Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
vwone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Three ABR Riders head west, 5800 miles and 15 states in 11 days!

The greatest trip of my life!

Background

The three of us, pictured here, ride with the ABR Riders (Alfís Bar Run Riders). This is a great group of riders with a great motto, ďShut up and RIDE!Ē I originally met one of the club members, Tony, on NC 80 one day a couple of years ago heading toward the Blue Ridge Parkway and he invited me to ride with the club. I must say riding with these guys is an honor and a blast!
So, at the last ABR ride Tony happened to mention to me that Cecil wanted to take a trip and head out west and immediately I thought Ė Oh Wow! So have I. Tony had been out West many times and after some discussion he quickly put together a basic plan for us to think about. After we talked about the different possible routes, Tony took the basic plan home and created a great route based on his past rides and planned the destinations so that we would get the most out of our trip.

This is a pic that Cecil emailed me about a month before, I think he was ready!

The Plan

We were to ride eleven days (that is all the vacation I had) and visit the Badlands, Sturgis, Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, The Grand Tetonís, Pikes Peak and spend some time in Colorado. To be honest, when I first read the plan I was a little freaked out. I had never been outside of the southeast on a motorcycle and I have never spent more than five days straight on a bike before.
You will soon find out that not only did we visit all of those destinations that we had discussed, but Tony had failed to mention that we would also be visiting The Moab, Four Corners, The Million Dollar Highway, Chief Joseph Highway, The Smoky Mountain National Park, Arches National Park, Mesa Verde National Park, not to mention a few yet unnamed mountain passes.
Letís just say that Cecil and I were in for a few surprises!

My Bike, the Buell XB12XT

I love my bike but I knew it was not setup for a trip like this. Fortunately, I had already been experimenting with the new Michelin Road Pilot Three tires and I was getting some great millage out of them. So a new set was ordered and filled with tire sealant. Next, I ordered a $20 throttle lock and setup my IPhone with a Ram mount. Five thousand miles before this the Buell received a new belt, new wheel bearings and new brakes and the bike was already outfitted with an adjustable windshield, GPS and wiring for my electric gear. I also had a Scala Rider G4 that would be supplying music for those long stretches.

Day 1
818 miles
Temp 65-85 degrees

On day one of the trip, I was up at 5am and on the road by 5:30am and the goal was to meet up with Cecil and Tony in Forest City, NC by 7am. Forest City is about 50 miles from Charlotte. It was a cool morning and I had my liners in and I am not going to lie, I was a little nervous that morning. The goal was to ride to Kansas City Missouri by that night and that was ~1000 miles! The most I had ever done in one day was 500 miles from Charlotte NC to WV riding nothing but back roads.
Well, it was a nice surprise to pull up and eat breakfast with the guys and their families before setting out. I think I calmed down a little after that.

That first day went quick and the states were rolling by fast. Of course our adrenaline was pretty high, it being the first day of this great trip. Tonyís Goldwing was definitely the bike of that day. That bike can put down the miles. However, Cecilís GS and my Buell were doing great and by the end of that day, I had discovered how nice it was to have a throttle lock! This was also a trial run for me to see if I could do a Saddle Sore 1000 and I have no doubt I could easily do it. As we traveled west and the sun started to set it was a great end to a great day of riding! I had never seen that part of the country and riding into the sunset was a great way to end the day. We did not make it to Kansas City because we ran out of daylight, but that was fine with me. I was feeling great and that Saddle Sore 1000 could definitely have been done. We finished the night outside Columbia, Missouri at a Motel 6.
vwone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Longbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Very Cool, I'M IN FOR THIS ONE!
Longbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
vwone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2

Day 2
741 miles
Temps 70-90 degrees

The second day of this trip was going to be another great day with a new element, WIND!
One thing I was previously unaware of is how the wind blows in this part of the country. Wow! I was not expecting that. The wind was relentless and it was there to stay. It picked up a lot when we turned north for Omaha but when we turned west it felt like it was blowing twice as hard. It was interesting because I had been in some stronger wind gusts riding the Blue Ridge Parkway but I had never before ridden leaned over to one side for so many miles at a time. But other than that it was a great day! I got to see three new states - Nebraska, Iowa and South Dakota.

Every motorcycle trip should include ice cream!

As we turned west in South Dakota this beast pulled into one of our gas stops. That is one big piece of farm equipment.

