into the evening.

Taking a short ride to the Capitol grounds this morning. Pics to follow...
Hi Redflasher,
I tried to give you a call with no result -I'm assuming you were out.
cubituscubitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #760
Mr. Cob OP

Thumb Thanks for the call and welcome to the asylem...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubituscubitus
Hi Redflasher,
I tried to give you a call with no result -I'm assuming you were out.
Howdy Thierry,

Bob did receive the call, it took a bit to figure out who it was from as it came across very garbled.

Thanks for calling, when the call came in Bob was out and I had not yet arrived. I now have my photos down loaded and will after this post start to work on the ride report hopefully bringing it up to date before the day is over.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:56 AM   #761
Mr. Cob OP

Eh? Michigan, I enter the rust belt..................

Howdy All,

I knew I was now in the Midwest, land of salted winter roads, the cars in the area prove this too be true.

In the last chapter of the saga I had left the "Buckeye State" and was headed for Michigan. I arrived at "Crawford Sales" the Ural dealership in South Lyons, Michigan at about 2:PM.

Terry's shop is well equipped, clean and orderly, he has a large assortment of parts and accessories in stock. Here are some photos of Terry's show room, check out the Royal Enfield, with the side-hack.

Bin after bin of parts and one of the originally imported "Retro" solos.

When I arrived at Terry's shop the tour rig was in need of a new rear tire and the 17,500 klick service. Here are shots of the tire being replaced and the service being done.

Once the new tire is in place and the fluids have been changed we tackle the carb sync, spark plug change, valve setting and timing check. Notice the two large fans that Terry uses to cool the engine while performing this work.

Before doing the carb sync, we spray some starter fluid at and around the carb manifolds, this reveals that the carb manifold on the left side is leaking, we replace BOTH carb manifolds. This shows the crack in the old manifold. Do this test often DO NOT run your rig with a leaky manifold you WILL burn a piston.

New manifolds in place, Terry syncs the carbs.

Another change I have made to the rig is the installation of a off-on switch to the back side of the spot light. The stock switch is located within the sidecar this is to keep folks from turning on the switch while messing around with the rig while it's parked and running the battery down.

For some reason people seem to think it's OK to just sit on the rig and diddle around with it while it's sitting un attended, I have unloosed the "Cob" on several occasions when this has happened and I catch folks doing it. Having the second switch on the spot light allows me to turn it off and on from the riding position even when I have the tub fully packed and the cover secured, this comes in real handy at times.

I can turn the switch in the tub to the off position and make the outside switch inoperable so even if someone turns it on it won't run the battery down. Yes I know the spot light could be wired so that it is only hot while the ignition is on but there on times when it's handy to just be able to turn it on without running the engine or having all the other lights on.

Terry had house guests during the time of my stay so he kindly arranged for me to stay in a nearby very nice Motel, having a room of my own to just lounge around in was nice change, sometimes it's nice to just be a bit of a pig and relax with out disturbing other folks.

Yup we ate good.............Here I shared a meal with Terry's family, I had a 16 ounce Rib Eye, RED meat baby Ummummmmmmmmmmmmmm.

While looking through Terry's parts collection, I ran across this little item, I took a lot of photos as I will be making one when I return home to hold my RPK.

I say goodbye to Pat, Terry's wife who took very good care of me.

Terry signs the cover.

I say farewell to Terry and thank him for the tire and the work he did to the rig.

Watching Terry work on the rig, talking to him and seeing how he interacts with customers, makes it easy for me to highly recommend him and his shop for both sales and service. Here is the full contact information for Terry's shop.

Michigan, Crawford Sales Company

*URAL Dealer of the Year 2006 - Sales Volume
10138 Colonial Industrial Dr., South Lyon, MI 48178
Phone: (248) 437-8107
Fax: (248) 437-3950
crawfordsales@sbcglobal.net
www.crawfordsales.info/

Thank you Terry for the tire and all the work you did to the rig, thanks for putting me up in a nice comfortable place that had good Internet access, thanks for the meals and the tips learned from your many years of experience working on the Ural. Please if you are ever up in the Nor-Wet look me up and visit with us.

So my sojourn brings me into the Midwest, my next stop would be in Indiana where I would visit a fellow Calvary Vet who summers in "Jelly Stone Park", "Hey hey Bobo lets steal us a picnic basket"

Old 09-07-2008, 01:05 PM   #762
Mr. Cob OP

Talking Indiana, flat land, corn filled fields and Jelly Stone park camp grounds.............

Howdy All,

I took the opportunity and used this road sign as an excuse just to let you all know that even if it is "205" I am still after 73 days on the road having one Hell of a good time.

My next host would be a man I spent close to 18 months with in Vietnam, Edwardo Colon, who I was introduced to then and still now call "Papino" was a wild and crazy Puerto-Rican who came to live in the USA at the age of two when his family immigrated here in 1950. Ed, was a good solider who served two full years in Vietnam, was wounded awarded the Purple Heart, and received the Bronze Star with "V" devise for Valor, a man I then and now would willingly trust with my life.

Papino has lived his entire life other then his time in service in Gary Indiana, for the last 15 years he has spent much of the summer in a small trailer which is located in one of the chain of camp grounds known as "Jelly Stone Park". Staying at the park is quite nice, it's clean, quiet and no gang shootings are occurring on a nightly basis. I have tried to talk Papino into moving out of the neighborhood he lives in but as he says it's all he has ever known and it's his home.

I arrive at the Park.

This is Papino's trailer.

Within the park there is a small lake, where folks can fish, swim and relax. This was taken at the mouth of a small stream that drains from the lake, lots of fish, frogs and birds hang out among the Lilly pads.

