Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #46
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,184
On my SV(01' naked). I have the Sargent seat and Buell pegs. I am 6' tall and it fits me great. I have done a few 500+ mile days with no complaints. The buell pegs made a world of difference for me. Now I just need to get some heavier springs and emulators in the front, or maybe gsxr forks. The stock suspension is undersprung especially 2-up.

2-up on the SV is a little cramped for myself and the wife, and with my Cortech Sport saddlebags the wifey wont fit. The bags cover the passenger pegs. Medium length day rides might be ok 2-up but any long rides wouldnt be real comfortable. doable yes, comfy probably not.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #47
MotoKat
Whine Cooler.

Oddometer: 29,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaildrake
Hi folks-
I'm looking hard at the naked SV650 (used) after selling my 640 Adventure - not for dirt, just New Mexico pavement and maybe gravel, that's all my body can take. I'd like to find a bike that is comfortable for occasional solo and two-up day rides, not long-distance traveling. Can anyone comment on stock vs aftermarket seats, peg position, whether passengers + bags works? Anything else to look out for with this model? My wife and I together only weigh about 280, so I know it has enough power. ~Snail
If you have the Givi bags with the SW Motech racks, a passenger will fit fine. I don't know about an aftermarket seat, I have the stocker shaved down. I did a 700 mile day on it on Sunday, and was pretty comfortable the whole day. Of course, I'm 5'3" so I'm not cramped at all with the pegs where they are. How tall are you?
MotoKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #48
erohver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Here's my '03 with a couple of mods, like black paint, cartrige emulators, power commander, twin headlights, fender eliminator, and a Racetiv carbon fiber cannister intended for a honda civic...

I'm running Conti Road Attack tires and love the grip! Too early to tell mileage-wise, I've got 4500 on the rear and plenty of tread left.
erohver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #49
Snaildrake
prowling the SW since '64

Oddometer: 163
How tight is too tight:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoKat
If you have the Givi bags with the SW Motech racks, a passenger will fit fine. ... Of course, I'm 5'3" so I'm not cramped at all with the pegs where they are. How tall are you?
MotoKat, glad to hear there's a way to fit at least some stuff on with a passenger. I am 5'11" 150lbs (and size 12 feet) and my Alison is 5'4" and, you know, just fine. I sat on a friend's SVS last night and it seemed OK though not roomy - just like the 650R, MTS620 and a couple of other lightish bikes I have looked at.
Snaildrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #50
MotoKat
Whine Cooler.

Oddometer: 29,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaildrake
MotoKat, glad to hear there's a way to fit at least some stuff on with a passenger. I am 5'11" 150lbs (and size 12 feet) and my Alison is 5'4" and, you know, just fine. I sat on a friend's SVS last night and it seemed OK though not roomy - just like the 650R, MTS620 and a couple of other lightish bikes I have looked at.
I'm not sure how this would affect her, but the givi plate takes up a little of the passenger seat. I don't have a pic with the bag on, but you can see how the plate covers the seat a bit.
MotoKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:10 PM   #51
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Oddometer: 1,143
You guys are killing me. I've been looking for an sv650n for the past month. There's been 1 used bike I've found within 100 miles and, like an idiot, I let it slip through my fingers. Why are SVSs showing up all over the place and the nekked's so stinking tough to find? Maybe I need to break down and try a seat on the faired version, but the nekked looks more comfortable and, imo, goooooood.

--Heath
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #52
Dr J
save weight, grind pegs!

Oddometer: 123
erohver,
I love the can, what does it sound like? Does it sound like half of a civic?
Old 07-18-2008, 08:05 AM   #53
Impulse 101
Crazy Guitarist

Oddometer: 174
I ride an '04 SV1000S with a full fairing. It's still bone stock, even though I bought it new (still in the crate) at the start of last season. I've got 7000 miles on her now and I really like the bike, the hydralic clutch is great and the engine has a great power/torque curve. The riding position leaves a lot to be desired as do the pipes. They sound horrible, but I have been way too busy to do anything to it and I wanted to see how long I could go on a stock bike.

Here's a pic of the SVS.

My last bike, 1996 Buell S3T ready to ride an Ironbutt to NC.

My wifes 1995 CBR600F3.
Impulse 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #54
beardking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchbanker
You guys are killing me. I've been looking for an sv650n for the past month. There's been 1 used bike I've found within 100 miles and, like an idiot, I let it slip through my fingers. Why are SVSs showing up all over the place and the nekked's so stinking tough to find? Maybe I need to break down and try a seat on the faired version, but the nekked looks more comfortable and, imo, goooooood.
The Nekkid's being so hard to find is something I've noticed also. Seems like no one wants to keep their plastic version, but everyone wants to keep the nekkid one.
beardking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #55
TypeSH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
My '03 with a few OEM accessories.
TypeSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:12 PM   #56
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Hey Impulse 101. Helibars make a world of difference on that bike. Worthwhile addition.

I have a semi-tricked out salvaged '02 650 that i bought as a track bike, and i can't ride it enough. I really dig it! I need to make it more streetable as it is really barebones and dedicated now. It's such a happy puppy dog of a bike that i did a 1400mile tour on it despite the fact that it's got stupid low clipons and damn near no instruments. I only get 40-45 mpg but it sounds so good. I'll post pics when i get a little smarter (or get a smugmug account).
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #57
koalaKid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Well, I may as well chim in with some pictures hehe

'07 sv650naked; had it for just over a month and i've got just over 9100kms on 'er.

my first bike was a '77 honda cb550, second was an '05 gs500f. the sv is the best bike EVER! haha

this was done about 28 hours after taking ownership on my 1300km ride home from the dealership

This one was on my 6000km trip around BC:
koalaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #58
koalaKid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawk
No complaints here! 2000 SV650N 30K miles

A great Tour,Track,Commute,Holligan bike.
Mid 40 MPG for me...

Where was this taken? it looks like you have almost as much stuff on there as I do when I tour!

TypeSH, your bike looks soooo nice
koalaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #59
pcohenchicago
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I got 10 bikes and teh 06 SV 650s is still one of my favorites:

Penske rear shock
rqcetech fork internals
PCIII
K&N
Full Akropivic
Steel brake lines
Pazzo levers
Color matching hugger and chin spoiler
Dubba bubba screen
Vesrah brake pads
Pilot Powers
Corbin seat
Rear foot peg eliminator/exhaust holder
Undertail mod
Flush mounted front lights

It's dynomite bike now :)
2008 Ducati 848 | 2008 Kawasaki Versys
pcohenchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #60
Pawk

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by koalaKid
Where was this taken? it looks like you have almost as much stuff on there as I do when I tour!

TypeSH, your bike looks soooo nice
That is the Columbia ice field on the Icefields parkway in Jasper NP.

I was touring... 2 weeks/6000 miles. I did 15XX miles in 32 hours on that bike.