Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #196
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,278
Had a good nights sleep even though awoke too early getting ready for the next gravel ride, but it was not to be....whew!!! Slept until 0800 hrs, kinda late for me. Ate breakfast of cheese and toast. Food here I must admit is the pits..absolutely horrible. Plenty of junk...nothing what the French are famous for "gastronomique" ain't here. It's probably in Quebec City and Montreal.

Took Brunhilde for a washdown. Looked all over and couldn't find it and then was approached by a French Canadian in a parking lot, who wanted to know how the Labrador ride was when he saw my decals on the system cases. Told him that I was "Sourd"...and he noticed that I was Americain'. Mouthing slowly in English that he was a local paper writer and would I mind to have a picture taken with me and the bike as he was about to write something in the local paper for the town and will send me a copy(in French of course). No problem! Then he helped me to the car wash where a Merde fukez attendant looked at me in puzzlement that I wanted to blast my bike clean. Asked him how to operate this system, because it was broken down and in French. "Mucho Dollar, por favor!" Eh,..gave me the stares and walked away. Spanish did't help...maybe thought he'd like Mexicans better?? No dice.

Somehow figured how to start the system. Boommm...wooosshhh.

Dryed her in Le Soleil under the Golden Arches......

Not Funny, but Ray Krogs Golden Arches here in Quebec has one of the best Javas around, bar none...

Encore du Cafe, s'il vous plait.

Adorned Brunhilde with local Fleurs and thanked her for a job well done. Couldn't have done without her. She endured the worst of poundings in her 3 years, went through thick and thin.

As for tomorrow I looking at the Ferry schedule from Baie Comeau to Matane. It's only a 2.5 hr crossing the St. Lawrence River but the times are not to my liking. The Ferry departs for Matane at 2000 hrs. Eight PM.., that late..then on Sunday at 1400 and again 2000 hrs. Furthermore it's BOOKED....Merde...Don't want to linger any longer in this forsaken Town. SO, I guess as you guessed it, I will head 'avec les horreurs et les cieux souci' toward Quebec City.....and aim for Sherbrooke, QC.

Bonne journée

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #197
Lil Henry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Keep it up!

My mother and father graduated from VSDB, place makes for beautiful pictures.

Lil Henry screwed with this post 06-30-2009 at 05:29 PM
Lil Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #198
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

A Message To My Edb Club Members......

This is for the Members of EDB....ONLY...

Thomas Quinn, President of Eastern Deaf Bikers, Germantown, Maryland

Dear Tom and dear members of EDB…

I wrote this previously in Churchill Falls, Labrador and have not posted it until now in Baie Comeau, QC, where I currently am resting my weary bones after an arduous ride of 8 sections of the TLH (Trans Labrador Highway). Just wanted to make sure that I had a safe and uneventful passage before posting. I have decided to issue you a challenge in good will and because this must be seen before one dies or the Labrador highway gets paved (which I seriously doubt) beyond oblivion. I believe that I am the first culturally deaf motorcycle rider to ride the TLH. There has been no documentation to come forthwith otherwise. I have also dedicated this trip to all deaf bikers of America and especially to my club, EDB, and its President. I had with permission of Mr. Carey Noble, manager of the Midway Travel Inn ( GPS coordinates--N 53 31.932’; W 064 00.692’) placed, posted and tacked our EDB emblem patch inside a display case with other items. It is to remain there until any dues paying EDB member comes here and removes it from its case and delivers it to its President. The lucky EDB member must be in good standing with the club. For these efforts I will contribute $500 to the treasury of the club and will also award $500 cash to one rider that successfully rode through, liberated the emblem and returned it physically to the club in Maryland. The lead-rider can be accompanied with other support groups, but only one rider will be awarded the prize. The simple requirement is that the rider/s must roughly follow the counter clockwise circumnavigation of my previous ride. There is no time limit and I think that the EDB patch shall remain in good hands for the duration of 1 year and ending in September of 2009. In the event, that the patch has been removed or lost. The rider must then photograph himself with the manager and its environments. Every Provincional welcome sign must also be photographed. Four Ferries must be boarded, etc. Everything must be documented to show proof that the excursion was actually undertaken. Further specific detailed information can be acquired with the author as he returns to the club.

