Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
janus OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Thumb Ain't no 'Termater's' in Sandilands!

Backroader, Humvee, SpeedRacer, Karl (i can't remember your handle! hahah) and myself headed out to test the dirt down SE of Winnipeg, Manitoba, around one of the oldest routes in Western Canada...

Someone else is gonna have to post the route. I was just a follower on my first official Dirt Ride.

Started off easy enough - we all seemed to make it to the meeting spot on time! 11:00am at Fermor and Lagimodiere, just north of the Mint.

We eventually headed out on the hardtop towards Richer and veered off on the dirt to the south. The first round of offroad had rocks, ruts, mud, and a water crossing. Humvee bravely tore through the middle - and it was in the middle where he got thirsty all the sudden (more pictures from the others to come).

After we all successfully made it through that obstacle, we continued onto the harder-packed gravel until Backroader saw a forking trail that looked recently unexplored and interesting. We veered into the unknown; mainly grass and sand ... sand that got increasingly moist, until we were at yet another water crossing. This one was particularly mucky. While we all traversed it successfully, I ended up taking a fall in the muddy rutted aftermath...

Speedracer went further up the trail to see if we had similar hurdles ahead - and we did. Much bigger ones. Backroader and myself didn't really have the nubbies necessary for the mud, and those who did were also slipping and sliding. We decided to head back to the gravel.

Once we got back on the hardpack, we took a hydration stop and Humvee attempted to dehydrate his boots/socks.

The remainder of our trip was mainly dusty lose gravel and sand. As I was a n00b at this I found the sand to be pretty tricky. But - I used to have a CBR125R. Take one of those over a grated bridge, and its almost the same feeling, just amplified a little bit by the fact that the sand likes to add some resistance. Regardless, those grated bridges were great practice to resist the death grip and ride it out. Great pointers and tips from Karl and Backroader about sand riding, and it became much more enjoyable! Slippin and sliding and kicking up the dust, we eventually came to another crossroads. This one just happened to be old Dawson Road.

Another 5 km or so and we were back at the TransCanada. Backroader led us to Zack's - a burger bus/chip wagon- parked at a rest stop between the east and west highways of the TransCan. I highly recommend the Bison Burger!

We ate our grilled sustenance, even WITH the tomatoes. For those of you familiar with the 'salmonella tomato' scare, we joked about it and brushed it off as bullshit, or the result of a confused American Midwesterner amidst the many 'ternader' outbreaks this year

After lunch Humvee and I decided to break from the group and boot it back to the 'Peg early, while the rest carried on through the dirt, and I leave it to one of them to continue the report!

Thank you everyone for your tips and pointers, and to Backroader (Humvee ) for leading! Now post those pics!
janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,618
Doesn't look like much, but within lies the beast that eat's up KLRs and spits them out.

KLR's weren't the only bike to get sleepy on this trip. Here's the Beemer getting upright after making it through the hard part.

Here's the harder part:

Time for a breather...it was hot outside. We'd have stopped longer, but the flies were a'hummin

It's not an adventure ride until you eat:

da gang
Old 06-22-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,305
Nice action shots

Old 06-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Leaving Winnipeg eastbound on #1, go a few clicks past Richer and like Janus said, head South. Here's the loop we did, but it seems you could spend a week there and never ride the same trail twice. We largely stuck to the trails that seemed more heavily ridden. The area is very popular with quads, but we didn't see any until we got within a few clicks on #1 on our way out.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,564
Hey Gadget Boy, that was the imfamous ZAK'S buffalo burger, complete with Mexican Tomatoes. Nicley complimented with a side order of deer flies and topped with wood ticks.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
BackRoader
Heading There Next

No pic's, me thinks Norton 360 is giving me the dumbs rush.

Anyway, good ride today, only a couple of low speed tip overs. No broken bones or bikes.

The bush roads are dry and dusty, only a couple of good water crossing to liven up the ride..

You did not want to have anykind of a delay in travel, the deer flies were brutal...... enough of them could probabaly drag a full grown adult off into brush to eat.

Klipping along side Speedracer at 125 to 130 kms was about the only time you weren't eating dust and bugs..... also cooled off a little.

As Janus mentioned earlier, we road along the Dawson Trail, aside from no Red River Ox Carts, I 'll bet the road has not changed much in 200 years.

We crossed the TransCanada at Pine Grove Hault and travelled along some old forest roads till we arrived at the Reynolds Ponds. Once a railway served gravel pit area that supplied the City of Winnipeg sand and gravel for making concrete. It's now a great liitle get a way place to fish, canoe and even do some camping.

This road eventualy took us back out the TransCanada near St.Anne.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,004

That and a DIET coke???

Backroader, I was wondering about the wood ticks in your neck of the woods....
Old 06-22-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

1 tick for me.....probably a couple more crawling inside my gear.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:14 PM   #9
BackRoader
Heading There Next

ZZRon, Ticks were out in full force today.... we stayed on gravel and sand most of the time, but if you went into the grass you were bound to pick one up.

Calin818 road in from Carman to join us...nice surprise. He mentioned something in passing, about the weather today.....+28.... a little warmer than +8. We both agreed, it's going to be hard to find the riding in Manitoba that we were treated to on the Icebreaker.

All in all, a day on the bike out ways a day in the office....no matter even if the right is to the beer store, it's all good.

Can't wait to see Hektogliders ride report.....
Old 06-22-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,004
I picked one up down by Fort Frances the other day.

Took Klay, (from southern Minnesota) out riding for the day, then we had the neccessary number of beer at my place that night.

The Snake Bay/Little Turtle River Road is a VERY nice ride!!

/hijack off/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader
ZZRon, Ticks were out in full force today.... we stayed on gravel and sand most of the time, but if you went into the grass you were bound to pick one up.

Calin818 road in from Carman to join us...nice surprise. He mentioned something in passing, about the weather today.....+28.... a little warmer than +8. We both agreed, it's going to be hard to find the riding in Manitoba that we were treated to on the Icebreaker.

All in all, a day on the bike out ways a day in the office....no matter even if the right is to the beer store, it's all good.

Can't wait to see Hektogliders ride report.....
Old 06-22-2008, 10:44 PM   #11
janus OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I ended up with a tick on my scalp behind my ear... I hope that's it. I"ll be creepy crawly though for the next day or so. I've never had to deal with them before (Central Ontario doesn't get wood ticks that bad)

btw: nice shot of me mowing down there on the Bison Burger hahaha but it sure was tasty
janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:43 AM   #12
BackRoader
Heading There Next

ZAK's burgers got more footage on this ride than the Riders.

Pretty soon ADVRiders will be coming from all over to get the "buffalo burger" with a "side of flies (deer) and topped with ticks.

Would you like those "flies" supper sized.....next week the horse flies come out..... ya !!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #13
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

A few more pics from Backroader: The last couple from after Janus and I split for home.

Mmmm! Swampwater

Destiny resting and drying out

Two-track around Reynold's ponds

Speedracer getting wet