Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 04:07 AM   #1096
thecanoeguy
just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer: 1,843
stick with stock kawasaki sprockets ,they are the best ,,Chain ,you probably went cheap last time ,dont go cheap ,get a good D.I.D, O ring ,pay peanuts, you get monkeys
thecanoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #1097
sturleyau
Monarch 42

Oddometer: 202
Sprocket Ratios

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonlec View Post
im in need of replacing my drive train what ive got on there allways come loose after adjustment and when im doing 120 im sitting on 5500rpm which i think is to high

after a short run up to swan hill thurs night from goolwa i was all lubed up and adjusted with in the first full stop at pinnaroo my chain was looking a little loose buy the time i got back and turn on to my street she came off

what spockets do u guy recomend as im just a tourer not looking to flog it through sand and what sort of chain

all with in a buget

cheers shaggs
Hi Shaggs,
Standard is 15 Front and 43 Rear on most KLRs. I ran 14 Front and 42 Rear for the last 2 years and found it good but with the slight change to the standard there is very little difference. Maybe a slight fuel consumption improvement.
14/42 is 3:1 and 15/43 is 2.866. The higher ratio means more revs at the same speed.
I will stick with the standard for the moment.
Cheers
Glenn
Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #1098
Turborob
Minimalist.

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonlec View Post
im in need of replacing my drive train what ive got on there allways come loose after adjustment and when im doing 120 im sitting on 5500rpm which i think is to high

after a short run up to swan hill thurs night from goolwa i was all lubed up and adjusted with in the first full stop at pinnaroo my chain was looking a little loose buy the time i got back and turn on to my street she came off

what spockets do u guy recomend as im just a tourer not looking to flog it through sand and what sort of chain

all with in a buget

cheers shaggs
I got a cheap set, and it only lasted 10k.

Then, I got another cheap set from RMATV (Primary Drive brand). It's less than $100 for the lot, and I haven't adjusted it in 20000k . Still going strong, and hardly ever gets a lube.

The best rider is the one who enjoys it most.
Turborob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:05 AM   #1099
KLR 650 guy
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Oddometer: 450
If you just runnin Hiway then go for a higher gearin .. Im runnin 16/42 at moment around here but when im bout to travel some distance i will go for the 16/40 which has droped my RPM by 500 RPM but i want a 1,000 when i start travelin Hiway to Darwin or Swan Hill to see famaily from Esperance WA... But im runnin a Rekulse clutch aswell in my setup which is part semi-automatic .....

Now check out ( www.gearingcommander.com/base/gc_getstarted.htm )

KLR 650 guy screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 02:50 AM
KLR 650 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #1100
Wasca
Adventurized!

Oddometer: 566
New KLR Owner

Hi Guys

I'm really new to motorcycles and my first purchase is a 2013 KLR650. I want to do my own oil change and have watched a few instructional videos on how to do it, but I have a few more questions and was hoping some one could clue me up.

1. What oil should I use?
2. Are you meant to change the oil filter each time you change the oil?
3. When do you replace the sump plug screw/washer?

Thanks for your assistance.

Wasca

Wasca screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 02:51 AM
Wasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #1101
Muruk59
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Question Re New KLR owner

In answer to your questions, the manual (as you have most likely read) states a 6000 km service interval after the first service that is, I do an in between oil change and keep the oil filter. The filter is changed on the 6000km service.
The oil plug and crushable washer has never been changed as I only do it up tight enough not to come undone and it doesn't leak.
As to type of oil to use, you can use a wide variety of brands just keep to the correct viscosity and dont use anything with friction modifiers as that plays havoc with the clutch which relies on friction. A lot of people with large bore single cylinder engines try the diesel oils I haven't tried those as yet and personally prefer the mineral based oils not the synthetics but that is personal choice.
Apparently the oils with long chain polymers are not the best choice for engines with old fashioned ball bearing type bearings AKA KLRs as it gets broken down pretty quickly.
I hope this helps and I am sure others will chip in with advice.
Muruk59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #1102
colm
Hopefull

Oddometer: 128
KLR650 Fork Springs

What is the general opinion of fellow KLR riders on repacement fork springs.
Mine has now completed 22,000km and is starting to bottom out more than usual.
Any comment.would be appreciated.

At the moment, am looking at IKON progressive springs @ $165.

Col
colm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #1103
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by colm View Post

Col
Well when I am in all of my ATGATT I weigh in around 138 kg. On my 07 KLR, I changed my fork springs to Ohlins and added a Top Gun heavy duty spring to the rear. Rode it at maximum take off weight, loaded to the gunwhale to Birdsville. No bottoming of the front (or rear) at all. Transformed the bike.... No more severe fork dive under hard braking.

Go for it!

