Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #181
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
WOWIEEEEEEEE glad to know you made it out of Labrador without a scathe!!!?? or did you?? Looking forward to your follow-up posting and PIC, PIC, PIC!! Waiting with anticipation...

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #182
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
This thread is worth nothing without pics!!!! Where are the pics!!!

Hondachopper
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #183
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,282
Bienvenue QUEBEC...

For two days there was no internet available in the wilds of Quebec. Difficult to believe that I have finally left Labrador after almost 10 days there. I shall forever miss it..not necessarily the roads, but its Land and peoples.

According to travel precautions reading materials regarding entering the wild roads of northern Quebec(rt #389): " darn awful ...to class "A".

Gased up in the first french town of Fermont, another company owned town.

It's from now on to, " Bonjour...ca va?'; "Comment vous appelez-vous"....;... Merde!....Fukez vous!!

The walled town of Fermont which has the last gas station for getting to Relais Gabriel.

This housing complex houses; living quarters; mini-mall; hotel; eateries; entertainment areas; sports facilities, etc in these buikdings. It's known as the "Wall". The sturdier and insulated areas face North, for the wintery onslaugh in the winter months.

Tonka Toy Truck...??? My Beemer is bigger, snatch!!!

Then for something like 40 km the road remains paved ....oh, glorious pavement.......vvrrooommmmm, I throttle Brunhilde who hasn't seen 4-5000 rpms in a while....

vvrrooommmmm...............

Same road with view of mountains stripped of its ore...now left to die!

LO and behold; route 500 ends and the worst section of Quebecs route 389 begins. Pictures do not justice again, you practically have to lay on the ground and picture baseball sized rocks...these are not gravels..ROCKS..Fukez vous..double Merde!

This is ridiculous....I know it's not a bike road, but its just as bad for cars. It's designed for Trucks..and what's more it's for 67 km of twisty roads. I thought this is it...I QUIT...have the bike shipped, stones and all. I am ridin' the bus home to sweet North Carolina....Eh, well , I ain't a quitter so gulped and said.."Fukez vous several times......".

First wooden plank bridge crossing....

Damn soft after the rock road....wiggles all day at about 30 mph...

Not only that...trucks by the tons came through: blinding the passage..spewing rocks..choking your sinuses...: pray for rain. The roads were so twisty, curve, hilly that turning around a 5 mph bend is darn dangerous; standing on the pegs all the time, but can't do it for hours...gotta sit.

Although the environment is still so beautiful....

Look down at these Fukez rocks....

After about 50 km I rolled at about 30 mph...don't exactly know what happened, whether I was gazing at the scenery or became complacent...

The front wheel caught something, felt a shimmy and couldn't get out of it..cut the throttle..no dice...kapoww we crashed..! The left side crash bars hit the ground and spun Brunhilde around where I was catapulted free from the bike. Learned to try to fall away from a falling bike. Don't want the 600 lbs taking a bite of you.

Took my breath. Checked for any broken bones...all clear. I always wear ATGATT. Probably thanks to ATGATT(armoured shoulder pads; armoured elbow pads; armoured hip pads and armoured knee pads; all build in the gear, not a scratch on by aging body). My heart of course leaped up to my throat. Cold sweats pulsated out of my entire body. Breathing increased: STRESS....

Calmed down; gulped some water and evaluated the sitaution: HOW to lift heavy fat Brunhilde; she has gained weigh!

Checked if anything was broken or seriously damaged, None! These GS'es are made to accept reasonable falls. they're designed as such. Tough babes!

Removed all top gear...then tried using the right way to lift a bike: place your butt against the seat on the fall side. Right arm graps the handle bar that is on the floor; left arm graps the holds of the rear platform or even the sidecases. I grunted and grunted...feet could not get grip in this gravel dirt. Slipped everytime. Made several attempts to no avail. No grip and too heavy for a man of my stature. Gotta wait for help if it ever comes along today. Walked around and tired to relax and assess how it might have happened...????

