User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
grubbie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
XT250 vs. CRF250L

Hi folks, new here. Found this site while looking for info on these two bikes. I was looking for a small bike to ride back and forth to work, to town, etc.....but also a bike that I could use on the ranch when needed as well. We use bikes as horses here for herding cows, fencing, whatever. Well, I test drove both bikes, and here are the opinions of an average joe who doesn't know a lot about bikes other than riding them. I have always been a Honda guy and always wanted a CRF, so I was already biased. Rode the Honda, liked it, but noticed the vibration was pretty heavy while on the highway. Of course, it's not exactly a street bike, so I let it slide. I took it up to 60 mph, hit a small hill and dropped to 50. It just didn't have much power at highway speed. It didn't seem to have the power that my 93 XR250 has. Other than that, it didn't feel a whole lot different than my old XR. It did very well and felt good off-road though. Now the Yamaha. Almost from the minute I left the dealership I knew I was in trouble,......I was never going to own my dream bike, the CRF. The XT250 will hold 75mph uphill in a headwind. Better suspension, WAY better brakes, and a smoother ride. Has more power in every gear. I ride this bike on the highway every day and it cruises nicely at 65mph. Haven't used it off road other than the test ride cause I still have the XR for ranchwork, but still have the XT on deck if I need it. There was really no comparison, a sweet ride. I am a bit disappointed that Honda didn't step up to the plate and put a little more CRF into the CRF230L. Just my opinions.
grubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
grubbie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Bill
I have a XT225 and could not be happier with it. Un-cork that engine and you will find a ton of hidden power. Good luck with it.
Not much good at the tech stuff, but I am pretty handy with some instruction. Would love to know a trick or two to "uncork" it.
grubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
Nick250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Bill
Ask and you shall receive.

Exhaust mod illustrated - LINK

Here is the jetting recommendation from the same website:

If you have not opened up the stock muffler with the Z1 mod, I would go up to a #42.5 pilot and turn the fuel screw out 3 turns. This works for me. Since I did the Z1 pipe mod, I also went to a #130 main jet. The stock #125 may be fine with out the pipe mod. The pilot circuit needs richening to facilitate starting and warm-up time.
Bill I read through the link. Do you know if anyone has tried this on an XT250 as contrasted with the XT225?

Old Rides:'77 Kawa KZ650, '79 Yamaha IT175, '79 Suz GS1000, '80 Suz PE175, '82 Honda XR200, '83 Honda 750 Interceptor, '84 Husky WR250, '86 Husky WR250, '87 Husky WR400.
Nick250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
vntgmx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Glad it worked out for you but I wouldn't trade my CRF230L for anything.I use it for 95% offroad and it's a blast.
vntgmx is offline   Reply With Quote