Once, while in South Dakota, we met a local rancher and I asked him how much land he had. He answered 8000 acres!!!! Huh??? My dream was to own five acres and this gentleman had 8000, but it sounded like that wasn't too uncommon in those parts!

We rode on and the wind finally died down as the rancher had predicted. We got to ride into the sunset in this beautiful state. For a while, I was by myself with nothing in front of or behind me. It was just me, the bike and the rolling hills of South Dakota. I wasnít hot or cold and the bike really started to feel like home. If I remember correctly I had some Outlaw country in the headset and it just added to the moment. I wish I could have pressed pause that evening because I could have ridden for hours like that.

We finally found ourselves at our first KOA of the trip right outside the Badlands. We had our tents setup in just a few minutes and we got to finally see the sun go down.

The rest of the evening was spent laughing and swapping motorcycle stories. What a day!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
vwone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3

Day 3
364 miles
Temps 30-95 degrees

The third day was going to be another big mileage day with some site seeing thrown in, but we had weather coming our way. As we started out that morning it was great to wake up to the South Dakota sun rise. The wind hadnít started yet and it was peaceful and quiet out there. This was the first morning that it seemed like the sun had come up around 5:30 in the morning. I think this was also Cecilís first night ever camping out in a tent and it was obvious he was hooked!

The first stop we made that day was at a small place that had a restaurant inside one car of a train. We had a quick breakfast and when we left there, we headed to the next destination on our list, the Badlands.

We stopped for fuel and bumped into a guy from Canada on a Vstrom 1000, he had nothing but good things to say about the roads we were about to ride!

The Badlands were very cool! We stopped a couple of times to see some local wildlife and just look at the beauty of the area. It was beautiful.

Next stop,we went into Wallís Drug store. We had been seeing handmade billboards all day while we were riding advertising the store, so we had to stop. The store had been open since 1931, and the local town had built up around it. It was neat to see but we didn't spend a lot of time to looking around because we were headed to our next destination! We suited up and headed west to Mt Rushmore!

As we left Mt Rushmore, we headed toward route 16A and this was a fantastic road! One of the first things we ran across was a log bridge that turned back on its self. This basically allows the road to cork screw up the mountain. If you ride this road just be careful because this is an open range road and we did run across live stock in the road.

We kept going and landed next in Sturgis SD and letís just say that there is not a lot going on in Sturgis outside of bike week! I should have figured that out when I ask the guys about driving through and they said ďYou can ride through and we will follow you, just stop when you want.Ē Well, I guess that was the joke because there was nowhere to really to stop!

So we rode through there and then headed west. Within just a few minutes I started to notice the clouds and the wind picking up. Somehow I had ended up in the lead on this stretch and I didnít have a good feel as to when to stop, so I just plowed ahead. Within just a few minutes the temp had dropped 30 degrees. The wind was blowing so hard that I just got as small as I could behind my windshield and held on. After a good while, Cecil passed me by and pulled over at the next available stop so we could switch out our gear. The wind was blowing so hard I thought it was going to blow over the bikes. As we were switching our regular gear out for electric gear, I noticed Cecil was standing on the side of the road in his underwear. That was just funny to see because we were standing on the side of the interstate and Cecil had no issues at all with being stripped down. We got suited up and kept going and that night we made it to Gillette Wyoming. We stopped here because we had run out of day light and the storm was on top of us.

Group shot

Old 09-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
vwone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4

Temps 30-95 (white out conditions)
Wind 30-40 mph
Miles 348

So day four was here and we were still going strong! We had had a bad weather the previous night coming into Gillett but we just laughed about it and couldnít wait to get going again. The plan was to go over Bear Tooth Pass and get somewhere close to Yellowstone, but as we found out, the weather was going to play a role in that.

As we headed out that morning we ran into a guy on a BMW 1200GS with the same story as ours, near Gillett it had just become too dangerous and luckily he found a church that the locals told him he could stay in. When he got to the church, the doors were just blowing in the wind, so he closed everything up and stayed there for the night. I think all of us were a little relieved to be in sun light with light winds that morning after the experiences of the previous evening!

We headed west and the next thing we saw was snow capped mountains. I donít know about the rest of the guys, but I was about ready to pin the throttle and just get there. I loved seeing those mountains and couldn't wait to get there!