More water and the jacket goes off. Decided to use a different strategy. Lift the bike using my left arm on the handlebars and the right on the rear platform, body facing forward. Some lift was evident but not enough to get her to balance. My strength wasn't there, then for some reason I used my left knee as a platform to rest the side of the bike while it is lifted a bit more after each grunt. Catch my breath, before making another attempt to lift it higher up my knee. Success....!! success...but with all brute strength that I had I also felt a slight snap in my lower back, ugh...I didn't collapse but had one ounce of strength left to lift it to its balance point; kick-stand kicked out...DONE..she's up. Phew....more water, sat down and rested. Then slowly repacked her when a car came by and asked if all was well. "Qui, non problem, Madam...Bonjour!"

Duct Tape.....Don't leave home without it!

Dent in sidecase..

Back on the road...ravaged scenery...

89 km of paved road from Fire Lake to the ghost town of Gagnon, vvrrooommm..........Gagnon was rained out and didn't want to ruin my camera..so rode through it in pouring rain. Gagnon, dismantled in 1985 after the mining company who closed its doors.

Impeding rain clouds on the horizon...

Back to ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....gravel

Les Rocks..

Emergency phone now and then, won't do me nuthin', am deaf( Hi Frenchie..."Je suis sourd"....comprendez vous...??) No TTY; Non-sous-titree!

Took a break and spied a hiking trail..cool.....hiking trail this far out in the wilds..

As far as the eye can see....on the way to Relais Gabriel, an outpost, for dinner and the night........

Outpost Relais Gabriel

"Bonjour, Madam..Ca va?"...'Good, you're fine. "Madam I have a reservation for tonight. " She didn't get my English...and muttered something..with her hands waving in the air. I mentioned that I am "sourd"...eh! She started calling someone on the phone telling them that a deaf biker wants a room! "Parlez vous Anglais" I asked. "Non" she challantly responded. )Merde!! "Madam si vous plait....blah, blah. I wrote down my name and mentioned with my hand that its in the register for reservation tonight. "Ah, Qui, monsieur Hayes"....I could tell by her bulging veins in her neck that she was shouting in order for me to hear. Finally she relented and said, "Welcome..".
WTF........shittezzz...Fukez vous..

This establishment according to some of my readings in the past has shown that this place has turned away HD riders with attidutes and loud pipes, pretending to be full. I knew that and dressed myself in the best BMW regalia, combed my hair and beard, wiped my feet outside and came in with a booming, "BONJOUR.." GOT A ROOM...EH!

Hallway....Foyer..!!

Hall Bath or Wash room

Le Kitchen

Le Grande Dinning Room....

Steak le Jambon...

Ugh, canned Ham with pineapple toppings..nerve calling it STEAK, I wuz hungry and ate it regardless of its French name...

Watching TV with le sous-titree...

From my window...

A short walk down the slopes..

Silence; Stille; Silencio; Peace...

The beauty of decay...

FLEURS.....

Know the difference when you come here....

Essence sans Blomp...

Road dirt from, Newfoundland, Labrador, Quebec...Brunhilde needs a bath. This is honorable dirt of a long traveler. SHOW ME YOUR DIRT, HD!

These roads that I rode on are closed in the winter when inclement snows hit the area; snows to about 5 meters..

Ecological Preserve...read on. High School French anyone.....?

Typical Quebec road work signal. Its about a 120 second wait for the next passage. Try to look forward and see the dark dirt road that I had to traverse; standing on pegs all the way about 200 yards of deep much, stones, boulders and had the guys look and cheers at my dances with Brunhilde.

Quebecs Manic 5 Dam; hydropower...answer to Labradors Chruchill Falls..

This is the nastiest curve one must traverse. Loose gravel, sand..under the watchful eye of the Dam guards.

These Dams are massive and was too tired to tour another hydroplant.

Storms a' brewin'......

40 more degrees then there's the Pole

The gravel road from Labrador and Quebec ends here at the Manic 5 Dam.

I kiss thee o' pavement. Thou art heavenly....

Pavement leading into the arms of my Frau soon.....

My dear readers: The Labrador Sojourn is over and I am slowly on my way home. It's been the most satisfying vacation I have ever taken. It was nature at it's best and I have an evermore respect of its beauty and power.
Without it we as a people don't survive.
I hasten to tell you, be kind to it, keep it clean..nourish it...and most of all love it and it will love you in return. I leave this final picture taken somewhere along the gravel trail....