I apologize for the quality of the pictures

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-18-2008 at 02:07 PM
Old 07-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #199
Tail Gunner
Life is Good !!!

Oddometer: 1,569
Congratulation's on your journey. Great RR, thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Andrew
Tail Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #200
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

LOSTABARNACOS....many thanks for leading me to the car wash. Brunhilde looks clean and relieved. Wishing you to comtemplate a ride I took. Merci...!
Old 07-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #201
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy

Oddometer: 616
Talking

I have enjoyed following your reports from day one and I have never been disappointed, your pictures are fantastic and you commentary well written, thank you very much for sharing your grand adventure with all of us!

I am also glad to hear your spill was a minor one with very little damage to Brunhilde as well as yourself. Please keep us informed of your travels home.

Take care and ride safe!
Old 07-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #202
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
yaaaaaa, you're not leaving us YET!!! Again, thanks for the wonderful journey and glad u are OK!! Look forward to more pics and report til you arrive home safe.

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #203
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 2,846
While up North

Is a ride through the Adirondacks and the Catskill mountains being considered?
Or are you taking the Interstates home?

Plug and Plug.
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #204
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

OLDLION....After a tub of Ben & Jerry in south Burlington, VT., then YES, I'll head through the Adirondacks. NOOOOOO way will I hit the Interstates. Charles Kuralts quote is always in my mind.

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything."
Old 07-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #205
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Au Revoir Canada....soon HELLO USA....!!!

It's kind of sad leaving Baie Comeau. It's the final road leaving the TLH into civilization, counter-clockwise that is! Coming down route 138, I can see changes...driving attitudes, the smell of pollution, human stress. I rode all the way, with some diversions from route 138 to Quebec City and finally stopping for the night in Victoriaville, QC. Here are some of the pictures taken while en route.

On route 138

St. Lawrence River Shore Line

Typical Shore Cottages

Typical Village

Town Art...

Old 07-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #206
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,891
Your photographs really tell the story well. I suppose that is appropriate. Very nicely done and very elegantly documented!

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post24898278
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:41 PM   #207
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Your ride isn't over---yet. Keep the stories going. Your pictures---your writing style beats TV every-time! I rather live through your eyes than listen to some idiot on a TV set!!

You may not realize---Many people are living your ride. Keep the spirit up and spread hopes and dreams for others...

Roadrat
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #208
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

On the way to the route 138 free ferry....route 138 is split by a river, instead of building a bridge, they ferry you free across to continue route 138. Cool...

Fly your own plant to any Lake: fish n' swim..fly home....splendite!

Déjeuner

Poulet et Frites....

Lovely Maitre'D................

Brunhilde drooling...

Residents along route 138...

Le Chien..

Arte...

Every Town has its Church with tall steeples; typical European...

On the road to Cite Quebec...

Finally arrived in Victoriaville, QC,,got a room at a local Hotel and since this is my last day in Canada. I decided to splurge a bit. No mo Le MacDonald; Fukez Tim Hortons; or PFK( Poulet Frites Kentucky)=Kentucky Fried Chicken that is!

This is REAL food and been feasting on asphalt????

Reading my last French daily news...

Notice this is the real thing> I deserve it. Real cream container; real sugar bowl; real silver ware...great coffee...outrageous Ceasars Salade; local brew...no Merde here...and for only 28 CAD.....am a happy camper.

Brochettes d'agneau.....

Burp!...pardonez..............

YOUR MAN ON THE ROAD
Old 07-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #209
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
Eating in style...a well deserved meal tonight!! Way to go Man On The Road...as always, you do the pictures with good frame and selections all the way through. I appreciate your style as well as your sense of humor! Look forward to the rest of your trip home.

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #210
Hospitaler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hello Abendteuer fahrer! So happy to hear you completed your big adventure ride. Here is a picture of the other half. We were hoping to cross paths with you at some point. We got back to Maine on the 13th all in one piece with no major problems except a flat tire when we got to Churchill Falls. We also stayed at the same Hotel. Fantastic people!
Loved your pictures. Will post pics of our encounter with construction about 10 miles from Labrador. Un?!#$ing believable. Carmella & Tony

Hospitaler is offline   Reply With Quote