User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #136
deafPOPEYE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Hi, Bravo!

You are NOT done eating gravel. There is lot more out there, correct? It reminds me of Alaska I rode on! It doesnt look too bad so far for you. You might be right that 50/50 tires will do just fine. Just do not send us any more gravel!!!
Rest plenty!!!
deafPOPEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #137
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,279

I am sitting here in my Hotels grand dining room in Cartwright, Labrador. Having my first Bake-apple pie. Am relaxed and thoughts come to mind to write something other than the landscape or epic rides, especially gravel.

I feel like I am acting like a motor journalist for deaf bikers and others as well, but foremost I am writing to tell my deaf friends to hit the high road, rather than always riding locally. There are a few who do just what I do but that’s in the minority. I love to travel by bike and like to write when I can. I hope you didn’t expect a detailed travel guide to places near and far, rather a guide to the enjoyment of traveling, especially by motorcycle. I must admit to being destination oriented at times. I hope to have focused on the little things that made the journey itself the most memorable: the rhythm of the road through my loins, the vibration (music to the hearies’) of the bike, the beauty of the ride, the people and their land. And, of course, the exhilaration of the ride of being on a motorcycle on the road. I hope to inspire many motorcyclists especially the deaf to take a more leisurely pace far and wide and be more appreciative of the surrounding country side away from home.

There are reasons why we travel, it is to give ourselves memories….memories are the stuff of life!
Some advice to my deaf and hearing long distance ride dreamers. When you are a motorcycling tourist, you should be a goodwill ambassador, representing your country in good manners. We are sometimes still viewed as a notoriety from the days of Marlon Brando, Peter Fonda , Hells Angels, etc. and their thundering cannons….! Hoping from bar to bar and kick ass after that, and that means that we have to be extra good. That’s the way society works. Not fair perhaps, but who said life was fair? When I tour I am such a nice guy, my enemies wouldn’t believe. I like touring and like to be accepted as a deaf person by people who have never met one. I readily tell them that I am a deaf motorcyclist with a smile, friendly facial gesture and body language. I say a loud, “THANK YOU”, whether it’s nasal or intelligible and booms across the room….I say “PLEASE” for everything without reservation. I like friendly people, smiling waitresses, loving receptionists….these make my day and I feel welcome. There might be times that I miss having responded to someone’s question or curiosity simply because I could not hear the person in the back and walked on. While they might think that I am a biker snoop. Could have happened…?? Just hope that the person I just spoke with would correct them by telling them that I am a good DEAF biker.

To this date there has been very little in regard to the perspectives of a deaf motorcycle rider….because there was none. I believe I left a lasting good will impression of a deaf rider. Humankind up here has extended their love, home and surroundings in such a way that I have not experienced before. I hope you return this goodwill gesture in kind.

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-04-2008 at 05:27 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #138
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
Well said. Great report of your experiences so far. It's been fun following along.

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #139
Krashdragon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Oh damn! Not only a great RR, and awesome pics.... totally not the kind of pics in the guidebooks, but ones showing a real ride!
And some of the best looking food I've seen on here yet.....
haven't seen headcheese that looked that good since my grandma died....

oh and the seafood! Just drooling here....

Ok, just keep writing and posting pics, really ejoying this report!~
Even tho I'm starving to death with all those great food photos!
And more places to add to my must see list.....

Next time you see your wife, give her a great bike hug and tell her we appreciate her letting you ride off and take a few pics!

Eagerly awaiting your next installments!
Mary
Krashdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #140
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Hummm...I've posted the other day--nothing!

Anyways...enjoy your down time and I'm looking forward your thoughts, reflections on life in general and those pictures. I feel like I'm on the trip too...

Hondachopper
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #141
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
Oh yeah, I agree with KRASHDRAGON, your frau deserves a big hug for letting you experience the ride and sharing you with the rest of us your reflections, pictures and standing by you. Whatawoman!!

Enjoy your time and thanks for all the pictures you've shared so far. Eat and rest well til the next ride.

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:03 AM   #142
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 2,909
You have enemies?

quote:
When I tour I am such a nice guy, my enemies wouldn’t believe.

end quote

You have enemies?
I find that hard to believe.

Motorcycle Touring does indeed bring out the best in those who ride.
Looking forward to the remainder of the journey.

Plug and Plug.
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:22 AM   #143
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

OLD_ LION......."enemies", oh, well...people that don't like me..can't stand me or something like that. It's a figure of speech!

CHEERS
Old 07-11-2008, 05:55 AM   #144
der_tobe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
hello and THANK YOU for this fantastic RR. I am absolutely hooked and really try to share your philosophy of travelling as an ambassador of goodwill...

one meets so many (an rough estimate of 99.9%) friendly and good people by being decent, friendly and modest...
that is the essence of travelling - apart from eating new delicacies like bake-apple jam and the like

So DANKE again (you seem to know German, strewing in some vocabulary here and there...)

bye and keep showing us that the HEART is the most important sense.

der tobe
der_tobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #145
Nan-Lo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
AMAZING RR and wonderful pictures! Thank you for sharing!