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #1104
SMIFDOG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Safari Tank

Hi Everyone,
I just bought a new Safari Tank for my 2011 KLR650 and was wondering if many of you have one, Any feed back so far?
I have had a few issues so far re fittment, I was told it would fit with my Motech crashbars and I can confirm i does NOT. The tank is fantastic but the mounting kit leaves a bit to be desired. Im having a fabricator make a new bracket for me as the one from Safari is not a great design. The fabricator is supprised they made it the way the did!!!!
I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on how it will effect the handling of the bike when full? I have only had about 10L in it so far when i rode it to the fabricator and it doesnt feel any different as far as size goes so im hoping it wont be much different when full as well
SMIFDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #1105
thecanoeguy
just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer: 1,843
make sure you tell robin at safari, as he is interested in feedback,shouldn't be any drama once on the bike ,maybe some better fork springs at some stag would be the go
thecanoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #1106
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIFDOG View Post
Hi Everyone,
I just bought a new Safari Tank for my 2011 KLR650 and was wondering if many of you have one, Any feed back so far?
I have had a few issues so far re fittment, I was told it would fit with my Motech crashbars and I can confirm i does NOT. The tank is fantastic but the mounting kit leaves a bit to be desired. Im having a fabricator make a new bracket for me as the one from Safari is not a great design. The fabricator is supprised they made it the way the did!!!!
I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on how it will effect the handling of the bike when full? I have only had about 10L in it so far when i rode it to the fabricator and it doesnt feel any different as far as size goes so im hoping it wont be much different when full as well
Motech crash bars are scrap after fitting the Safari tank. Sold mine for approx. $150
I agree the spreader bar between the lower cheeks leaves a lot to be desired. It was probably all good until the addition of the foam/rubber packing stuff
Laser cutting of all mounting hardware/brackets leaves very sharp edges that will leave blood all over your workshop floor if not removed ASAP
After the first 1500km I am happy with the purchase but as you said it could be a lot better out of the box

PS and range is approx. 800km give or take

Glen
Old 12-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #1107
Maccaoz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by colm View Post

Col
I have had IKON progressive in for about 30,000km,add the Ricor Intiminators and the front end is as sorted as its going to get.Ricor shock on the back and life gets even better
Maccaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #1108
Maccaoz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasca View Post
Hi Guys

I'm really new to motorcycles and my first purchase is a 2013 KLR650. I want to do my own oil change and have watched a few instructional videos on how to do it, but I have a few more questions and was hoping some one could clue me up.

1. What oil should I use?
2. Are you meant to change the oil filter each time you change the oil?
3. When do you replace the sump plug screw/washer?

Thanks for your assistance.

Wasca
Oils and KLRs You had better check www.klr650.net for all the conflicting advice

I use Penrite 10w-50 Semi Synthetic with a filter/oil change every 3,000km.About 45,000 up a not a problem.
I tried Rimula X diesel oil once,the KLR drank it-- 2.5 lt in about 900 km.
Never change the washer.
Maccaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #1109
SMIFDOG
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecanoeguy View Post
make sure you tell robin at safari, as he is interested in feedback,shouldn't be any drama once on the bike ,maybe some better fork springs at some stag would be the go
Hi Canoeguy, Yeah I have been wondering about front fork at a later date but dont plan on running the tank full often unless on a long run (birdsville trip in the new year hopefully) so hoping the stock forks will be fine for a while. I have been back and forth to Safari since I got the tank as nothing has lined up and the front cross bracket just doesnt fit for me. I was just very dissapionted from the start when i was told it would fit with my crashbars only not too and then have nothing line up to the piont i now have to get a fabricator to make a bracket that will fit. In saying all that the tank is good, just seems a couple small changes could change this from being a great tank into an awesome set up.
As it is i wouldnt recomend it to anyone unless you really need it. You can buy a 12L bladder for less than $200 or a small jerry for less than $20. I just didnt want to carry fuel in a container anymore.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #1110
SMIFDOG
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxsmith View Post
Motech crash bars are scrap after fitting the Safari tank. Sold mine for approx. $150
I agree the spreader bar between the lower cheeks leaves a lot to be desired. It was probably all good until the addition of the foam/rubber packing stuff
Laser cutting of all mounting hardware/brackets leaves very sharp edges that will leave blood all over your workshop floor if not removed ASAP
After the first 1500km I am happy with the purchase but as you said it could be a lot better out of the box

PS and range is approx. 800km give or take

Glen
Hi Loxsmith,

Thanks for the feed back, I couldnt find alot of info on the tank before hand and just went for it. 800k range is unbelievable i was going to be happy if i got 550k+. I want to do a trip to birdsville in the new year and last big trip i did i just didnt like A) the extra weight hanging on the back making the front light and B) carrying fuel externally has never sat comfotable with me even though i have never had a problem.
Turns out i also have a set of crashbars that need to find a new home.
I have been very supprised with the difficuly in fitting after all its only a tank.
Once the fabricator finishes the bracket i cant see any issue for the life of the tank so i will finally get to the end result i wanted. Just really wanted it to fit with the crash bars aswell then it would have been a awesome set up.