Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #166
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Nope...Barry didn't do it on a bicycle. He did the lab road in a van and he said that was difficult!!! Can't imagine what you're going through!!

Be safe---take it easy and quit for the day if need be.

Hondachopper.
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #167
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
wow, breathtaking pictures of the sea, sun set/sun rise and your very own iceberg...is it named yet?? you do look weathered and a bit beaten. A day or two of rest shall get you back up to the challenge. Hopefully, it won't get any more worse than what you've been through so far! Ride safe!!

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:24 PM   #168
ADV Goat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Wow this is a great report can't wait to see more. I sold my KTM 950 Adventure and just reserved a R1200 GS Adventure will pick it up in a mounth I can't wait to start traveling with it.
ADV Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #169
wide track
Banned

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abendteuerfahrer
Ruh Roh.....hi there...nice to know that some other deaf riders are monitoring my side. This is all for you..it's being dedicated to all deaf riders of America. Yes, I missed the Texas Deaf Rally, was too busy with planning and get my bike ready. However one of our Eastern Deaf Biker member did attend the rally from Maryland. I am a member of EDB as well. Hope that I make it to Labrador where I will nail the EDB logo on the wall in some bar in hope that one day 'ANY" deaf biker is to remove it and bring it back to the President of EDB, who will reward you with somethng for the return of the emblem. Details later......Ride safe, ride far..see you on the road.

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD
I am not bashful, I have had a hearing problem most of my life. Started wearing hearing aids in 1959, its has been down hill since then. My problem is mostly word definition, I may be able to hear you, but not a clue as to what you said. I like you depend on closed captioning. The telephone is my worst enemy.

I have done a lot of landscape photography over the years and I am impressed with your photography. Your view points have been great, I also see the Lumix is producing good results.

Keep up the good photos and printed reports, I admire your moxie. Ride Safe
wide track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #170
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Outa Churchill Falls and into Labrador City...

Left this morning at about 0800 hours in order to get to Labrador City in good time. It took me about 5 hours, while it normally takes 3 hours. Heard from a GS rider(2-up) at the Midway Inn in Chruchill Falls that there was heavy construction going on that stretch.

Carried an additional 2 gal can of gas..

The first 25 km was my favorite road; hard packed dirt/mud(when it rains). This road stretch I consider class A+. Semi hard and excellent riding using Michelin Anakee's.

Tires were singing: "O'sole mio....la di la da.....Was a happy man!

Environmental splendor with the hard packed dirt...

Remnands of the castrated Chruchill Falls river that was gored, diverted underground to supply power......

The beautiful Falls are no more, yet beautiful rock formation that was carved by the falls for generations.

Steel grated bridge over the former Falls..

Still good roadway....

Doable....50 mph...

WTF......marbles again...

Taking a break on Marbles....

Gazillion marbles, gravel, sand...boulders, you name it..

Leaf/Needle less tree landscape....strong winds also prevail here...coming across the roadway. Be careful where the winds will push you into...

That one I classify as grade "B"...reasonably rideable...

It's hard packet at the whitish strip... so ride on it up to 70 km/h if you feel confident...

MERDE(shit)....well getting closer to Quebec Province, got to practice some French...

Like I said bikers have a love and hate affair with graders..they're fukin' up a perfectly good road

If you hit this "merde".... you end up in the deep ditch and be not found for days....bear chow...SO slow to a snails pace until gone

First Rail Road crossing that I encountered in the wilderness

Giving my wonderful steed, Brunhilde, a break, actually it's me that needs a water and expresso granola bar break...

Majestic Rivers abound with Trout and Salmon....

Free Snowmobile...

Went through heavy construction 4 times during the day. It was too cumbersome and rough trying to picture the sites. Had to occassionally stand on pegs in order to balance the bike through muck, rocks, sand and gravel at 5-8 mph. You try this with your HD, or Wing, he...

Voila, Labrador City in sight...but the road to get there was...more Merde, shit, Scheisse, Ca-ca...man, my arms and legs gave way...then finally I hit asphalt and zoomed off in GS style at 80 mph....glorious, breeze in the air, bugs in your teeth....aaaahhhhhh..I love thee O' asphalt! Wherefore hath thou been...?

Hereeeee it is: Labrador City, the last town in Labrador before getting to Vive la Quebec....

Well, back to semi civilization, only for a day.. and hate it, love the wilderness, solitude, serenity...wet, cold. Will take gravel anytime over this MacDonaldized, Wal-Martized, Tim Hortonized town. No offense to the towns people..but it sucks after almost 10 days in wild, wonderful LABRADOR.

But tomorrow I will once again re-enter my realm...wild wonderful Province of Quebec for another 500 km of on/off twisty gravel and paved roads. So stay tuned....and practice your high school French, there will be plenty of it. Bonjour, Mes Amis!

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-15-2008 at 02:57 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #171
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
yaaaaaaa, you are almost coming to the end of your Labrador ride!! More glorious pictures of the wild frontier...love it! Can't blame you for not loving gravel..especially when construction crew working on laying new gravel as those are the worst kind to ride on!! Good luck and heed all those tight turns tomorrow...ride safe.

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #172
pennymiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Howdy! Been reading all of this gravelly stuff with great interest! Shore wish i'd share all of this gravel with you!

Keep it up and drive with care on the rest of the pesky gravel road! It will be over before you say Jackie Robinson!

These pixes are great and pluhz keep them coming and you will surpass your frau in the photography department!
pennymiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #173
hondachopper
Adventurer

Smile---I like your "french". Learned a new cuss word!!!

Enjoying your RR.

Hondachopper
Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #174
pennymiler
Adventurer

Unnersan abuot the civilization bit, especially after a few days without it. Yeah.

Probably the stiffest test lay ahead of you tomorrow as you will approach the gravel twsits and turns.

Again, wish I'd ride alongside you beckoning you to speed it up, ha.

Please acknowledge me, even though I am very confident that you recognize me!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #175
ruh roh
hey Yall

Oddometer: 296
well, Im gonna give it a try too. Headed to Colorado tomorrow. But i dont think i try gravel roads yet on my street tires and bike.

we need invent Deaf wave too, ha. I vote for this :

hehehe
Old 07-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #176
hondachopper
Adventurer

Logged on to get my daily fix and no Abendteuerfahrer!!!

Bet you're pooped with dealing with all that gravel. Looking forward to stories when you're up to it...

Hondachopper
Old 07-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #177
pennymiler
Adventurer

Hey hondachopper, he busy counting all those gravel as he will not see any more today as he is fast approaching Baie-Comeau as he should arrive there by nightfall.

Been tracking his movement from Labrador City as he left there yestiddy morning and stayed at a half way outpost near another hydroelectric plant.

Looking forward to his post this evening as he shud be in the hi-fi friendly atmosphere.

Way to go, adventure rider ( I dont know the German word for it yet, excuse me)! Attaboy Kraut!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #178
scubasmith67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Great stuff, you are truly an inspiration. Your ride report is great! Lots of great pictures and the stories are very engaging and interesting. Such detail really makes me feel like I am there. Continue on your journey safely and I wish you all the best.
scubasmith67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #179
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Mission Accomplished..................

Veni Vedi Vici

LABRADOR
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #180
Nan-Lo
Studly Adventurer