User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Geezer Goes to the Beach

In October Mrs RB and I were wandering about and the topic came up of deciding what to do for the winter. Most of the family is coming home for Christmas but after that, getting to somewhere without snow seemed ideal.

I'm always Jonesin for Mexico but we were looking at some other destinations but Mexico crept back to the top of the list and seemed the best place to satisfy our desire for a relaxing place with no snow.

Hmmm, well, if we are going to Mexico, I guess we'll need some transportation . . . like, maybe my bike.

And now we have the genesis for a little adventure ride.

So, here's the plan. When we get back in early November, I’ll ride my bike down to Sacramento and put it in storage. Come home for Christmas with the family. Then, return to Sacramento in January, retrieve the bike and head to Mexico. Rendevoux with Mrs RB north of Purerto Vallarta, put the shorts on and commence the search of endless Tacos, Tostados and Tequila with the odd Negra Modelo thrown in.

So, now it’s early November and we have just returned from our travels and I look at my bike’s tags and realized I have 6 days to expiry – 6 days to get organized, packed, find some bare roads to Sacramento and get it put away.

Hmmm, a day to pack and get the bike set up (it's not like I haven't done this before), 4 days down to Sacramento and one day left over. Should be doable. So, I did.

I'm watching the weather vacillating between snow and rain. Crap, I hate snow! Particularly with a bike. Going to have to get out of Dodge regardless of the weather as I don't have any time to wait out a storm so I'm hoping Mother Nature has a smilie for me.
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:28 PM   #2
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

November 6 - And we're off!

Finally time to leave, no snow and 35 deg F. No snow down by the lake but still pretty dreary.

The first day’s temperature varied between 34 and 39.

Stopped at a little place in Okanagan Falls for breakfast. Not particularly remarkable other than I really craved some bacon and eggs. For some reason they don’t eat bacon or hash browns for breakfast in France. Not that I eat bacon and eggs a lot, it's just when you can’t have them is when you really want them. While a pretty mundane photo, man, it all sure tasted good.

I was getting cold and stopped in Ephrata for an afternoon warm up. I think I almost chugged a half pot of coffee. Asked the waitress if she had any pie . . . “no, but I have a cinnamon bun.” Sure, I love cinnamon buns. I’m sitting there minding my own business sucking back coffee when all of a sudden there was a thud and I swear the table shook. She had dropped this friggin Cinamon Pie. It was huge.

Just a word on what makes a good cinnamon bun: Cinnamon mixture is gooey with lots of cinnamon; The bread part is soft – you shouldn’t need a steak knife to cut it; No raisins (please – who puts raisins in anything?) and; Good icing. And . . . just so you know, sticky buns are not cinnamon buns - they are some sort of candied bread product that sticks to your teeth. Anyhow, this monster was perfect! I ate it all . . . of course.

No other bikes on the road today. Stayed at the infamous Super 8 in Yakima

RexBuck screwed with this post 01-12-2014 at 06:38 PM Reason: Apparently didn't know how to spell . . .
Old 01-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Good to see you're back on the road

Hey Steve

Good to see you're back on the road. Hope to catch up with you somewhere down the line.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Hey Steve

Good to see you're back on the road. Hope to catch up with you somewhere down the line.

Kedgi
Hey Dwight - Keep in touch. Hope your bike is working better.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
what you don't like reason http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/raison
on your cinnamon rolls?

i sure love raisins on mine
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
on your cinnamon rolls?

Nope, I'm not known to put reason on anything . . . some claim I'm actually unreasonable. Who knew?

OK Mr guy who can spell, thanks for catching that - I'll fix it.

However, talking about raisins . . . they don't belong in anything baked. The only good raisin is one crushed and fermented before it was dried out. My theory is that if a grape isn't good enough to make something drinkable out of it then it's dried out and they try to pawn it off as food. Just sayin.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

November 7

At least today started out a bit better . . . 4 deg C (39F). Clouds on Satus Pass stayed high until over the summit then some fog. Got real thick after Goldendale Ė could see about 3 car lengths. Idiot in front of me must be from South America Ė driving in the fog with no lights.

Had breakfast at one of my favorite stops, Country Cafť in Lyle. I know many of you may be surprised at this, I have a picture of my breakfast . . . (I'll try to cut down on the foodie stuff later . . . really!)

Started pissing rain after that for about 2 hours. Went over the Bridge of the Gods near on the Columbia River near the Cascade Locks which is a toll bridge. I pulled over before the toll booth to dig out some change as I didnít want to take my gloves off since wet hands are a bugger to get back in a glove. As Iím rummaging around trying to get a grip on my wallet, a guy pulls up, rolls his window down and tells me not to bother, heíll take care of my toll. Only 50 coents but a greatly appreciated gesture at that moment.

Riding through a bunch of the really twisty back roads east of Portland and most are covered with maple leaves. Mixed with the rain and I was taking it pretty easy around the corners.

Rain let up as I got further south. Real pretty. Starting to harvest Christmas trees. I was looking out for the helicopters working but couldn't spot any this day. This video someone else did and is how they bring the trees out to the trucks.

Finally saw another bike, a couple of metric cruisers were out enjoying the fall weather.

Stopped in Roseburg at the Quality Inn for the night.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #8
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

November 8, 9 and 10

OK, let's get this part finished up.

November 8
Great ride down the Redwood Highway. I love that bit as you approach the coast at Arcata and winding down the little canyon then through the Redwoods. Spectacular! Then of course, I can never get enough of riding through the Humbolt Redwoods State Park.

For those that donít know, the road through here is the old highway and you can stay on it until almost Garberville before dumping back on the freeway. Wandering through all the Redwood groves and a twisty 2 lane road with virtually no one else around . . .