So we pulled off the interstate and started heading toward those mountains and before I knew it we were starting to climb. I think the elevation for this mountain pass was ~9400 feet and I couldnít get up there fast enough! I also like riding bicycles and one of my favorite things to do is climb hills, so I guess I like to do the same on the motorcycle. It was a breathtaking site to look back at the plains we had just rode through. We kept climbing higher and as we were nearing the top, the snow started piling up on the sides of the road. I was in heaven with the snow, the altitude, the views and most importantly, I was doing it all on the Buell!

We kept going and I started to notice the wind was really picking up and then the snow started to blow with it. Then, before I could do a thing, Cecil disappeared into the white! I thought- "oh crap here we go, this is going to get crazy!" Then finally, on occasion, I was able to see his taillight for few seconds, but then it would disappear again! I couldnít believe we were in a whiteout condition! Here it was almost summer time and I'd had my electrics off and on for two days! Well, that was just the start because then I saw the road turn white. Yes it went white! Crap! I was starting to freak out a little bit. I could barely see Cecil in front of me and I couldnít stop because I was in a couple of inches of snow with a good layer of packed ice below it. If I stopped I would most likely drop the bike and I didnít know if I could get it up to get going again in those conditions! But then, after I calmed down and just rode for a minuet or so I really started to enjoy it. I just kept steady on the throttle and didnít do anything crazy. The only thing that was nerve racking was the wind blowing, every once in a while a good gust would come along and push the bike around but that wasnít a big deal once I got used to it. After a while, we started to drop a little in altitude and Cecil reappeared again. The weather went away as quickly as it had appeared! Crazy!

After that, we started dropping out of the sky. It was a 10% grade and we were going down fast. A few great curves later we were shooting across this huge valley with the temps near a hundred and the speeds about the same! We had to stop and laugh. Not 30 minuets ago we were in a whiteout condition and now we were burning up and flying across a desert type environment! Like I said...Crazy!

The pass that we just went over.

We made it to Lovell Wyoming a while later, and stopped there at a local restaurant. There we discussed Bear Tooth Pass and how we were going to try to make it up there. We had heard the day before that they were going to get 6Ē of snow but we were hoping the road would be clear. So, after eating, we headed North West to Red Lodge and the Pass only to find out that the pass was in fact closed. So the backup plan was to ride across Chief Joseph Highway and try to make it closer to Yellowstone.

As we headed towards CJH, we ran south beside a mountain range that was just amazing. We ran along side those mountains for over an hour and I was just mesmerized. At one point I looked ahead of me and saw Cecil riding with his arms spread out as for as he could get them. I felt the same way, it was an incredible site and I was in no hurry to see it go away. We made it to the beginning of the CJH and saw that we had weather on the way. What I should say is we had some seriously dark clouds and cold temps creeping up on us!

As we started to go up the first mountain pass, we stopped to plug in the electrics again. This was a scenic overlook and the wind was howling but everyone had a smile on their faces. As with most scenic overlooks, there is a drop off on the other side of the guard rail and it was a decent drop off. The wind was blowing and as Cecil was trying to get suited up, his gloves blew off the bike and went flying across the guard rail! Tony said ďI thought for sure those were gone.Ē Well, you see it was cold and those electric gloves arenít cheap to begin with and they had a lot more value added to them due to the current weather conditions. I guess we underestimated Cecil because the next thing we saw was Cecil clearing the guardrail like it wasnít even there! He was going to get those gloves! So before Tony or I could say a thing or try to help, Cecil was back across the guard rail with gloves in hand. I am glad he got them back, but I will say it was funny watching him jump that guardrail like that!

So we headed out again and the weather kicked in. It started off as rain but by the time we got to the other side of the pass it was sleet. At this point I didnít know what the other guys were thinking but I was ready for a hot shower, some hot food and a hotel room. I canít explain it except to say that maybe God was looking out for us but this would be a reccurring theme on this trip. It seemed that every time we needed something it was always right there. And sure enough, out there in the middle of no where we rode into Cooke City Montana and then Tony was making a dead right hand turn into a Super 8. Yes, there was a Super 8 in the middle of nowhere. Wow, I couldnít believe it. This little town had it all, great scenery, a warm room, a couple of good restaurants and did I mention - a warm room? We spent the evening at a local restaurant talking to some full time RVíers. We were just as interested in them as they were in us. I guess we all were doing the same type of thing, seeing this great country of ours in an unusual way. Day 4 was a great day!