TAKE NOTHING AND LEAVE ONLY THIS....

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-03-2008 at 10:41 AM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #184
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Ahhhh...Thanks for the wonderful RR. I check here every night to see your stories!!! Congrats on a great trip. Welcome back to the world of Mc Donalds, Starbucks and traffic! I felt like I was right behind you eating your dust.

Ride safe on your way home.

Thanks so much for your contribution...

Hondachopper
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:31 PM   #185
CSMaillet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Great ride report ... thank you !!!
YZ450f
CSMaillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #186
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54

Félicitations pour un succès ride! Thank you for the wonderful journey you took us all through. I feel like we took a spill with you on the gravel...glad you and Brunhilde didn't break anything. Don't end your ride report...keep writing and tell us about your journey home. Look forward to your perspective as a deaf motorcycle rider in USA.
Keep posting...

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #187
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

I will try to post the stretch it takes me to go home to North Carolina. Currently I am in Baie Comeau, QC. Plan on resting for two days and see the sights a bit. Getting ready to cross the Ferry from here to Matane on the other side, then head...????? Vermont...Adirondacks....Penna...?? Will keep you posted.

Good Night..Bonne Nuit

Cheers,

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD
Old 07-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #188
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Bonjour, PENNYMILER, a penny miler you sure are. Can't catch up unless I decide not to return to NC and start collecting some more Canadian Provinces with the likes of Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Get yourself a 50/50 bike and we'll do more together. Let's do the Baie St. James, the Taiga..even Alaska next season. Age is catching up with me, so gotta hurry and do a few more before I can no longer squat over the bike....

Cheers,

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD
Old 07-17-2008, 07:21 PM   #189
c munch
Destination unknown

Oddometer: 476
Really great report . That's a trip I hope to complete some day . Now all I need is a month of from work & the family , oh yhea it's nice to dream but waking up just sucks.

Thanks for taking us on your trip.
2006 CBR600RR Track only
2010 ktm 990 ADV
c munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:46 AM   #190
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
Excellent report! I've really enjoyed following along and learning about an area I knew nothing about!

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:34 AM   #191
deafPOPEYE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Hurrah!!!!!!!!

Whew!!! Gravel is sure an enemy but you beat to it! SPINACH POWER!!! Glad you write off one of your wildest dreams. You are READY for Global riding with your GS. Congrats!!!
Will hear MUCH MORE from you!

I dont speak German, French, Russian but flying hands in ASL.

Ride safe HOME to Olive Oyl. Pennymiler, we oughta to ride 50/50 bikes with him next year!!! So, we wont receive medals for ur cowardice.

deafPOPEYE
deafPOPEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:20 AM   #192
pennymiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Guten morgen!!
Well done abendteuerfahrer (yes, I have it down pat)!

At long last you are baaaaack to civilization whether you like it or not, but this is where we live, sorry.

So you had your first spill toward the near of the gravelly end, but glad nothing came out of it worthy of a mention. Your investment in clothier and vehicular equipement shore paid off!

Since you are taking the ferry into Matane, it appears like you may be tempted to redo the Gaspe Peninsula and finish it?

I will share your gravelly feat with the EDB crowd at Elliicott City this evening, among the likes of deafroadrunner and deafjax.

We will all love if you will stop by for an overnight on way to your frau.

Enjoy your stay for a coupla days before you proceed with the ferrying.

Way to go abendteuerfahrer, abendteuerfahrer! see ya before long unless you go astray off somewhere or even retracing the gravel road back to Labrador!
pennymiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:37 AM   #193
pennymiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Did the rear directional light actually break from the famous fall? looks like not from the way the bike leant to the left. Did you take a somersault?
pennymiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:05 AM   #194
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

PENNYMILER....Buenos Dias,...oops..am in French Canada, pardonez..."Bonjour" , in my best estimate I think the system cases (Micatech) interferred with their flexibility on their brackets. I believe the impact from the grounding moved the system case into area of the signal light, knocking it off. You can see from the pics of the broken lens how close they are to the system case.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #195
LosTabarnacos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hi Elmer, We met this morning at McDonalds. Have a good trip and take care...