Oddometer: 6,900
The only possible issue for a learner on the SV650 might be the low-down
torque. New riders usually don't have the smoothness needed for gentle
launches on a twin, and letting go of the throttle suddenly can also get
them in trouble.

I know I've had issues with that when I got my Ninja 650R,
but my first ride was from a dealership 60 miles of curvy roads
from home!

But after the first few days, it was all peachy.

I remember tho that I did NOT have issues feathering the throttle
on a friend's ZX6R (636) and the FZ6S (Fazer), they're both a lot
smoother initially, but stay away from high revs!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #1142
The Killstar
Ted Simon Acolyte

Oddometer: 297
CRAP, totally thought I had subscribed and didn't. ANYWAY

Thanks a bunch for all the replies guys. I definitely see the school of thought about starting on a smaller, less intimidating bike, but I'd just worry about outgrowing it within 6 months and then what are you gonna do? A bike would be a major investment for us in our current situation, but as I ride everywhere, she wants to be able to come along. (I learned with 0 experience and no class on an 1100 cruiser, so I am a terrible example (and I did eventually take the class and unlearn bad examples).

She will take the motorcycle class before she does anything, so she'll have that under her belt. My other thought was to see about one of the new Honda 500s, as that would also be in that grey area between beginner bike, and everyday rider.

No cracks about me having no class either!
"Absolutely! If we didn't like visually beautiful bikes we'd all ride V-Stroms or something." - Av8rPaul
The Killstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #1143
kalonji
nihilism or nothing

Oddometer: 1,884
Ninja 500 a good option too.
kalonji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #1144
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
I taught 2 of my friends on there sv's as well. Using the msf course as my guide, one guy had absolutely no experience but did just fine. I say go for it. Riding anything is intimidating for a new rider. The sv is a bike you can learn on and keep riding for a very long time.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #1145
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,374
Thanks to discoganya...nice find on the windscreen fairing.

About $23.00 delivered.

I changed the bike from blue to red.

TrashCan screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 08:21 AM
TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #1146
discoganya
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post

I changed the bike from blue to red.
Looking good there, TrashCan. You changed the bike color from blue to red to match a $23 windshield ?
Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #1147
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoganya View Post
Looking good there, TrashCan. You changed the bike color from blue to red to match a $23 windshield ?

With a small stop in faceplant

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #1148
sodapop
Caffeinated

Oddometer: 99
Modify or sell?

I like my SV650S a lot. It's light, flickable, and the engine sounds great with a pipe. It's fast enough to be fun but not stupid fast. What I dislike is the crouched over on the clipons, feet up and back uncomfortable (to me) riding position. I'm riding with guys now on ADV bikes and sport tourers, and I want to take some longer trips. I did a 350 mile day with them and almost put my bike in the classifieds that night.

I bought a custom CNC top triple for 50 mm USD forks. My plan is to buy a complete GSXR front end and a Penske rear shock. The triple is drilled for handlebar clamps, so I would run dirt bars. That should solve the crouched over position and low budget suspension problem. Then I would change to SV650N rearsets or find something custom. Because of ground clearance, I can't lower the pegs too much. They would never be as low and forward as, say, a WeeStrom.

This would not be cheap. I think all in, the mods would cost about 2 grand. This means I would have over $5500 in a bike worth around $3500. It would be a very fine bike, though.

So, what do say? I rode a Versys and it fit great. Should I mod the SV, or sell it and buy something else?

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Gone: 2007 Honda VFR800A, 2006 Suzuki SV650S, 2002 KTM 125SX, 1994 Yamaha YZF750R, 1992 Honda CBR600R, 1991 Suzuki GSXR750R, 1989 Yamaha FZR600R, 1983 Honda CR80R, 1982 Honda XR80R, 1979 Yamaha GT80
sodapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #1149
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
I'm 6'3", I put MX bars and lowered Buell pegs on my streetfighter and I find it pretty comfy. Not as comfy as my KLR though. I think my KLR is more comfy than a Versys.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:24 AM   #1150
gentlemanjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Sodapop. A grand idea and worthy project, but that's a lot of scratch for the mods you want to do. get a SV650N put on a PUIG WINDY wind screen and have a ball. or get the Vstrom.
gentlemanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #1151
Screzzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Don't forget you'll recover some of the cost if you sell your SV front end. I remember reading about someone who did the swap and almost broke even.