Another group shot,

Old 09-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
Tony Collins
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Trip

Great ride report with commentary and pics. Almost feel like I was right there with you fellas. Oh yea, I was.
Tony Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
vwone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Tony, good to see you on here. It looks like that was your first post on ADV, welcome to the Asylum!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
vwone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 5

Day 5
Temps 50-90
Wind was low
Miles 315

So there we were at day five. We had a big day ahead of us that included Yellowstone, The Grand Tetons, Jackson (Jackson Hole) and Idaho (another new state). We headed out of Cooke City and headed for the north western entrance to Yellowstone. I will have to say that this place is jaw dropping beautiful. It is everything you could ask for- waterfalls, rivers, huge mountains, vast valleys, all sorts of animals and great views.

However, there seems to be one huge problem with this park and we were adding to it. The tourist. The tourist traffic wrecks what is a great place to see and visit. In one way I really felt like I was out in the wild but then when you look around and you have 200 other people standing around you trying to see the same view, you start to lose the effect.

I am thankful to say I have visited the park, but it was a little too crowded for me. Now that I have had a chance to research Yellowstone, I have learned that hiking in Yellowstone is the way to go and just driving through it is not even touching the surface of what is offered there. So I will go back one day and do some hiking, I feel as if I most likely missed the most of what was there.

Well, what I felt I missed in Yellowstone was more than made up for at our next destination - The Grand Tetons. What a majestic view those are, wow what a site!

This was another hour long jaw dropping view. That is one thing about the east cost, most views only last a few moments as you pass by them but out here it seems to take sometimes an hour to ride past the view.

I had no idea these even existed! I had heard about them from Tony and other fellow ABR riders but I didnít expect this. I really canít explain it or put it into words but if you ever get a chance to ride by here, it is definitely worth seeing.

Next we continued south and headed for Jackson, aka Jackson Hole. The views there were great and there seemed to be plenty of land. We didn't see many homes near each other, if any, and it just seemed peaceful. On this trip, I had been curious to see if there was any place where I would feel like I would just pick up and move there the next day and south of Jackson was the first such place. I could see myself living there - what a great place to live and wake up to a view like that everyday. However I should mention that I was not there during the "winter". I might not be so excited about it after I was there for one.

As the sun started to set on Day 5, we next rode through Bridger National Forest and the very cool canyon there. As the sun was going down, the temps started to fall as well and like several other times on this trip, just at the right time, we found a KOA in the middle on no where! We couldnít ask for more, another full day of riding, some great views, riding with some great friends and a camp site in the perfect spot. We had our tents up in 20 minuets right beside a small stream and after a small gasoline fire starter incident that just about got me, we had the camp fire going!

Group shot of the day

Old 09-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
vwone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 6

Day 6
Temps: 60-100
Wind: almost nothing
Mileage 455

After a great night of sleeping by a small stream, we got up and got going. There was a little surprise for me and Cecil that day and it was called the Moab! But we had no idea about that for a while yet!

So we headed out and when we stopped at the first red light I noticed I had no turn signals! I nearly went into a panic because this was a long way from home to have a mechanical issue! The first thing I did was to start going down the list of possibilities. I first checked my voltage indicator and it was good, everything was lit up (GPS + Iphone), next I honked the horn, checked the high beam, checked the turn signals again and everything was good but the turn signals. So, when we pulled over for gas the next time, the scramble was on. I told the guys what was going on and I ripped off the camping gear, seat and fuse cover. First thing we discovered was that there was no separate fuse for the turn signals and that the fuse for that circuit was good. So I grabbed the Iphone and started searching badweatherbiker.com and found a post where a guy had the same problem and it was a ground wire that had vibrated apart at the grounding bolt. I had a funny feeling that was my issue but we still went over the bike to make sure I didnít have a bigger issue. Other than the bike looking like it had been through a war, we couldnít find any thing else wrong so we decided to keep going and I would just keep a close on eye on things. We didnít want to tear the bike apart and spend half a day trying to fix it.

I will admit that any mechanical issue makes the rest of the day nerve racking for me! That was really all I thought about while I was riding after that and I was expecting the bike to have other issues at any second.

