You woulda fit right in on this one!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:55 AM   #18
wachs OP
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,794
Day Two:

Mosquitos are some of the most aggressive units I’ve ever had the mis-fortune to experience. They were literally driving us insane. I have no idea why I took this picture.

We didn’t pack. We just jammed all our stuff on the bikes and fled as fast as we could.

We figured there was a better place to have breakfast so we rolled out of that swamp and into the desert looking for a spot to regroup.
Obviously the good part about all the recent rain was the desert is washed clean right now, there are very few tracks and all the flowers are out in force. At times, the fragance was so powerful it really smelled just like Mother’s Day at the florist.

We had our morning fortitude and rolled out of there. This little playa has played tricks on me before - it looks dry but suddenly turns to a foot of oatmeal. Not today, I rolled it first and radioed back to the fellas “Hit it as fast as you want!” And they did.

We rode across this section pretty fast and are now headed for a cold spring to fill the water bags. Not too hot out, in fact the temps are very comfortable and with the new ventilated armor it’s perfect.

Some kind of mustard seed weed but still pretty.

Filled with fresh water and rinsed off we’re ready for the rest of the day.

We rode up this hillside for about 4 miles - all uphill and a gain of 4000 vertical feet for the outrageous views. I thought I remembered seeing a track off the south side to another old road that would take us east.

On the summit (8000+ feet) looking south into Nevada. Spectacular clean air and 50 mile views in all directions. We hung out up here until we couldn’t take anymore of the ‘Sound of Music’ atmosphere.

OK, so there was no track off the south side. This is the only photo I could mange to grab and it looks easy but isn’t. There was no dirt right here just stones. Todd managed a decent line off the summit but Brad was foolish enough to follow me and I chose the wrong route by about 50 feet. Ended up almost flipping my machine off a ledge into a pile of rock. This is where you could easily get hurt and ruin the whole thing.

That’s Todd way down there on the saddle and you can see the ‘road’ we’re trying to reach.

Brad has another version of this section but we made it down and found the route along a drainage that will take us where we need to go. Funny how this area here us usually just dirt because of the cattle but they haven’t been turned out yet.

This section is really fun and I’ve wanted to ride it backwards but never had the chance until today. It’s all fun until I look back and no one is coming. Brad radios that Todd (Pegz - we’ll explain that later) has a flat.

not a problem or a bad place to do the dance.

This road is an absolute blast riding either direction. Fast, twisting 2-track along a mellow hump for miles.

We hit this pass like we’re racing Erzberg. I have the 525 pinned in places (that thing hauls ass even with all the camping crap on) and am hanging on up the hill to get this shot of the others.

We pull into Fields hungry for lunch and as usual, are not disappointed. I had the best BLT in Oregon. The guy cooking owns this Vtwin 750 qwad that was very tempting to test ride but I chickend out.

Filled with food and fuel we are heading east to meet up with our buddies that should be camped out near another hot spring. I’m hauling ass under this powerline and I see a really bright head light about a mile ahead. The bike is stopped and when I pull up the rider has a pint of tequila in one out stretched arm. It’s IdahoJoe!!!! NO WAY! He actually found us en-route as if we had planned it this way - well, we did kind of plan it. I had emailed him the when and where but still . . .

to the beer coolers!

Icy cold ones for all and Pat brings out the Honda for a hot lap session. Fast friendships were made and lots of good jokes all around.

Too soon Joe was gassing up the 950SE for the run back to Boise. We tried to talk him into staying with us but dedicated professional that he is, refused our offers due to work the next day. Next time I hope he brings Daisy and we get to hang out longer. (Let's get that fall trip on the calendar Joe!)

I gave him my BMC theme sticker and off he went leaving a stitch in the road only a V-twin could make.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:30 AM   #19
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,055
Wow, AWESOME report!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:43 AM   #20
Juntura
Obsessive Lurker

Oddometer: 92
Wachs,

I ve been driving the Oregon desert for a decade now and have got to say that you capture the beauty of it perfectly. I drove down there on my way to Redding California from Missoula Montana in the late 90's and fell in love. Only problem is that all of my photos suck so nobody can understand what I see in it. Thanks for the awesome pics.

One question- do you GPS waypoint most of your trip or just go by feel?
Juntura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:57 AM   #21
idahojoe
shut up and ride

Oddometer: 229
Giant fun!

Thanks for the shell Wachs, it made the trip home comfortable as it gets a little cool in the high desert at midnight at 70 mph. Thanks for the gas and hydration. next time I'll bring more tamales.
78 R80/7
68 Maico 360
idahojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #22
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Back to the skeeters. Godddddamn they were relentless, but we nicknamed them the "junior varsity" because they were tiny and were mostly confused by the dirtbikers in their Cordura outfits.