OTOH, the Versys would probably let you hang with the ADV bikes in places the SV wouldn't.
Screzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #1152
Ohio_Danimal
Midlife Crisis Man

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
Modify or sell?

I like my SV650S a lot. It's light, flickable, and the engine sounds great with a pipe. It's fast enough to be fun but not stupid fast. What I dislike is the crouched over on the clipons, feet up and back uncomfortable (to me) riding position. I'm riding with guys now on ADV bikes and sport tourers, and I want to take some longer trips. I did a 350 mile day with them and almost put my bike in the classifieds that night.

I bought a custom CNC top triple for 50 mm USD forks. My plan is to buy a complete GSXR front end and a Penske rear shock. The triple is drilled for handlebar clamps, so I would run dirt bars. That should solve the crouched over position and low budget suspension problem. Then I would change to SV650N rearsets or find something custom. Because of ground clearance, I can't lower the pegs too much. They would never be as low and forward as, say, a WeeStrom.

This would not be cheap. I think all in, the mods would cost about 2 grand. This means I would have over $5500 in a bike worth around $3500. It would be a very fine bike, though.

So, what do say? I rode a Versys and it fit great. Should I mod the SV, or sell it and buy something else?

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Easily done, and not nearly as expensive as you estimated. Here are some tips:

1) Take your time aquiring the GSXR parts. Often if you piece together everything, you'll end up spending much less. Also, there is a strong market for used stock SV parts, and you'll recapture some funds that way as well.
2) Make sure to get the GSXR front with the correct spring rate for you. They vary in length as well.
3) 2005 GSXR1000 upper triple for instance fits the 2006-2007 GSXR600-750 fork offsets perfectly, allow the ignition lock to work (albeit straight ahead) and can be drilled to add risers for naked SV bars

Here is a picture when I first did the conversion, with risers added to a stock GSXR upper triple

Later went to a custom triple and 3-1/2" rise clipons. Nearly the same as the bars but a cleaner look (and sold the drilled upper/bars)

Yoi can also lower the footpegs cheaply with Buell pegs. I ended up having some custom low pegs machined.

The SV makes a VERY comfy all-day twistys bike

Anger is age, hell bent.

Ohio_Danimal screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 11:02 AM
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #1153
Niles
Riding >> Typing

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Danimal View Post
2) Make sure to get the GSXR front with the correct spring rate for you. They vary in length as well.
In case you were wondering what the differences were...

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135430

Someone has done a great job compiling the information already at the top of that thread. :)
Niles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #1154
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Killstar View Post
CRAP, totally thought I had subscribed and didn't. ANYWAY

Thanks a bunch for all the replies guys. I definitely see the school of thought about starting on a smaller, less intimidating bike, but I'd just worry about outgrowing it within 6 months and then what are you gonna do? A bike would be a major investment for us in our current situation, but as I ride everywhere, she wants to be able to come along. (I learned with 0 experience and no class on an 1100 cruiser, so I am a terrible example (and I did eventually take the class and unlearn bad examples).

She will take the motorcycle class before she does anything, so she'll have that under her belt. My other thought was to see about one of the new Honda 500s, as that would also be in that grey area between beginner bike, and everyday rider.

No cracks about me having no class either!
I've been riding for 20 years, and bought my '99 SV brand new, and still haven't outgrown it or gotten tired of it yet! Other bikes have come and gone but I still have that one!

AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #1155
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
I just found a full gsxr front end with everything I need for 800 except speedo and am jumping on it myself. I have an N but its got lowered bars. Should make the bike juuuust about perfect. Nice to see someone drilled the stock triples for bars as that is my intention as well.