Also, I guess I was starting to feel this trip a little bit and riding in the desert was kind of adding to it. Being a little dehydrated, hot and tired and freaking out over my bike not functioning correctly caused me to start counting the miles. That really sucked, because after that I started second guessing the bike, myself and the trip. Years ago I had read a book called Motorcycle Touring: Everything you Need to Know by Dr. Gregory Frazier; in it he described where the rider would get to a point where the he or she was more comfortable on the bike than off of it. I was at that point, not because I was comfortable but instead because I knew the bike was running while it was running. Because of that mechanical issue, every time I turned it off, I was just hoping it would start again.

As all of this was going on in my head, we were still just heading further south into more desert and I was hot, literally and figuratively. As we turned off the interstate we made a left turn into seemingly nowhere. Now, I hadnít questioned anything on this trip or the route but that left turn had me wondering. All I could think about was mechanical issues and if I broke down out there, what would we do? There hadnít been a thing in sight for an hour, the sun was setting and who knew how we would get home if anything happened.

Then, out of nowhere, this fantastic valley appeared and immediately I forgot all about mechanical issues and all that could go wrong!

I had never seen anything like this and I was once again jaw dropped. Seeing that red sun light bouncing off of those red rocks and the shadows it created was just fantastic.

Ever since I started riding with friends, I have always let out some kind of football type of yell, for lack of a better term, anytime we rode a great road or saw something epic. So all through this trip about once a day I would rip off my helmet and give the old football yell when we saw something great. Well, Tony would give me a kind of crazy look and Cecil would just laugh and look at me about the same way when I did this. I guess they didnít know what to think about it. This was definitely one of those times and when we stopped for that first time in the Moab, I thought we were in the middle of nowhere and ripped that helmet off as fast as I could and gave the longest football yell I could! I was totally taken back by this little surprise destination and I was also letting off a little steam and "mechanical issue" stress. Tony had not mentioned anything about the Moab to us and after seeing it, I loved this place!

I am normally ATGATT, but riding through this valley was going to be great and I needed some air, so I strapped the helmet and jacket to the bike after that big yell and away we went...only to go about 200 yards to a park camp site with about a hundred rafting campers! I had to laugh at myself because I had thought I was out in the middle of nowhere, screaming like an idiot and here were at least a hundred people to witness it. Well, at least I will never forget my first look at the Moab. A half hour later the tents were up and the stars were out! I had never seen stars like this, I donít guess I had paid attention or I just hadnít been out far enough from city light to see them. And did I mention we were camped right beside the Colorado river? Yes, this was a great place to stay!

As for the turn signals and my mental state, after a good nights rest, and the fact the Buell fired right up again the next morning with everything checking out, I finally relaxed again. In reality, I had actually brought enough tools and electrical supplies to rebuild the Buell, plus probably two other bikes and Cecil and Tony were equipped the same way and would help me drag/push that bike back to North Carolina if needed. My Buell is also a very well serviced/cared for bike, so as those things all settled into my head, I knew I was going to be good. And once I was back home I found that loose ground wire and it was fixed in an hour or so!

Group shot of the day,

Old 09-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
vwone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 7

Day 7
Temps: 60-100
Wind: low
Mileage: 377

We woke up to another great view in the Moab and we were ready to get this day going. Our plan for Day 7 was to ride through Arches National Park, Four Corners and Mesa Verde National Park and we would finish the night in Durango Co.

The weather was just hot that day. It had started out cool when we left the Moab but that didnít last long and the heat turned on quickly.

Looking around before we left, it was easy to again think I was in the middle of nowhere! It was remote, for sure. We headed out of the Moab valley to start the day and I was thinking it would be a while before we got to eat. Well, we made a left hand turn and drove straight into Moab and once again, everything we needed was right there. The first thing we saw was a Dennyís and we found out they have a $2 menu. So basically for this great side trip into the Moab, it was $12 split three ways to camp out the previous night, and I had breakfast for $5 after a drink and tip. You really canít beat that. One of the reasons we did this trip with the three of us was because we agreed we would split rooms/campsites three ways. Looking back now, I have to say that was the way to go. This was one of the best, yet least expensive vacations I have ever had.

We got going and the next destination on our route was Arches National Park. This park reminded me of the Valley of Fire in Nevada, just a whole lot larger. We rode through the entire park and stopped at an over look on the way back. I could have stayed there for the rest of the day! On a side note, I also noticed that if you have a dual sport, it looked like there were several roads there to explore.

