Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2015, 02:15 AM   #1
vteec OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Kawasaki ZZR1400/ZX14R first generation 2007 ... should i get it?

Hi
I am in two minds whether to take the plunge on a mint ZZR1400 I found locally.
it is a 2007 with only 11000kms and has ABS.

this will be my first Kawasaki, I have always had BMW's.
I have just bought a 2010 S1000RR and it changed my riding completely, I always had GS's before, 650, 800, 1150 and 1200 adventure.

I LOVE the RR, the way it handles, the size, I am commuting everyday on it, and for me it is fantastic.

I always like to have a pair of bikes in my garage to compliment each other (if I could I would have more but I cannot because of finances).

at the moment I have a 2013 f800gs which I am selling because I am not enjoying riding it anymore after the RR.

I want something more sports oriented.

I saw this ZZR1400 and I fell in love.

my main concerns are, whether it will be a mammoth for me like the 1200gs adventure was, I never really enjoyed riding the Adventure because I could not get on with the size and bulk (I am 173cm and weigh 65kgs).

I did not test ride the ZZR yet but when I sat on it and tried to move it around, it already feels lighter than the adventure, both bikes should weigh the same, it could be just my impression.

also a 2007 bike is now eight years old, I never had a bike this 'old', would this mean trouble?
I can vouch it is mint, only ridden on dry roads on sunday mornings.

also would an old ABS system be for example like the early BMW K bikes with the link servo's? I hated that system and had tried a k1200r and never got on with the braking feel.

your advice is always very important to me.

thank you.
vteec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:33 AM   #2
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,272
I've not owned, only test-ridden, the ZZR, but I did own a Super Blackbird. I think the Z is the sportiest of the hyperbikes, light(er) and more flickable than the CBR1100XX or Hayabusa.

It felt pretty light to me, and quite low.

If you can buy it cheap, I say go for it. It would make a great fast-tourer, keeping your RR for short and medium journeys and day-rides.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:45 AM   #3
vteec OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thank you ray Yreka, this is exactly why I am considering it to be honest.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:55 AM   #4
Tim_Tom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Compared to the S1kRR it will feel heavier and will be more work in the tight corners. It will also be more comfortable, better for longer trips, more luggage options, and still very much a rocket.

You are the same size as me, and I felt comfortable sitting on the 14. It has a much lower center of gravity than a GS, plus a lower seat. Shouldn't be a problem. If anything the controls will feel quite roomy.

Don't let it's size fool you, it is a very capable sport bike. I've seen several hustle down some very tight twisty roads with ease. I've even seen one at a track day and he did great.

At that 'age' and mileage the bike is barely broken in. It should perform flawlessly for years to come. Wouldn't think twice about its reliability.

If the price is right, get it!
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:27 AM   #5
vteec OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thank you for your replies.

the last thing that is slightly bothering me is that some of my friends told me that since I always had BMW's I would not be happy with the fit and finish of the ZZR1400.

to be honest I like my bmw's but I do not think they are perfect as regards to the build quality.
the Kawasaki looks fine to me.
anything am I missing maybe?
Old 03-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #6
Tim_Tom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by vteec View Post
thank you for your replies.

the last thing that is slightly bothering me is that some of my friends told me that since I always had BMW's I would not be happy with the fit and finish of the ZZR1400.

to be honest I like my bmw's but I do not think they are perfect as regards to the build quality.
the Kawasaki looks fine to me.
anything am I missing maybe?
I'd say the only thing you're missing a bit of pro-BMW bias.

There is nothing wrong with Kawasaki's build quality at all. And on their flagship bike, you can bet they put much more care into it than a Ninja 250.

Everyone is allowed to think that their favorite brand is superior. That doesn't make anyone right about it though.
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
vteec OP
Gnarly Adventurer

:):)

I consider myself a motorcyclist, I love anything on two wheels, I have my preferences but appreciate all bikes.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
I have a 2012 14r and I had an '06 14, so I reckon I have an opinion. If you like it and you can afford it, get it. It's a very smooth, comfortable (relative for a sportbike) everyday bike, w/awesome power (even more so w/some mods). It will be heavier and longer than the superbikes, your RR included, but will have numerous other advantages, especially as a complement bike. The only real downsides are possibly insurance cost and gas mileage, when realistically considering this class of bike. I'm guessing those are not priorities.

Get it and enjoy it. Great bikes.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #9
vteec OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thank you cls!

you have described exactly what i was looking for in my zzr, a bike to compliment the RR, be more comfortable but still fun etc.

the insurance and fuel costs are not priorities, having fun is :)