I arrived just in time to partake of a huge yearly feast, each year many of the folks gather at Papino's yard to roast corn and share a pot-luck feast. The food was of many varieties and GOOD, if a person went hungry while at the feast it was no ones fault but their own. Here are some random photos of the food preparation and consumption. Victor roasts the corn.

one of the folks attending brings the water melon.

It's a darn good thing I arrived in time for the feast as Papino rarely eats, seriously, this is a shot of his refrigerator, beer and three tomatoes. We went out to eat at restaurants as Ed keeps little or no food in the house.

Papino is a friend, I make no judgments but I must admit to being concerned about his health, it's his life, lived the way he wants too, he's happy so what will be will be.

The food starts to arrive.

The kids waste no time in getting stuffed.

The tables start to fill as the grown ups sit down to eat.

The feast goes on all day and into the evening, "Yogi" stops by to entertain the kids.

My time with Papino is spent sharing lots of old memories, we spoke of Mike Alongi our mutual friend who was killed at Fire Base Rita, Ed has never really recovered from this lose, he still has a very hard time dealing with the memories of that night so long ago, sleep deprivation and self medication with too much beer are starting to take a toll on him.

Here is a photo taken of me and Papino in 1968, we are standing next to my Track a "Zippo". In-between us, you can see that we had just finished naming the track, "Burning Sensation". In the photo to the right I am sitting on the hatch of turret, you can see where we had painted "Crispy Critter's Inc." on the flame gun, we had not yet cut the letters out of the tape to give the Track it's name. Combat humor can have a dark side to it.

Here forty years later, Ed and I strike the same pose next to the Ural. Forty years and still Brothers.

It is time to travel on, I say farewell to Papino.

Papino, thanks for hosting me while on this trip, it's good to see again and I hope that you find some sense of peace in the future. We talked about your coming out to the Nor-Wet to visit, please do so I enjoyed the last time you came and want to show you more of this part of the country the next time you come. Take care my Brother, be well, strive for peace, please don't continue to let the past drag you down.

And so with a bit of sadness I depart from Indiana and head west then north into Wisconsin. The weather has definitely changed, it's getting cooler now, still warm sometimes hot during the day but the nights have a chill in them, I am slowly getting closer to home.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #763
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
Beautiful words, Mr. Cob. I'm glad the trip is still going well for you. That is the biggest watermelon I've ever seen!

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #764
dillon
Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer: 1,639
Only an RPK for the car?! C'mon i thought you were the type to atleast mount an RPD maybe even a PKM
Sweet pictures as always
dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #765
Mr. Cob OP

Eh? Wisconsin, they don't serve cheese and crackers in the taverns anymore..............

Howdy All,

Moving right along whilst I have Internet access. Let the next chapter begin.

When I left Papino's trailer in Indiana, I had a long day in the saddle ahead of me. I would cover 443 miles crossing the top of Indiana and Illinois before swinging north into central Wisconsin where Ken my next host lived.

Ken was attending a family reunion so he wasn't home when I arrived, he had a small RV set up for my use as living quarters so after checking into the RV, I went down town for some lunch. Down town consisted of a few buildings one of which was a tavern-restaurant which just happened to serve some pretty darn good food. I parked out front and went inside.

The inside looked much the same as many old style taverns and bars, this ain't no city slicker sports bar.

However the list of brews carried would put most high class city joints to shame.

As I was lookin over the menu a group of Hog riders stopped in for a brew and a bite. They were quite interested in the Ural and bought me a brew as I related the trip thus-far. One of the things I had always enjoyed about stopping in taverns in Wisconsin is that they served crackers and cheese, I was told this was no longer the case because of recent health laws, just like the laws that out lawed boiled peanuts being sold by mom and pop stores in the south, "progress" had reared it's ugly head in the north-lands.

I ordered up some shrimp scampi that was really excellent.

And saved some to share with you folks.

After my meal, I rode around back and parked next to the Hogs, one of which was setup with a hack.

I then rode back to Ken's home.

Lots of out buildings that I would later find out were housing MANY old rigs and other assorted treasures.

I went into the RV and got myself setup for the evening.

I was tired, I fell asleep, about 11: 30 PM Ken knocked on the door and asked if I was interested a tour of the shop, Hell yeah. Here's Ken.

Ken is a retired air line pilot, engine re-builder and all around tinkerer of things mechanical. He specializes in the rebuilding of the Dneper, a brand of Russian bike that is similar to the Ural but has not been produced for many years. Ken showed me around the shop and we talked until 2:AM in the morning before I finally had to go back to bed before my eyes just stayed closed. Ken is one of the hosts that I would loved to have spent a week with, the knowledge this man has accumulated in his 75 years is astounding to say the least. Here are some random shots of his shop and projects.

Ken rewinds and rebuilds Russian alternators as just one of the unique jobs he will undertake.

Ken has just recently added an English Wheel to his stock of tools and equipment, here it sits in front of his Heat Treat Oven.

At around 2:AM I just couldn't stay awake any longer, I took the farewell photo of Ken just before going to bed as I would be up and gone long before he planned on getting up the next morning.

Ken I can't put into words how much I wished I could have stayed longer at your home, I have so many questions to ask and so much to learn from someone as wise as yourself. Thanks for providing me with a comfortable place to sleep, thanks for information you shared. I "will" be getting in contact with you as regards coated cylinders, pistons and combustion chambers. If you ever make it out my way please let me know I would love to host you and learn more from you.

After going to bed, setting the alarm for 6:AM I settled in for a good but short nights sleep, the long ride ahead would take me to my old home land of northern Minneesoota, land of ice, snow and mosquitoes that are big enough to carry off stray dogs and small unattended children.