We continued to head south and the next stop was the Navajo Nation and Four Corners.

I must confess that on this trip there were only two places where I felt unsafe. Those two places were St. Louis, MO. and the Navajo Nation. Once we got to the Navajo Nation, we just had a good feeling that we were not really welcome there. As for the Four Corners, it was nice to see but I donít think I would go back there unless I just happened to be going by it. I am glad to say I have been there but that is about it. They did, however, have snow cones there for sale and believe me after a day of riding in heat like that, you will be thankful for one of those snow cones!

The next destination on the route was Mesa Verde National Park and if you had some time to explore and hike, I think this would be a great place to stop for a while. After riding all day though, I was ready for a shower and good dinner and so I don't think I was really giving this park a fair chance. There were some neat adobe homes to check out and some spectacular views as well.

On a mechanical note, as we were in a tunnel leaving the park, I happened to notice that Cecil had a burned out head lamp. That would be an easy fix once we got to an auto parts store.

Last on the list for Day 7 was Durango Colorado and I was looking forward to getting there. It was a short ride there from Mesa Verde and we found a locally owned hotel and had a great dinner at Apple Beeís. Durango is a great little town. It was one of those places I thought I could easily move to tomorrow. I even looked at the local job situation once I got home. I would love to live there for a couple of years!

Group shot of the day (snow cones!)

Old 09-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
vwone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 8

Day 8
Temps: 60-80
Wind: Gusting
Mileage: 366 miles

After a good nights rest and a shower, I felt like a new man on Day 8 and today was going to be a great day! On the list for Day 8 was to cut through the center of Colorado and ride the Million Dollar highway, visit Silverton, Monarch Pass and try to get close to the Rocky Mountain National Park.

As we headed out that morning, we met a guy from India who was staying in the same hotel and he and Tony were swapping stories about traveling.

We headed to the Million Dollar Highway. This was another one of Tonyís surprise destinations for Cecil and myself. Wow! What a great road and the views were once again jaw dropping. Riding into Silverton is a sport touring dream and we took full advantage of it.

The only scary thing about this ride was that if you made a mistake, I really couldn't tell when you would stop falling! So riding with a little in reserve was probably a good thing. At one point we passed a place in the road where the white line had eroded away and I couldnít see the bottom of the valley. Other than that, it was a fantastic road.

Next we continued north to what I would call the highpoint of the Million Dollar highway. It was a small pull off or lookout point with some fantastic views and the history of the highway displayed.

We met another group of riders as we started to leave the lookout. We had followed them earlier in the day and they were just catching up with us. The roads here were not what I would call good roads to take a new rider on and as we followed this pack they had one rider that was scared to death. She would target fixate on the edge of the road and would almost drive off of it. It was scary to watch, to say the least. The switch backs are difficult for any rider and she had to master that as well. Once we talked to them we found out, if I remember correctly, that she was on a 250cc Honda cruiser and this was her first trip. Wow, that would be a hard first trip. I would have been freaked out the entire time, I think.

I have to say that Colorado is just a beautiful state, not only was the riding great but the views were never ending, as well.

Colorado has a little bit of everything from plains to desert to mountains.

Found a great little place to eat! Nothing like some pizza to make you feel good about everything!

The ride up to Monarch Pass was a surprise, I didnít know we would be riding past this stop and the road itself was fantastic. Again just a little warning to ride with some reserve on this road. The sweepers were fast and there were some decreasing radius turns mixed in. That being said, we did it ABR style and absolutely flew up the mountain! I love roads like this, the Buell has a lot of torque and going through these tight turns and then coming out of them with a fist full of throttle is thrilling. When I unleash this beast the engine is barking, the acceleration is instant, you can feel the front tire just leave the pavement, the gauges come alive and I do feel like I become one with the bike. I think the Buell is the ultimate assault vehicle for mountain passes. When we got to the top of the pass I remember getting off of the bike and looking back at it thinking, ďIt just canít get any better than this, thank you Buell!Ē

These pictures tell the story. We had weather coming in and we still had a couple of hours to go!

We continued north until we got to Kremmling, Colorado and found a great Mom and Pop RV park that had just enough grass area for us to pitch our tents.

Group shot of the day