Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #1081
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderhooner View Post
I've recently finished reading your relay ride report in the side car. Awesome!

I'm now on page 38 of this, your USA ride report.

I just wanted to add that your essay on page 36 has moved me considerable today and I thank you for sharing such personal sentiments, memories and experiences.

The world aint so big.

Howdy Karl,

Thank you for your words here on the ride report and for your most thoughtful and appreciated PM. Be well my Brother, you have earned it.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #1082
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,023
Phew, 2 weeks after starting the report I finally finished it! Great report, I enjoyed every minute of it. It's funny seeing the little connections too, I met Paula (prairierider) about a year back, the pics of her turned on a little light bulb that led me on a dig through old PM's to remember why I recognized her. I traded my 08 KLR for an 04 Tourist last summer (I wish I could give you credit, but it was just happenstance and good timing) and I'm finally getting less intimidated by it, they're really not overly complicated machines. If only I could track down a reasonably priced tool kit to replace my MIA one .

One question that I don't recall seeing answered (though I may have skimmed over it) is how many times did you (and do you as you're still riding) actually use the 2wd? Not gonna lie, the thought of upgrading to a Gear Up or Patrol has crossed my mind a few times. The Ural is the only rig my wife has ever been comfortable (possibly even happy) riding in/on, so I think keeping one in the garage is definitely worth the space, just trying to figure out which one it should be. The Tourist is a dealer model (has all the 05 upgrades, I believe it started it's life at Logan's), so it's definitely a new enough one to warrant keeping for a long time, but I keep getting the 2WD itch.

Also, have you ever run into any hacks with roll bars installed? I've been told by the wife that should I ever want to take our daughter (who is a whopping one month old, gonna be a bit) on a rid, it'll need a seat belt and a roll bar. The fallback is taking it to a local welding shop, but as you are our resident Ural expert I thought I'd check with you to see what you've seen.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I'm off to peruse your latest ride report. If you're ever in the Fort Collins area I'd be happy to offer up the guest room (it comes with a Great Dane and a Mastiff so you'll get your dog fix) as well as buy you dinner and a couple beers. Take care,

Geoff

EDIT - After reading the first post of the Euro-Uraling thread, I'm intrigued by the engine guard and skid plate, can you post or PM me prices and more info?

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #1083
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
Phew, 2 weeks after starting the report I finally finished it! Great report, I enjoyed every minute of it. It's funny seeing the little connections too, I met Paula (prairierider) about a year back, the pics of her turned on a little light bulb that led me on a dig through old PM's to remember why I recognized her. I traded my 08 KLR for an 04 Tourist last summer (I wish I could give you credit, but it was just happenstance and good timing) and I'm finally getting less intimidated by it, they're really not overly complicated machines. If only I could track down a reasonably priced tool kit to replace my MIA one .

One question that I don't recall seeing answered (though I may have skimmed over it) is how many times did you (and do you as you're still riding) actually use the 2wd? Not gonna lie, the thought of upgrading to a Gear Up or Patrol has crossed my mind a few times. The Ural is the only rig my wife has ever been comfortable (possibly even happy) riding in/on, so I think keeping one in the garage is definitely worth the space, just trying to figure out which one it should be. The Tourist is a dealer model (has all the 05 upgrades, I believe it started it's life at Logan's), so it's definitely a new enough one to warrant keeping for a long time, but I keep getting the 2WD itch.

Also, have you ever run into any hacks with roll bars installed? I've been told by the wife that should I ever want to take our daughter (who is a whopping one month old, gonna be a bit) on a rid, it'll need a seat belt and a roll bar. The fallback is taking it to a local welding shop, but as you are our resident Ural expert I thought I'd check with you to see what you've seen.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I'm off to peruse your latest ride report. If you're ever in the Fort Collins area I'd be happy to offer up the guest room (it comes with a Great Dane and a Mastiff so you'll get your dog fix) as well as buy you dinner and a couple beers. Take care,

Geoff

EDIT - After reading the first post of the Euro-Uraling thread, I'm intrigued by the engine guard and skid plate, can you post or PM me prices and more info?
Howdy Geoff,

Thanks for your kind words concerning the RR, glad you enjoyed reading it.

Whilst on the USA tour I only used two wheel drive twice as it was for the most part a paved road ride. I used it once in Arizona when foolishly following the GPS into a very bad DEEP SAND washed out road, and again in the northeast when doing something stupid like driving the rig over huge rocks along a river side. Both of those episodes could have been easily avoided. However whilst doing my usual type of Ural riding, mountain logging roads, SNOW, mud, ruts other types of nasty stuff I probably use the two wheel drive about 5% of the time, sometimes for only a few yards, sometimes for a few miles it all depends on the terrain and road-trail conditions. For my use two wheel drive is a MUST HAVE, I don't need it often but when I need it, I NEED it.