Stopped in Willets for the night. Picked a very average looking old school mom & pop type motel, wasnít expecting much and it sure wasnít. I usually have great luck with these but this one didnít work.

November 9

Got out of Willets and headed down to Sacramento. There are so many great riding roads in this part of California and I discovered another that Iím sure I have not been on before. Highways 29 and 175 below Clear Lake were just a hoot. Not much traffic, decent roads and crookeder than a dogís hind leg.

Plowed my way through the city and got to my usual hotel in Rancho Cordova. Will take a few days to vist with my Dad, visit my Son and his wife in San Francisco and finish up some bike maintenance.

November 10

Liscence plates expire today and itís a Sunday so, thought I would get out and go for an early short last ride of the year. Still watching my voltmeter closely and wanted to experiment with a couple of things. Iíll talk about the electrical issues next.

Anyhow, found some great roads nearby that were so much fun. I love these kind of roads particularly when you have been fighting the elements and a timetable and the sun going down at 5 PM. This pic doesnít show the huge washouts and general deterioration of the road but gives an inkling. Now I can put the bike away.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #9
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Another Geezer episode.....

BTW , Raisins, when bake in cinnamon rolls, re-hydrate, puff up & burst.... distributing little pockets of nectar throughout....

Sleddog
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #10
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post

BTW , Raisins, when bake in cinnamon rolls, re-hydrate, puff up & burst.... distributing little pockets of nectar throughout....

Sleddog
Nector? I can think of another word for that . . . . Try one without those little "pockets of ???" sometime. You will exclaim, "Holy Shit, that RexBuck guy really gets it. I had no idea" Just sayin'.

RexBuck screwed with this post 01-15-2014 at 09:05 PM
Old 01-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Apparently this Ride Report got shuffled over to "Day Trippin" because of my lack of posts. Boy, those Mods are a tough crew, crackin the whip. Got it sorted now and, I promise to try to write some interesting crap.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #12
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Electrical problems

During the trip ferrying my bike down to California I have been watching my little onboard voltmeter telling me my bike is struggling to power the bike's electrical needs along with my heated liner, grips and spot lights. Normally it should not be a problem to run this extra gear on this bike Ė it doesnít have a lot of spare power but more than enough for my needs. In fact, I have noticed it struggling ever since my South America trip with voltages seeming to gradually fall as time wore on.

There is a known issue on the pre 2012 800GSs with the Stator (alternator) failing at pretty low mileages. The stator produces the electricity to power everything on the bike. Apparently the stator is getting too hot and since it consists of a bunch of wire wound around a number of posts, the insulation deteriorates, shorts out and the stator can't produce any electricity. In the warranty fix, when they replace the stator, BMW also installs a redesigned flywheel which has some oversized holes that will splash a little more cooling oil on the stator. Knowing this was a potential problem, I actually carried a replacement aftermarket stator with me on the last trip.

In my rush to leave home, one of the things I forgot to pack was my multi-meter - that gadget with wires and dials that can be used to measure some electrical stuff. There are some pretty straight forward tests to determine if the stator has failed. So, I really didn't know what the status of my stator was until I returnd in January. I couldn't take it into the dealer then for a check out as my plates had expired.

Given my suspisions when I put the bike in storage, I had booked it in with A&S BMW immediately upon my return.

My initial discussion with the service writer was a bit bizarre. He tried to pin the problem on my AntiGravity Lithium battery and since I was pretty sure it was a stator problem, I couldn't understand what he was on about. A battery caused a stator failure. Please! As far as I know, a battery canít fry a stator.

Fast forward to my January return armed with my multi-meter. The stator has three identical circuits. There are 3 tests but the last one is the critical one. It measures the AC voltage of each circuit. They each should be over 50 vAC . . . mine were 60, 57 and 4. Bingo! We have a winner. (I love it when I'm right - just doesn't happen often . . . ask Mrs RB)

When I brought the bike in, they did the same tests I had and determened the stator and regulator in fact needed replacing. If they order parts right away, the earliest they can be in will be Tuesday (It was Friday) . That was fine as I wanted some time with my Dad anyhow.

Then I tell them my bike is covered by a Canadian warranty but nooooo they didnít want to deal with the foreign warranty. Unfortunately my dealer was still closed for the holidays so I couldn't confirm what I should do. I didn't want to hold up the parts order so I told them to go ahead, I'll pay for it and figure out how to get the money back from my dealer or BMW Canada.

Fortunately my dealer (Bentley in Kelowna) is back to work the same day the parts are arriving so I call them first thing and talk to both the service guy and the manager and was told I canít claim the cost of the repair back from BMW Canada and the US dealer should submit the warranty claim directly. They called BMW Canada who in turn called BMW USA and by the time I arrived for my bike, all was resolved.

I have bought a lot of crap from A&S over the last couple of years and they have always treated me well. The service they did was actually good, they got the parts quickly and got the job done when they said they would. It would have been nice if they would have just skipped the bullshit that did little more than irritated me. (Yes, I know, this probably isn't the first time I've been irriated . . .)

Anyhow, bike runs like a top and I've got power out the wazoo. I'm a happy camper.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #13
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Glad you resolved your electrical issues. Looking forward to the rest of the report. Thanks...
Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #14
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
on your cinnamon rolls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post

Sleddog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgee View Post
Glad you resolved your electrical issues. Looking forward to the rest of the report. Thanks...
And Kedgi (guess multi-quotes won't do more than 3)

How rude of me. I didn't welcome you guys along. Thanks for joining in.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:19 AM   #15
Vato Jinete
Feo del Norte

Oddometer: 519
Ready for another Geezer RR