Photobucket:
http://tinyurl.com/9cnj36
Nan-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #146
Scoop
runs with scissors

Oddometer: 297
"hearies". I love that term
It is great for me, getting the ride report and the additional insights to Deaf culture. Keep it coming. Ride safe!

"....you can't sacrifice the dead" -----Jonnylotto

We are unable to imagine nothing, therefore we must imagine something.
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #147
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Carthwright, LABRADOR....

Dear Readers:

Many thanks for your encouraging well wishes. I hope that you come here one day and meet the people, its land....believe me it is rugged and not for the fainthearted especially some of us who are cityslickers. Nature here is at it's best. Things stand still....since I don't hear, if there's nothing moving for miles..to me things are then STILL. The horizon has never been this quiet(?). The depths of the Grand Canyon are painted with people and even Alaska feels overpopulated. Labrador is the only place left where you can have this much space to yourself. But this sense of FREEDOM doesn't come easy, you'll have to fight for it. So come here and surrender to the stillness in your hearing senses-climb Fjords carved from the ocean floor. Whatever your adventure, Labrador patiently awaits.

To ....."der Tobe" you wrote.....

hello and THANK YOU for this fantastic RR. I am absolutely hooked and really try to share your philosophy of travelling as an ambassador of goodwill...

one meets so many (an rough estimate of 99.9%) friendly and good people by being decent, friendly and modest...
that is the essence of travelling - apart from eating new delicacies like bake-apple jam and the like

So DANKE again (you seem to know German, strewing in some vocabulary here and there...)

bye and keep showing us that the HEART is the most important sense.

der tobe

Ja, bin Deutsch-Amerikaner. Kann gut Deutsch sprechen und verstehen. Deutsch war meine Muttersprache. Stamme von Hanweiler/Bad Rilchingen..neben Saarbruecken; SAAR. Willkommen zum lesen und schauen meiner motorrad Reise durch die letzte und einige "Hochstrasse" Labradors.
T'schuess, ELMER(Elmar)
Old 07-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #148
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Jeepers Harmut...Speak English---I don't read german...

I do look forward to your thoughts and pics...

How are things with you---are u getting the rest you need or are you already getting restless to move on?

Now what is a cod tongue? I didn't know that cod fishes had tongues!!! or is it from a cow?? Chuckle...

I'm sooo jealous!!!

Hondachopper...
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #149
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Downtown Cartwright, Labrador..

This is my last night in Cartwright before I get delivered 12 hours by sea to Goose Bay/ Happy Valley. The day today was not too bad, overcast but no rain for a change. Decided to explore the village of Cartwright and also find out where I am to embark on the ferry ; the good ship MV/Robert Bond.

The Docks..

Ticket Office for the Ferry crossing...

Then I spied a ship which I recognized from my sailing days years hence...I couldn't believe my eyes of what he's doing here. It's a 60' Deerfoot of the the Steve Dashew fame, his Deerfoot sailboat design, but this is a Deerfoot fast trawler based on the proven sail underbody design. Verified this at the Crafts store here..It's Steve Dashew and his mate, been sitting here for a week and am sure are waiting of what hurriacane Bertha has in store.

The Town....

Town Hall

Yes, the town is a bit bleak, forlorn...but the people are the friendliest I have met. Hardy people of fishermans descents. Many are aboriginals. I noticed that the men are sinewy thin and muscled from hard labor of fishing, while the average woman is on the heavy side.

Garbage is kept in home made containers like these: prevents wildlife from scavenging it and the coldness here keeps the odor nonexistend! Clever..

Probably the prettiest home in Cartwright

I have a melancholy fear that the new 250 km by-pass route 85km south of Cartwright will hurt the towns economy and attraction...SAD, necessary ???

Visited this Arts and Crafts hut here for some mementos of Cartwright. Told the lady that I was deaf and she mouthed the conversation with me smoothly. In a second word got out that a deaf customer was in the store and bought something. While trying to take a walk down to the jetty getting a better picture of the Deerfoot Yacht in the harbor a lady chased me down and some conversations began.

She said that she met a deaf biker sometime ago in Newfoundland. She herself was pretty deaf until the Canadian Doctors did something to her ears and now she "hears". Her brother, she said, "Is deaf-mute". I politely acknowledged that the word "mute" is pretty ancient but here up north it's still the norm. When you can't speak well you are mute..pronto. Lovely Lady.

Steve Dashews ship in the distance..

Towns Clinic...

Clinic staff Housing..

This ends my report from Cartwright, Northern Labrador. My next report should be from Goose Bay/ Happy Valley...see you then.....good Night.

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-04-2008 at 05:31 PM
Old 07-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #150
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

HondaChopper......my man; rest assured that COD(the fish) has tonques and fish have tonques like we do...eh. Us Americans throw everything away that's indeed edible. We don't like to look at unsightly foods, yet we eat it so long we havent seen it. YES, I am restless in moving on but am at the mercy of nature and the slow pace here in regard to the ferry. The ferry runs only 2 times a week, got here too early and now I pay the piper.