As to the roll bars and seat belts, I have only seen a couple rigs with roll bars and seat belts, this is something that I really don't have any experience with so I honestly don't have an opinion one way or the other, do what YOU feel is best for you and your family.

Concerning the skid plate and left side crash-bar, I don't build the skid plate any more as the price of steel has gone up to the point where I can't afford to build it and still make a decent profit, the crash-bar I still build but to do so I have to build it on the rig, every Ural is a bit different and to ensure that the crash-bar fits perfectly I have to fit it to the individual rig.

Thanks for the invitation to visit, if I am in the area I'll do my best to contact you ahead of time so we can get a chance to meet.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #1084
Ed Teach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Howdy Mr. COB

Just finished reading your ride report. It's been a pleasure to read it and it has provided me a more accurate view of your country. Thank you very much.
I hope someday I could cross the pond and tour the USA
Ed Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #1085
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Teach View Post
Howdy Mr. COB

Just finished reading your ride report. It's been a pleasure to read it and it has provided me a more accurate view of your country. Thank you very much.
I hope someday I could cross the pond and tour the USA
Howdy Ed,

Thanks for reading the RR I am glad you enjoyed it. I had hoped that reading the RR would give those across the pond a different view of the USA then what they get in the newspapers and on the TV, my recent trip to the UK, France and Belgium sure opened my eyes about Europe and the folks who live there. If you should make to my side of the pond and find yourself in the Great Nor-Wet, do try to make contact.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #1086
crxandwagovan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Just WOW!

Took me two days but i finally finished reading your trip, all i can say is wow you did what most of us dream of doing i hope one day i can do it and have as much fun as you.
crxandwagovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #1087
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxandwagovan View Post
Took me two days but i finally finished reading your trip, all i can say is wow you did what most of us dream of doing i hope one day i can do it and have as much fun as you.
Howdy crxandwagovan,

Welcome to ADV-Rider, thanks for your kind words concerning the RR.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #1088
racer23
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Mr Cob's ride

bump
racer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #1089
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer23 View Post
bump
Howdy racer23,

Welcome to Adv-Rider, thanks for the bump, hope you enjoyed the ride report.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #1090
racer23
n00b

Oddometer: 3
New Patrol

Just want you to know your RR is still selling new rigs for Ural. Based on you RR I decided the newer bikes were reliable enough to give 3 wheeling a try. I bought a 2011 orange Patrol.
racer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #1091
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,371
Mr. Cob,

Just wanted to say I've heard mention of you a few times and didn't know who you are, even though I've been on the forum for a while. I just kept seeing a reference to Mr. Cob (I guess it was because of the types of threads I was reading off and on). I noticed this thread bumped to the top and started reading, and reading, and reading. A few days later I was on page...I don't know, but I'm here, now, posting. To get to the point, wow. This is the kind of thread I come here to read. This is the reason I've considered a hack/Ural. This is the reason my brother has been making a point of going to the local Ural dealer to check them out, over and over. So I want to say thanks for a very well thought out ride report. It definitely promotes the brand and brings new riders into the fold.

On a side note, how long have you been in Granite Falls? You're obviously younger than my father, but he graduated from Granite Falls High School in 1950. Do you know any of the OLD timers there (people that have been there 50 years)?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #1092
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer23 View Post
Just want you to know your RR is still selling new rigs for Ural. Based on you RR I decided the newer bikes were reliable enough to give 3 wheeling a try. I bought a 2011 orange Patrol.
Howdy racer23,

Thanks for your post and WELCOME to the wacky wonderful world of Ural's.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #1093
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Mr. Cob,

Just wanted to say I've heard mention of you a few times and didn't know who you are, even though I've been on the forum for a while. I just kept seeing a reference to Mr. Cob (I guess it was because of the types of threads I was reading off and on). I noticed this thread bumped to the top and started reading, and reading, and reading. A few days later I was on page...I don't know, but I'm here, now, posting. To get to the point, wow. This is the kind of thread I come here to read. This is the reason I've considered a hack/Ural. This is the reason my brother has been making a point of going to the local Ural dealer to check them out, over and over. So I want to say thanks for a very well thought out ride report. It definitely promotes the brand and brings new riders into the fold.

On a side note, how long have you been in Granite Falls? You're obviously younger than my father, but he graduated from Granite Falls High School in 1950. Do you know any of the OLD timers there (people that have been there 50 years)?
Howdy acesandeights,

Thanks for your post to this thread, I am glad you have enjoyed the ride report as I sure had a great time doing the ride that inspired it. If you get a Ural I am sure you'll be well pleased with it, there are NOT fast, they are FUN.