Pegz' hobo camp:

Kinda had a "feeling" about camping in between a mudhole and a creek, but we had cold frosty beer and soaking on our minds:

Even at the tub we were getting hassled. Skeeters everywhere and the cheap spray bottle of Cutter didn't seem to phase them. Kinda like "hey, that stuff's our favorite, can we have some more?"

Whodathunk. Road construction stop in the desert:

And the coffee and constitutional stop, out of skeeterville.

Camelbak fillerup:

Upward:

Down the saddle after the rock field. THAT was gnarly. Why I follow directly behind Dave sometimes I do not know.

At the lower saddle we came upon this little critter:

From whence we came. Straight down more or less.

more...

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #23
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,858
Man, the high desert is soooooo beautiful!! Nice work!

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #24
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Down below Wox collects some barbed wire in the tall grass:

Coulda been a real mess. There was a buttload of wire hidden in this grass.

Pristine ass-hauling two-track:

We came upon a fairly high speed section that was riddled with the trademarked embedded Oregon rocks. I whacked dozens with the front wheel and cussed repeatedly in my helmet, but a heavy duty tube carrying 20psi in the 908RR was apparently sufficient to ward off the flat demons. Not so for Pegz:

This particular section I think they groomed for us. Swooping high speed S turns along a ridge top. Only thing keeping us in check here was our loads and high pressure:

Across a valley, up and down Domingo Pass and we drop into Burgerville. Top notch operation here in Fields. Great service, friendly and awesome food. I even tried a milkshake this time thru. Remarkably I didn't have to make a stop and find the baby wipes in my pack later.

IdahoJoe!

I don't know if you remember or read Wox' "other" Giant Loop RR...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169640
...but we're in the thick of the silt beds cutting across to our destination for a few days when I run over something that looks familiar:

We think this is Pegz' rad shroud that he lost 2 years ago out here!

"We didn't notice the missing radiator shroud till the next morning."

And finally we're at camp and meet up with StihlRigg and N2Moto (Jason and Pat). Pat's got the all-star moto hauler and the beer and food we'll consume for a few days out here. Oh, and Pat can ride the wheels off any machine and fix it if need be... more on that later.

World class hooligan:

IdahoJoe's signature line should be, "oh okay, one more"

The 690SE is a beast and he gave us a full helping of it's beastliness upon his departure. We laughed for about 20 minutes after that! Yep, this is his lingering dust storm:

No shit. It hung in the air for at least 10 minutes...

Now time for a soak:

more...

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #25
Bozola
Complete Bastard

Oddometer: 418
Just in time for "The Hatch" but at least you missed the cows. The south side of that old volcano is usually deep in cowshit by the end of July.

Quote:
I almost bought that spring that's near the spot where this was taken.

2007 Gear-Up "Skwural"
Inflatable Banana
Bozola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #26
StihlRigg
Dog Farkler

Oddometer: 519
Hey Brad21 this bike is a 950se not the 690se, just so there's no confusion.

"Did you hit him? You shoulda hit him, right in the throat. How dare he. Next time someone expresses concern for my well-being while i'm sprawled out in a public place, i'm gonna pull out their tongue and use it to paint my boat, and then i'm coming for their family."--SinFrenas

07 Husky SMR510
06 950s
06 Husky TE450
90 KX500
04 SDG mini
StihlRigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #27
wachs OP
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahojoe
Thanks for the shell Wachs, it made the trip home comfortable as it gets a little cool in the high desert at midnight at 70 mph. Thanks for the gas and hydration. next time I'll bring more tamales.
HA! I'm glad you were able to use it. Shoulda warned you about the super tiny diameter cuffs on the sleeves. Hopefully you just cut that elastic out of there. Yes, more tamales please!

Old 06-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #28
wachs OP
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntura
Wachs,

I ve been driving the Oregon desert for a decade now and have got to say that you capture the beauty of it perfectly.

One question- do you GPS waypoint most of your trip or just go by feel?
Thanks.

SpongeBrad had a gps but we've been poking around out there for some time now and didn't even look at the map until day 6 and 7. Used the compass everyday though.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #29
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543

so jealous.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #30
StroupDog
Shut-it Beotch

Oddometer: 196
Nice trip report as-shats! I'm jeleous. Great pictures Wachs.

Mini-GiantLoop-09 RR

Jims BigAss road trip

"Living life one day at a time".
StroupDog is offline   Reply With Quote