User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,517
Rally Training USA - lotsa big photos

Here are some Google Earth photos from our newest rally training route.

This one is Dumont-to-Vegas, covering 450km (over 400km of "Special"), with 366 navigation points on a 50ft long roadbook roll.

There's some awesome terrain out there! Who wants to ride this cool stuff, and learn Dakar style navigation?

HARDCORE ! ! !

HogWild screwed with this post 06-22-2008 at 04:30 PM
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,894
wow that looks like the

Rallye Du Mars

wish I was over your way
Old 06-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg
Rallye Du Mars
We did that one a few years ago. It was a BLAST just getting there!
Old 06-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Santa
Focused on the Future

Oddometer: 1,387
I have been watching you guys for a while now and I am interested.
When and how much $?
Is this possible for the unsupported rider?
What about fuel? I have approx a 280KM range.
What instrumentation should one have on board?
Roadbook in KM or miles?
Thx.
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa
I have been watching you guys for a while now and I am interested. When and how much $? Is this possible for the unsupported rider? What about fuel? I have approx a 280KM range. What instrumentation should one have on board? Roadbook in KM or miles? Thx.
These days I mostly just make up routes and create roadbooks. You should talk to Charlie about the training part and getting your wheels dirty.

Regarding some of the other questions . . .

Generally for my roadbooks you need 100 miles or slightly more gas range. But sometimes there's no gas station at the "pit" point, so you have to have crew (or possibly mooch a gas can into someone else’s truck). It depends on which roadbook you're following, and what kind of group you're doing this with. If you have your own crew, and they are sharp, you can get away with shorter gas range by having them meet you at intermediate points.

Instrumentation: A top quality odometer that can be incremented and decremented is pretty much mandatory (ICO, IMO, or similar are best). Navigating by roadbook is all about the mileage, and keeping your odometer synchronized with the roadbook numbers. Second, obviously you need the roadbook holder. These roadbooks are the 6 inch wide rally type, so you need an MD, Touratech, or similar unit. Third, you’ll want a GPS that displays your heading in numeric format. You need that because sometimes you have to head off in a particular direction, and the roadbook indicates that in numeric format (0 to 359 degrees). The first photo in this thread is pretty much the exact view you have when you leave the bivouac on the Dumont-Vegas route. There is no road at that point, so you have to head off across the dunes following only your GPS heading. We generally don’t supply a GPS track, because you’re supposed to be learning ROADBOOK navigation. The GPS should be mounted on your dash, not in your pocket, otherwise you have to ride across those dunes with one hand on the throttle, and one hand holding the GPS while you watch the heading number.

It’s up to you, but now that I have a SPOT tracker, I carry it with me on every ride. These routes go way out in the middle of nowhere, well beyond cell coverage, to locations you may not see another human for days or longer. And anytime near summer, you may not survive more than a day out there if you were stranded. Plus, every person I know of who has ridden these roadbook routes has gotten lost out there at one time or another. I strongly recommend carrying a SPOT or a Sat phone for your own safety.

My roadbooks are setup so I can print them in miles or kilometers. I print them one at a time, so it’s not a big deal to supply whatever is needed.

HogWild screwed with this post 06-21-2008 at 07:21 PM
Old 06-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
DaveRMS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild
Who wants to ride this cool stuff, and learn Dakar style navigation?
Hey Scott,
You are the route king! Looks like another great one. I can't wait to ride it!
Dave
Old 06-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
Santa
Focused on the Future

Oddometer: 1,387
thanks scott.
Looks like all I need is a roadbook to be set.
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
We have a bunch of MD roadbooks in stock now, and brackets for mounting them. Or, check out MX1West.com for the Acerbis manual roadbook. The manual one is cheaper, but most people eventually get an electric one if they do this a lot.

fun fun
Charlie
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
WONB2K
The Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 292
Scott, are these new sections still in the planning stages or have they been ridden? Are you using any of the old route where you ran us East of the freeway?

The uphill ridgeback with off camber turns looks like a handfull...HARDCORE for sure!

Jim
Attached Images

WONB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WONB2K
Scott, are these new sections still in the planning stages or have they been ridden? Are you using any of the old route where you ran us East of the freeway?The uphill ridgeback with off camber turns looks like a handfull...HARDCORE for sure! Jim
Jim, the Dumont-to-Vegas route shown in the photos and the return (Vegas-to-Dumont, not shown) are all new except a few small pieces, such as the segment just leaving and entering Dumont, a small segment coming into Primm, and crossing the freeway at Cima Rd to the gas station that's right there near the freeway. I do my best to stay away from all the previous routes. And I'm doing my best to find stuff that is rarely seen by anyone, while staying out of closed wilderness. This route doesn't go way South-East of I-15 like the Primmo route did.

Regarding the "still planning" question, YES and NO. The Vegas-Dumont route has been ridden by a very select few. So it's a proven and completed route, and the roadbook is 100% done. For the Dumont-Vegas route, I've laid it all out, measured all the mileages between navigation points, captured all the headings at every point, and got that all into a roadbook (still missing tulip drawings and French stuff). So that route is already "planned". BUT, we haven't ridden any of it yet. Once I get the tulip drawings done, we'll be ready to prerun it. While prerunning, we always run into issues like locked gates and other closures. When we hit that stuff we have to find a way around and try to hook back up with the remainder of the route. Once prerunning is done, I go back and change the roadbook to match the work arounds we found. Then I consider it done and ready for others to ride. I don't know when we'll prerun the Dumont-Vegas route, though it might happen right in the middle of summer so we can get the most enjoyment out of the desert sun!

That uphill ridgeback surely isn't exactly as the photo shows. Google Earth doesn't show perfect topo data, so things generally get a bit overly "smoothed" over. Other than the smoothing distortion, it should look pretty much just like the photo!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #11
WONB2K
The Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 292
I know how much work goes into these projects and nobody does it better. I may have to dust off the roadbook and join you on another adventure.....if you change "middle of summer" to "early fall", you sadistic SOB!

Jim
WONB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #12
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,946
Im up......... just let me know.....need to learn to use the TT sittin in the box in the garage
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #13
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,579

Now this is just plain cool!
Old 06-28-2008, 08:45 AM   #14
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild
Who wants to ride this cool stuff, and learn Dakar style navigation?
I do.

When's the pre-run, Scott!

fun fun
Charlie
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #15
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WONB2K
I may have to dust off the roadbook and join you on another adventure.....if you change "middle of summer" to "early fall", you sadistic SOB! Jim
Pre-run may be mid-summer, but training will more likely be in September or October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig
Now this is just plain cool!
Yea, I love it when the roadbook goes into the mountains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace
I do. When's the pre-run, Scott! fun fun Charlie
No date for the pre-run yet. My bike is in the shop for repairs, having new forks built. Bummer, because the forecast for Death Valley on Monday is 120 degrees! We might have to settle for only 113 degrees in August.
Attached Images